All in one cookers

I have an Instant Pot (not the one that does yoghurt tho) and it gets used at least once a week, usually more often. To be honest I don't use most of the pre-programmed functions.....I pretty much only use the manual pressure cook, slow cook, steam, saute and keep warm functions. I find the manual pressure cook is far more flexible for beans, rice, meat, eggs etc. than the pre-programmed ones. NEVER use the e Instant Pot rice programme....its terrible lol, whereas on the manual programme rice comes out perfectly every time.

Problem with 'multi-function' devices is when one bit goes wrong/stops working you can't just throw it away and get another 'bit'.
PS - Pressure cookers are good for family camping trips too - almost a full dinner cooked quickly [you are always hungry outdoors] on one burner

I don't soak either. I just put them in the crockpot right before bed and by lunch time they are done.
Now do you add any kind of meat to yours?

Usually, it some kind of smoked meat. like a leftover ham bone, smoked neck bones or a smoked turkey wing, etc.. :wink:

Presto 8-qt Pressure Cooker..jpg

This is the one that I plan to get.

With this and the Big Kettle, they will be the only 2 cooking appliances that I would need. :wink:

Problem with 'multi-function' devices is when one bit goes wrong/stops working you can't just throw it away and get another 'bit'.
That's true - but I guess that the electronics are most likely to be the thing that gives up the ghost before the element (things like inner pot and sealing ring can easily be replaced if needed). I still like the fact that it takes up less space in the kitchen cupboard than having separate appliances, and as for the pressure cooker part its much easier to use than a stove top one: just programme it and it does it all itself. I always had problems keeping the stove top one at the right pressure.
PS - Pressure cookers are good for family camping trips too - almost a full dinner cooked quickly [you are always hungry outdoors] on one burner
LOL your camping trip sounds much more basic than mine....even when we tent camped I still had at least a double burner hob :)

That is true!

Even though pressure cookers might be good for camping out, unless you are camping in the backyard, you wouldn't want to use one of those electronic multi-cookers, since you'd need electrical power to be able to use it.

The old reliable cast iron Dutch Oven would be the better choice. :wink:

That is true!

Even though pressure cookers might be good for camping out, unless you are camping in the backyard, you wouldn't want to use one of those electronic multi-cookers, since you'd need electrical power to be able to use it.

Most campsites have pitches with EHU (electric hook up). When we tent camped we did a couple of seasons without electric but life is so much easier with it to run an electric cool box, hair dryer, lighting and charge gadgets. I love camping but I prefer to do so with a certain amount of comfort (its a holiday not an endurance test lol). Not sure that a dutch oven would be much use - aren't they supposed to be used in a fire rather than on a stove? Most campsites don't allow open fires.

But to be honest wouldn't take my multi-cooker with me any more than I used to take the old stove top pressure cooker - for me camping is about cooking outside on the bbq. Even now we have the motorhome (with a hob, grill and oven) I still stick to the bbq most of the time (even when we went away for a weekend just before Christmas!)

Lodge 5-qt cast iron Dutch Oven..jpg

Here's mine. It can be used on the stove, or hung over a fire. Also in the oven. :wink:

That is true!

When we tent camped, we got electric sites. Always took a small refrigerator and first a laptop then later a TV. Note we actually won both the laptop and tv. Oh and a fan.
We still camp but now we have a pop up camper.

Most campsites have pitches with EHU (electric hook up). When we tent camped we did a couple of seasons without electric but life is so much easier with it to run an electric cool box, hair dryer, lighting and charge gadgets. I love camping but I prefer to do so with a certain amount of comfort (its a holiday not an endurance test lol). Not sure that a dutch oven would be much use - aren't they supposed to be used in a fire rather than on a stove? Most campsites don't allow open fires.

But to be honest wouldn't take my multi-cooker with me any more than I used to take the old stove top pressure cooker - for me camping is about cooking outside on the bbq. Even now we have the motorhome (with a hob, grill and oven) I still stick to the bbq most of the time (even when we went away for a weekend just before Christmas!)
Dutch ovens are multi purpose. In a fire, on a fire, or some of the old ones had a lid designed to put coals on. You can even use them in a fire place. Some of your old wood stoves had a special burner (well) to fit a dutch oven. Cast iron unlike most modern cookware was designed to be multi purpose.
Not one or the other.

Dutch ovens are multi purpose. In a fire, on a fire, or some of the old ones had a lid designed to put coals on. You can even use them in a fire place. Some of your old wood stoves had a special burner (well) to fit a dutch oven. Cast iron unlike most modern cookware was designed to be multi purpose.
Not one or the other.
That's what I thought - I've never used one, but given the relatively low power output of a camping stove I would have thought you'd struggle to heat it evenly, or at least you'd burn through plenty of gas to do so.

That's what I thought - I've never used one, but given the relatively low power output of a camping stove I would have thought you'd struggle to heat it evenly, or at least you'd burn through plenty of gas to do so.
You cannot use a dutch oven on a camp stove due to the weight of the pan.
Some places here have burn bans. Others don't. Now a few years back all of Texas was under a burn ban.

Never come across a camp site here in the UK that allows fires - as for the TV and laptop :facepalm: we always liked our camping to be just a little bit "wilder" than that [ok not Bear Grylls stuff but not quite a hotel room in a field]

Never come across a camp site here in the UK that allows fires - as for the TV and laptop :facepalm: we always liked our camping to be just a little bit "wilder" than that [ok not Bear Grylls stuff but not quite a hotel room in a field]
There are quite a few campsites that allow fires, though most of them they have to be in a firepit off the ground (so probably still not suitable for a dutch oven) This site is one of the best for UK campsites and allows you to filter on all sorts of parameters, I use it a lot.

I think what I love most about camping is that there's no right or wrong way so it can be whatever you make of it :) Now we have the motorhome we do have a TV - its nice to be able to watch a film in an evening when its mid-December and its cold and pouring it down out there and the pub is too far away to walk to.

Back
Top Bottom