Could you do a week as a vegetarian?

How easy would you find it to only cook and eat vegetarian for a week?

• Easy

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Somewhat difficult

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I like meat too much

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Wouldn't know where to start

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Vegetarian, yes. I would probably be happy when the week ended, but I don't eat all that much meat right now anyway, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch. I wouldn't want to do it forever, at least at this point, but a week would be o.k.

I believe I could go vegetarian for a week. At least I know that it would have some health benefits, so I would have no problem with trying it. Vegetarian dishes can be made to be very tasty, you just have to know how to spice them up. I also like vegetables, so I would choose my favourite ones to cook together. On the other hand, a vegan diet sounds a little more stringent and would definitely take more will power.

I think for me and my household it'd be pretty easy. We eat a lot of vegetarian based meals anyway, or meals that would be easy enough to adapt to being vegetarian,

Sounds like a challenge!

Yes. As my daughter is vegetarian, I have sometimes done a week just to make my cooking life a bit simpler. Otherwise I'm making two different dishes every night. Usually I don't mind that at all but occasionally I fancy a break. I found when I did, that it saved quite a lot of money on the weekly bill. Its important to have a well stocked store cupboard though: herbs, spices, garlic, soy sauce, chillies etc.

All joking aside, I probably could go a week without eating meat. I like italian food especially pasta, so could have pasta with tom sauce and quorn Instesd of meat. I like rice and other pulses as well, so I could manage......just

I could actually make it without meat for a week. I am sure it would not ruin me as I hope to go completely vegan some time soon. I have tried long durations without meat but find myself cheating when faced with an irresistible steak. I love steaks and do not know how I to do without them when/if I go vegan. :laugh:

I could actually make it without meat for a week. I am sure it would not ruin me as I hope to go completely vegan some time soon. I have tried long durations without meat but find myself cheating when faced with an irresistible steak. I love steaks and do not know how I to do without them when/if I go vegan. :laugh:
I'm always interested to know why people want to go Vegan (rather than Vegetarian). In my opinion its more difficult to eat Vegan than Vegetarian not least because there are so many products which are vegetarian but not vegan. The same in Restaurants. What are your reasons, @SpongeyB ? And welcome to the forum:welcome:.

@morning glory Thanks! My love for animals makes me wish for that way of life. I have not gone any far in achieving it yet as I still eat meat and dairy products. When/if I eventually do succeed I hope to do away with ALL animal products altogether.

@morning glory Thanks! My love for animals makes me wish for that way of life. I have not gone any far in achieving it yet as I still eat meat and dairy products. When/if I eventually do succeed I hope to do away with ALL animal products altogether.
I tend to think that veganism goes a bit too far. After all, chickens will lay lots and lots of eggs which (unless there is a cockerel about) are unfertilised and would just be thrown away if we didn't eat hem. Also honey. Bees make loads of it and we don't hurt the bees by eating some of it (not only that, but bee-keeping helps bee sustainability). As for milk, well there is an argument there, since to keep a cow producing milk the calf is removed (and often killed). Anyway, if you do decide to go vegan good luck. I imagine it might be a challenge in Kenya...

When I wen't vegetarian 7 years ago, I really didn't find it hard at all actually. I started gradually phasing out meat as I was going off it anyway, then I started reading about the ethical side (the animal rights side) and I really didn't want to eat it anymore. About a year later I decided to go vegan as I read about the way dairy cows and chickens for eggs etc. were treated and I knew I had to change my diet, that was a little more challenging and I still had things like milk chocolate now and again for about 6 months or so after going 'vegan', I've been strict vegan for 6 years now and have found it really interesting actually finding different ways to cook regualar meal that non-vegans have, 'vegan-fying' them :D I feel alot better and it has improved my cooking and baking skills! :)

I could do it though hard. As long as the meals are filling I see no problem with this. I enjoy stir fryes over rice. I even don't mind cooking meals with tofu. Mushrooms are great in terms of meat substitutes also.

I think I had posted in another thread about the Lenten season that we observe here during summer. The culmination of that religious season is Holy Week when we do not eat meat. And to coincide with that religious tradition, we turn vegetarian for 6 days. It is not boring albeit quite exciting to cultivate our creativity on what to eat. We usually have bread for the first days and later on we graduate to pure vegetables like boiled sweet potato or cooked cassava rootcrop. It is an opportunity for me to lose weight, hahahaaa.

All joking aside, I probably could go a week without eating meat. I like italian food especially pasta, so could have pasta with tom sauce and quorn Instesd of meat. I like rice and other pulses as well, so I could manage......just

I saw a pasta dish on the tv last night, can't remember the programme but the pasta sauce was made with beetroot instead of the usual tomato, definitely fancy trying that :okay:

Back
Top Bottom