Can someone explain peeling eggs?

Stage 1 of test carried out. I boiled 2 eggs in water and 2 with vinegar added. Verdict: No detectable difference. But (and its a big but) both lots of eggs were easier to peel than the last ones I did! In fact, they weren't too difficult really. It may be because they are 3 days older (from the same box) as the others I did. :scratchhead:

As an egg ages the (protein) white starts to break down - this is why when poaching an old egg the white dissolves in the water instead of holding together. Not sure if this has an effect on how the white binds with the shell during boiling. Can only suggest extreme change of temperature - boiling water into iced water, same principle as with tomatoes but in reverse.

Stage 1 of test carried out. I boiled 2 eggs in water and 2 with vinegar added. Verdict: No detectable difference. But (and its a big but) both lots of eggs were easier to peel than the last ones I did! In fact, they weren't too difficult really. It may be because they are 3 days older (from the same box) as the others I did. :scratchhead:
If you have 2 more eggs left, can you try it out with plain water and another with sodium bicarbonate in it?

She's on electric!
hence the etc... so I would need to know that they were the same ring size and the same input, type of pan... hence I was just settling for one in plain water and one in water with sodium bicarb added... rather than putting my scientific hat on... which can lead ot all sorts of trouble including being raided by armed police who have decided that you are an organic chemistry PhD drop out with the knowledge to easily make drugs, living in a rural area with loads of woodland right up against the house - a high electricity bill because they guy in the double garage uses masses because he only has storage radiators for heating and has them on full all of the time... and I could easily carry on, but have forgotten to mention that my credit cards were stolen from a website I had purchased something from, then turned up with someone trying ot use them to purchase chloroform (for those not knowing a solvent used to purify certain types of drugs).... I was standing in the garden not wearing a lot, actually in the veg plot with in wellies with a rather large very sharp outdoor knife harvesting veg when they turned up in armed minibuses (2 of, plus a variety of other vehicles which all blocked my track and left no-one with any room to turn around, so they all had to reverse 1/2 mile back down the track and onto the road to get out)... needless to say I'm here and not elsewhere and it didn't take them anytime whatsoever to realise someone had made a massive mistake. They could have settled for the easy option, release a dog into the woodland, knock on my door and ask if I minded if they went looking for it. That happened at least 2 or 3 times a month when someone had lost a dog whilst walking it on the nature reserve... anyhow, this has nothing to do with eggs anymore.... so I will stop there.

Yeo peeling eggs.... mine are still not old enough in the fridge to peel easily - but I may just try this lunchtime and see what happens. If I can find 2 eggs with the same date on them, problem is they are different sizes, different shell thicknesses and from different hens... unless I go with the same hen and consecutive days?

Just done a bit of checking, and an old method seems to surface. With the same reason given every time. No mention of age of the egg

Remove the eggs from water and place in a bowl filled with ice and cold water to chill completely.

Putting the eggs in the cold water causes the egg to shrink slightly and pull back from the shell making it easy to peel.

And no feathers!

Just done a bit of checking, and an old method seems to surface. With the same reason given every time. No mention of age of the egg

Remove the eggs from water and place in a bowl filled with ice and cold water to chill completely.

Putting the eggs in the cold water causes the egg to shrink slightly and pull back from the shell making it easy to peel.

And no feathers!
And yet I often peel them easily when they are too hot to hold and you need a tissue or t-towel to hold them in.

And no feathers!
I left two eggs in ice cold water today and they were much easier to peel!

I am pretty sure I saw a method that worked a long time ago.. I'll have to search hard for it but it might be the cold water. All I will say is that I was trying to impress my son some time recently with a perfect peel and by the end of it I only wanted to peel the shame off my face. It wasn't good at all. They were quite some damaged two eggs one more than the other.:headshake:

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I saw a method that worked a long time ago.. I'll have to search hard for it but it might the cold water. All I will say is that I was trying to impress my son some time recently with a perfect peel and by the end of it I only wanted to peel the shame off my face. It wasn't good at all. They were quite some damaged two eggs one more than the other.:headshake:
:D:laugh::laugh:

You got egg on your face, so to speak!

:D:laugh::laugh:

You got egg on your face, so to speak!
Truth be told perhaps my son should have been the one embarrassed since he had pretty much never done any or at least not in a very, very, very long time. I won't divulge his age...He called in the pro and perhaps I should have opted for a no show....lol

Try this trick to make your boiled eggs easy to peel: add one tablespoon vinegar to every four cups of water you use to boil the eggs. It works! The shell will come off so easily.
Sorry - it didn't make any difference with my stubborn eggs!

Back
Top Bottom