Calling all Americans!

The Velvet Curtain

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:35 AM
Leicester: Where Britain keeps its crisps
Here in Britain we do not have a dish that remotely resembles biscuits and gravy - and as far as I can see there is nothing in Europe either.

So come on America, lets have your very best recipe for biscuits and gravy. I promise I will cook it this weekend and post the results.:okay:

Just so you know, anything containing chitlins is right out :facepalm:

Mod.note: Please post any recipes as a new thread with a link in this thread.

Edit: I don't need your own family recipe, a weblink to one you rate is great.

Last edited:
The nearest thing we have to American biscuits is a scone. In fact, the recipes are quite similar. But we wouldn't serve scones with gravy...

Bring it on and I'll cook it too.:D

I'm not sure about ALL Americans as this is much more of a specific Southern dish.

As far as I understand it, there are 2 separate entities to this dish. The easy one is making the sausage gravy. The more difficult one is making light, flaky, buttery biscuits.

I'm not sure about ALL Americans as this is much more of a specific Southern dish.

As far as I understand it, there are 2 separate entities to this dish. The easy one is making the sausage gravy. The more difficult one is making light, flaky, buttery biscuits.

I'm learning already...

I understand that it is a Southern thing, I just wanted to get everyone's attention :D

In the States, at least in the South, cobbler is a fruit based dessert with some kind of pastry or biscuits (our biscuits, usually with sugar) on top. No gravy unless you count the fruit juices thickened with sugar and sometimes corn starch, tapioca, or other thickening agents.

In the States, at least in the South, cobbler is a fruit based dessert with some kind of pastry or biscuits (our biscuits, usually with sugar) on top. No gravy unless you count the fruit juices thickened with sugar and sometimes corn starch, tapioca, or other thickening agents.
We have savoury ones here as well as sweet ones. In fact I've just found a recipe on my phone for "beef cobbler with cheddar and rosemary scones" and this one definitely has gravy https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beef_cobbler_with_79871

IMy sil, who is a native Appalachian from the western woods of Virginia, gave me her recipe for sausage gravy a long time ago. I 've only made sausage gravy once, and while it certainly wasn't authentic, it was tasty

I uncased some basic sweet Italian style pork sausage, (it is called Italian here because it has things like oregano, parsley, and garlic in it).

The chunks of sausage were fried until brown in a good cm of corn oil in a cast iron skillet. Flour is stirred into the oil until it begins to cook and lose that raw flour taste, then milk is stirred in along with salt and pepper. I also added a few sprigs of thyme. It is simmeted until thickened, and more salt and pepper is added to season to taste.

The hot biscuits are split in half to open up, and the gravy is poured over top.

I'll have to go see if I can figure out amounts.

IMy sil, who is a native Appalachian from the western woods of Virginia, gave me her recipe for sausage gravy a long time ago. I 've only made sausage gravy once, and while it certainly wasn't authentic, it was tasty

I uncased some basic sweet Italian style pork sausage, (it is called Italian here because it has things like oregano, parsley, and garlic in it).

The chunks of sausage were fried until brown in a good cm of corn oil in a cast iron skillet. Flour is stirred into the oil until it begins to cook and lose that raw flour taste, then milk is stirred in along with salt and pepper. I also added a few sprigs of thyme. It is simmeted until thickened, and more salt and pepper is added to season to taste.

The hot biscuits are split in half to open up, and the gravy is poured over top.

I'll have to go see if I can figure out amounts.
That's definitely a lot of oil :eek: so it's basically a bechamel with sausage.

I make sausage gravy two ways, a standard one using Jimmy Dean's original sausage and one using our homemade bulk andouille sausage. I'll have to post the recipe later as I don't actually use a recipe and nothing is written down.

Back
Top Bottom