Cookalong?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:18 AM
What do you all think about a CookingBites Cookalong? The idea would be that someone chooses a recipe either from a book or published on-line which we can all have a go at cooking and report back (with photos, if possible). The recipe would need to be quite accessible in terms of ingredients. And the time frame would need to be decided so that as many members as possible had a chance to contribute. I'm just floating an idea. All thoughts are welcome...

Last edited:
Online would probably be easier to make sure everyone could access.

Silly question: how often do you buy groceries?
Actually that might be a good thread.

Online would probably be easier to make sure everyone could access.

Actually that might be a good thread.

If it were a book recipe then the recipe would need to be typed out and posted here. I buy groceries about once a week (or rather, I have them delivered). But I have a very handy cut price supermarket at the end of my road (Aldi's) which is 5 mins away! We would need to take account of accessibility of ingredients in the timescale. A good point @Cinisajoy.:)

I like the idea, it might be very interesting to see the different interpretations on the same basic recipe. My problem is going to be my consumers. There are going to be several recipes that it would be pointless even offering to them, and even if I think I have some chance of success, I will have to pick the night to do it. Anyway, fundamentally I am game and I will try to participate if the opportunity to do so arises.

My wife shops about five times/week. Twice in the "farmer's market", Mondays and Thursdays, and then at least another three times at the supermarkets (we have four within 2 kilometres of our house).

Interesting idea though.

I would say at least 2 weeks.
The reason for two weeks is many people get paid every two weeks and if they need to buy something special they can budget it in.

I know way too many people that live payday to payday.

Last edited:
So is it about just testing a recipe? I am pretty sure we are all accomplished cooks here. What about an invention test? Giving a certain number of ingredients and see what we can come up with?

So is it about just testing a recipe? I am pretty sure we are all accomplished cooks here. What about an invention test? Giving a certain number of ingredients and see what we can come up with?

I hesitate to suggest that simply because we have enough trouble drumming up entries for the Recipe Challenge (currently only two entries) and the Spice Challenge (also only two entries)! Sadly, I just can't see that we would get enough entries for a third challenge. I would be quite happy to support your idea if there were a lot of entries to the other challenges.

This is just a different idea - that we cook the same recipe and share thoughts and techniques rather than compete.

Back
Top Bottom