Cryptic food and drink

The Christmas crossword in The Guardian was the usual jigsaw where you have to fit the answers into a plain grid. A tough one, but beatable. I especially liked one of the answers to the words beginning with z - zeitvertreib - what a brilliant word. I must find a suitable place to use that word. It means 'pastime,' incidentally, which is most appropriate.

The Christmas crossword in The Guardian was the usual jigsaw where you have to fit the answers into a plain grid. A tough one, but beatable. I especially liked one of the answers to the words beginning with z - zeitvertreib - what a brilliant word. I must find a suitable place to use that word. It means 'pastime,' incidentally, which is most appropriate.

That is a German word! I have to suppose, that rather like 'zeitgeist' it is in the English dictionary. But I've never come across it, so I would never have solved it I suppose. Is it your turn to set an anagram?

Zeitvertreib is in Chambers Dictionary (as is zeitgeist and a number of other German words). I was reminded of the time that my friend from Dortmund strung some poor sap along for a while and then said, "If only the Germans had a word for that feeling of pleasure you get from someone else's misfortune." Needless, to say, the sap came out and said, "But you do." Cue uproarious laughter.

Admittedly, this probably doesn't sound so funny in print, but it was hilarious at the time.

Anyway...

Lee's new lady - or Wallace's love? (11)

Zeitvertreib is in Chambers Dictionary (as is zeitgeist and a number of other German words). I was reminded of the time that my friend from Dortmund strung some poor sap along for a while and then said, "If only the Germans had a word for that feeling of pleasure you get from someone else's misfortune." Needless, to say, the sap came out and said, "But you do." Cue uproarious laughter.

Admittedly, this probably doesn't sound so funny in print, but it was hilarious at the time.

Anyway...

Lee's new lady - or Wallace's love? (11)
Very good. Got it straight away! The films did wonders to boost sales.

Back
Top Bottom