Beetroot

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:13 AM
Beetroot has become very chic. Chefs seem to love it! I'm a bit sceptical. Its strange combination of sweet and earthy tastes may well be its charm. But I reckon its also because the intense red adds such a dramatic dash to dishes. Don't get me wrong, I like it well enough. I think it needs to be paired with sour or salty ingredients for best effect: anchovies or capers or goat's cheese, for example. But, forget the idea of putting it in chocolate cake (and there are quite a few recipes for that!).

So..... do you eat beetroot often? And what do you do with it?

Eat it raw, much the same as an apple.
Prefer the unpeeled variety, washed before eating.

I love beetroot but cooked,we pickle our surplus,
I make a jam through the juicer and cook out with sugars serve with goats cheese
Or carpaccio of different coloured beet roots
Roasted with cummin
But made some juice with celery and it was very strong
I did the brownie as a novelty dish but it looses its identity

I love it on burgers! It's so good...and fairly common down under where I grew up.

4101855163_b2d31d38dd_z.jpg

A slice of beetroot is great in any sandwich. Mostly I use beetroot, cooked and sliced or diced, in salad. I have also had raw slivers in a type of coleslaw and I like shredded beetroot mixed with horseradish in a sauce.

I really do like the taste and texture of beetroot and am happy to eat it any way.

A slice of beetroot is great in any sandwich. Mostly I use beetroot, cooked and sliced or diced, in salad. I have also had raw slivers in a type of coleslaw and I like shredded beetroot mixed with horseradish in a sauce.

I really do like the taste and texture of beetroot and am happy to eat it any way.
Oh yes, I forgot horseradish. It goes perfectly with beetroot.

Raw?:eek: I've never come across that. What does it taste like?
I'm replying to myself. Having looked it up it seems that a lot of chefs/cooks use raw beetroot: Jamie, Yotem Ottolenghi and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall to name but a few. They all seem to cut it thin or julienne it. It seems there are immense health benefits from eating beetroot and raw beetroot is even better. So you must be in tip top condition @classic33!
http://www.clarejosa.com/raw-living-food-ingredients/beetroot/5-top-health-benefits-of-raw-beetroot/

Eat it raw, much the same as an apple
Prefer the unpeeled variety, washed before eating.
upload_2015-8-20_9-28-2.jpeg
I only know this one right here. What's the unpeeled variety Classic33? I love this one cooked and in a pineapple sauce that I pretty much make up as I go along. Vinegar, a little sugar, pineapple juice, a little olive oil etc.

The beet in burgers is news to me. Never saw it until now, not even in my traveling abroad. I think one day I will write all these 'new to me" things and go have a look in the supermarket to see what's available in this neck of woods.

I'm replying to myself. Having looked it up it seems that a lot of chefs/cooks use raw beetroot: Jamie, Yotem Ottolenghi and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall to name but a few. They all seem to cut it thin or julienne it. It seems there are immense health benefits from eating beetroot and raw beetroot is even better. So you must be in tip top condition @classic33!
http://www.clarejosa.com/raw-living-food-ingredients/beetroot/5-top-health-benefits-of-raw-beetroot/
I was eating it raw years ago, long before jamie arrived on the scene.

I like beetroot, but it has to be cooked and pickled for me. Actually you can use beetroot when making cakes. There are some recipes that call for beetroot. I've never tried any though.

I like beetroot, but it has to be cooked and pickled for me. Actually you can use beetroot when making cakes. There are some recipes that call for beetroot. I've never tried any though.
Its not worth bothering with the beetroot in the cake (as @Berties says). I agree. The taste gets lost. When you say 'cooked and pickled' do you mean the sort that comes cooked in vinegar? The taste of plain boiled or baked beetroot is very different form that. I'm sure that @Berties pickled ones are miles away from the bog-standard version we used to get at school!

Back
Top Bottom