Cryptic food and drink

Well, I realised it was French but I'm still stuck - Tripe a la 'something or other'. But I don't think that is right.

Well now, I thought of Lapin a la Moutarde early on but rejected it due to the fact that in my French dictionary, Moutarde has an ''e' on the end.

Indeed so. My mistake was believing what I was reading on the internet, not something I am normally susceptible to. Having done a search, "Lapin a la moutard" appears in a vast number of places, but all of them must be wrong.

My second error was not checking with an authoritative source. Indeed, there is a fluent French speaker in this very house and she has informed me that there is a word "moutard," but it is a term used to refer to an annoying brat or some such irritant. So what I seem to have prepared is rabbit in brat sauce. Hmm.

Further to the above, I recall a trip to Bucharest (we were visiting Count Duckula) and seeing "Bear in mustard sauce" on the menu of one particular restaurant. Being vegetarians, we naturally did not take up this option, so I am unable to say whether the bear in question was whole or cut into smaller parts.

depositphotos_131228960-stock-photo-funny-duck-holding-question-mark.jpg

Somewhere, there is an anagram, but I fail to see it.

I've just realised that my "mallard" clue was, in fact, correct. I got the anagram right, but for some reason got the number of letters wrong. So 'moutarde' fits perfectly well as the last word, or would have if I had typed '8' instead of '7'. Brain malfunction. Senility. Who knows?

I've just realised that my "mallard" clue was, in fact, correct. I got the anagram right, but for some reason got the number of letters wrong. So 'moutarde' fits perfectly well as the last word, or would have if I had typed '8' instead of '7'. Brain malfunction. Senility. Who knows?

Its quite possible my anagram is incorrect but I did check Guardian 'abbreviations' for cryptic crosswords - the case in point being 'down under'.

Last edited:
But I was staying with my friend who

If I'd been quicker off the mark I would have challenged you on the '7' to start with. But as I said to my friend, "@Duck59 is very accurate (and has been known to be pedantic) so I can't believe he has it wrong." :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom