Beetroot

Its not worth bothering with the beetroot in the cake (as @Berties says). I agree. The taste gets lost. When you say 'cooked and pickled' do you mean the sort that comes cooked in vinegar? The taste of plain boiled or baked beetroot is very different form that. I'm sure that @Berties pickled ones are miles away from the bog-standard version we used to get at school!

IWon't bother using it in a cake then. And yes, I prefer the ones in vinegar.

View attachment 1345 I only know this one right here. What's the unpeeled variety Classic33? I love this one cooked and in a pineapple sauce that I pretty much make up as I go along. Vinegar, a little sugar, pineapple juice, a little olive oil etc.
This after washing, topping & tailing
Beetroot.jpg

Well, other than washing them, there's no real difference in how they're eaten.
Its the idea of munching into them raw, like an apple which I find weird. I'm going to have to get some, just to try it. Do you eat turnips, swedes and parsnips like this too?

Its the idea of munching into them raw, like an apple which I find weird. I'm going to have to get some, just to try it. Do you eat turnips, swedes and parsnips like this too?
Turnip I've sliced or quartered & eaten this way. Parsnips aren't that much different to carrots.

Turnip I've sliced or quartered & eaten this way. Parsnips aren't that much different to carrots.
Parsnips taste very different from carrots! Perhaps they don't when raw. I've never tried raw parsnip. OK, tomorrow its my day for eating raw veg. I'm always up for a new challenge.

Apparently this is a great way of losing weight. Eat what you like (no limit!) but you aren't allowed to have anything that has been cooked. So you can't have bread, for example. Apart from nuts and avocado, its quite difficult to exceed calories if you eat that way.

Back
Top Bottom