Cookalong?

I hesitate to suggest that simply because we have enough trouble drumming up entries for the Recipe Challenge (currently only two entries) and the Spice Challenge (also only two entries)! Sadly, I just can't see that we would get enough entries for a third challenge. I would be quite happy to support your idea if there were a lot of entries to the other challenges.

This is just a different idea - that we cook the same recipe and share thoughts and techniques rather than compete.
OK - no problem. After I suggested the invention test it occurred to me that it would not be a real challenge of our creativity, given the temptation to google or flick through cookery books!

What do you all think about a CookingBites Cookalong? The idea would be that someone chooses a recipe either from a book or published on-line which we can all have a go at cooking and report back (with photos, if possible). The recipe would need to be quite accessible in terms of ingredients. And the time frame would need to be decided so that as many members as possible had a chance to contribute. I'm just floating an idea. All thoughts are welcome...
I'm game for a laugh, providing everyone doesn't post fish recipes all the time :D I assume there will be a little bit of leeway concerning omitting or changing some of the lesser ingredients for us with allergies.

fish chips mushy peas march 2s.jpg

Fish, chips and mushy peas.

I'm game for a laugh, providing everyone doesn't post fish recipes all the time :D I assume there will be a little bit of leeway concerning omitting or changing some of the lesser ingredients for us with allergies.
I think maybe that should be encouraged...Some one could pick a classic dish and all arrive at the finished product as best we can...would make for interesting idea exchanges..

Maybe something like coq au vin? Or Buckytom's pork chop brine? You know, the classics.
Coq au Vin! That takes me back. I haven't cooked it in a while. It was a 70's. 80's dinner party dish over here. Traditionally it would have been made (as the name suggests) with cockerel. But these days its made with chicken. When was the last time you saw cockerel for sale? Anyway, I think this is good suggestion as chicken is available to us all, I think. Not so good for vegetarians but we can't really cater for everybody all the time. My only thought is whether the inclusion of wine is a problem for anyone (cost wise). I could up the stakes and suggest a more technically difficult recipe. A stuffed chicken ballotine, for example?

What do others think?

Let me think a bit.
I may have a challenge idea.
Most of us watch the cooking challenge shows.
Now since most if not all of us can't afford to waste food, I have an idea.
No time limits and cookbooks or recipes allowed for inspiration or time to cook something.
And you can use any gadgets you own.
Now do we do Masterchef where they pick a dish or Chopped with basket ingredients (but nothing too odd).

Let me think a bit.
I may have a challenge idea.
Most of us watch the cooking challenge shows.
Now since most if not all of us can't afford to waste food, I have an idea.
No time limits and cookbooks or recipes allowed for inspiration or time to cook something.
And you can use any gadgets you own.
Now do we do Masterchef where they pick a dish or Chopped with basket ingredients (but nothing too odd).

This isn't meant to be a challenge. We have two Challenges already on the forum and really need entries for those. The CookingBites Recipe Challenge offers the chance to use just one ingredient (usually easily and cheaply available) to create a dish of your choice. The Spice Challenge means you can suggest any dish (or tip for using the spice) as long as it includes the spice of the month.

Cookalong is a different concept. The idea of the Cookalong is that anyone who wants to participate cooks the recipe and compares notes, shares it etc. and posts pictures if possible. That is all it is. A chance for cooks to share the experience of cooking a recipe.

Last edited:
This isn't meant to be a challenge. We have two Challenges already on the forum and really need entries for those. The CookingBites Recipe Challenge offers the chance to use just one ingredient (usually easily and cheaply available) to create a dish of your choice. The Spice Challenge means you can suggest any dish (or tip for using the spice) as long as it includes the spice of the month.

Cookalong is a different concept. The idea of the Cookalong is that anyone who wants to participate cooks the recipe and compares notes, shares it etc. and posts pictures if possible. That is all it is. A chance for cooks to share the experience of cooking a recipe.
On that cooking challenge, the latest ingredient may be common in the UK, but here it isn't unless it is in dried pasta or flour. Cous-Cous is expensive here.

On that cooking challenge, the latest ingredient may be common in the UK, but here it isn't unless it is in dried pasta or flour. Cous-Cous is expensive here.

Oh. Sorry. I didn't know that. I thought cous-cous was fairly cheap everywhere and semolina too. It is quite difficult to choose something that we can all get. Do you not have Walmarts?

Oh. Sorry. I didn't know that. I thought cous-cous was fairly cheap everywhere and semolina too. It is quite difficult to choose something that we can all get. Do you not have Walmarts?
Yes, I have a Walmart but Cous-Cous is still not cheap there. It is at least 10 times the price of other grains. And I am not going to spend $5 on an unknown ingredient.
Here is the thing with Walmart, prices are not the same from store to store.
It depends on the region. In our store, the lowest price milk is $2.78 a gallon. In the Dallas region, it is $3.98. Same brand, same size. Other stuff is the opposite.
It depends on what sells and the demographic.
Every store is different.
We have 4 in our area and a 5th one an hour away. Actually make that 6, another one is an hour in the opposite direction. The two an hour away actually have more items.

Back
Top Bottom