Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Mackerel

Those who don't have access to fresh mackerel, here's something. I bought this at Kroger yesterday:
Kroger-Mackerel-011110787934.jpg

I will try to find a fishmonger who has the fresh stuff, but I do have this as a backup plan.

Strange...then again, I do recall times where I couldn't see images that others could see. Well, not much to see here: it's just a can of mackerel with a drawing of the fish that were murdered and stuffed in the can.

It is probably from a website which has not set up European access since the change in law. There are quite a few including some big food websites such as Genius Kitchen and Martha Stewart (Meredith). Food52 have recently sorted out access but I was unable to log into it for many months despite the fact I have content there!

It's a grocery store site, which I can see would fall under that purview. But, maybe you won't have to worry about seeing what I can make from canned mackerel: I I just placed an order for a whole fish (the market said they're usually 3-4 pounds), which should be available to pick up tomorrow. I have a few ideas!

Not sure if I'll have time to get to the canned stuff, but I'm curious to see what happens if I try to make an identical recipe with both. Predictably, the fresh fish will be much better, of course, but I'm wondering if the canned version of the dish will still be palatable.

I I just placed an order for a whole fish (the market said they're usually 3-4 pounds), which should be available to pick up tomorrow. I have a few ideas!

Excellent! I like the idea of trying it both ways. Tinned mackerel and fresh is very easy to get here. If you don't get round to the canned maybe I will try the tinned version of your recipe.

Last edited:
From a quick Google this photo is of Short Mackerel (SE Asia)
There are several types apparently, including Atlantic (Atlantic/med) and Chub (Pacific).

I've researched it further and the Thais call it plau thu (ปลาทู) which Google does translate as mackerel, as you say.

Back
Top Bottom