Cryptic food and drink

Someone needs to compose a list of all these clues or is there a site which has them all in one place?

So I have something staying with the letter A that is a nice appetiser. Out is the word for an anagram, chewed and spat out also sounds like they are the words for an anagram (now anyhow) but I'm left wondering what are the other 4 letters? Is it the word nice? I can't for the life of me see anything in "aei cn".

Anise is the closest I can come up with but that is not really using all of the letters because I have switched one! So I guess the answer is no.

Rereading your instructions, I wonder if you mean I should start with the letter A bit then take the first letter of each of the next words? which gives me "aao cs" and very little I can make from that either unless I switch a letter out... 'Socca' but I'm guessing you don't mean that either (chickpea flour pancake street food in France, not really an appetiser).

OK I guess you must be :banghead:repeatedly by now, so I I'll go and have breakfast and think about parsnips and recipes instead for a while!
'chewed' refers to the fact that the letter 'A' is chewed up by another word. It doesn't mean that the word you are looking for begins with A.. There is only one four letter word - apart from 'nice'.

Someone needs to compose a list of all these clues or is there a site which has them all in one place?
There are some sites which have lists of clues but @Duck59 and I, are writing our own here (unless otherwise stated) so they probably won't appear on websites. There are sites which explain in detail how to do anagrams - but you are getting expert 'one to one' tuition here!

The first anagram can actually make two different food answers, but only one of them would normally be served as an appetiser. Look for the other four letter word (not 'nice'). Mix it up and insert the 'a'.
It came to me in the car ok the way to the doctor's this morning (7:20 appt!).

I got pasta, then tapas from there.

Here's another (so called!) easy one using the same principle.

Foolishly, eat head of garlic in a stew (6)
So I'm guess stew is the word indicating the anagram? But where did that leave me for the rest. Head indicates to take the first letter of which word because the is no 5 lettered word in that clue... Guessing that I take the letter g from garlic butdoes that leave me with the letter g or 5 letters arlic that I need to add another letter to?

So I'm guess stew is the word indicating the anagram? But where did that leave me for the rest. Head indicates to take the first letter of which word because the is no 5 lettered word in that clue... Guessing that I take the letter g from garlic butdoes that leave me with the letter g or 5 letters arlic that I need to add another letter to?

The stew bit is the definition...the anagram bit is earlier.

A bit late in the season, but here we go:

Mushroom I stuffed into egg to make Christmas favourite. (5,3)
Took me a while as I was not familiar with the egg reference... veered off on strange figgy pudding tangents! Anyway, I think I got there in the end. I must have an 'eye' for it. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom