Food you have never eaten but would like to try

Since I recently found out about stone crabs, I would love to eat them!! They sound divine.

Huh. Pretty much any and every dish that has ever been served on Great British Menu. I always think that life is so terribly unfair that those judges get to sit there and have one fabulous dish after another served to them like that. Of course, I know that I would be completely useless as a judge on that program. I would just sit there going, oh yes, fantastic, ten out of ten for that. Next one. Amazing, Wow. Ten out of ten for that. Next one. Extraordinary! Ten out of ten for that....

In terms of specific things, I can only think various fish. Turbot for example. Everyone says what a wonderful fish it is, but I have never seen it on a menu in any restaurant I have eaten in, and I would not have any confidence whatever to be able to cook it.

Some more: chitterlings, poi, pho, rocky mountain oysters, turtle, kobe wagyu steak, limberger cheese, vegemite...

Huh. Pretty much any and every dish that has ever been served on Great British Menu. I always think that life is so terribly unfair that those judges get to sit there and have one fabulous dish after another served to them like that. Of course, I know that I would be completely useless as a judge on that program. I would just sit there going, oh yes, fantastic, ten out of ten for that. Next one. Amazing, Wow. Ten out of ten for that. Next one. Extraordinary! Ten out of ten for that....

In terms of specific things, I can only think various fish. Turbot for example. Everyone says what a wonderful fish it is, but I have never seen it on a menu in any restaurant I have eaten in, and I would not have any confidence whatever to be able to cook it.

Its easy to cook. Are there any fishmongers where you live? There are none in Maidstone but I can travel 15 miles or so to a good one.

Its easy to cook. Are there any fishmongers where you live? There are none in Maidstone but I can travel 15 miles or so to a good one.

Bolton and Bury markets both have good fish markets, but I don't remember seeing turbot in either. Not that I can say I have looked for it with any great effort. It is hard enough to get monkfish - on the couple of occasions I have bought monkfish, I got it at Tesco. Again, I can't be certain, but what I take the issue to be is because it is an expensive buy, it doesn't sell particularly well, so it isn't really in the market stall holders interests to stock it. What they stock is the stuff that sells well. Inevitably, the best places to buy fresh fish are the coastal towns where the fish is usually landed. That, I think, is a phenomenon the world over. All the places with a reputation for seafood are coastal.

Bolton and Bury markets both have good fish markets, but I don't remember seeing turbot in either. Not that I can say I have looked for it with any great effort. It is hard enough to get monkfish - on the couple of occasions I have bought monkfish, I got it at Tesco. Again, I can't be certain, but what I take the issue to be is because it is an expensive buy, it doesn't sell particularly well, so it isn't really in the market stall holders interests to stock it. What they stock is the stuff that sells well. Inevitably, the best places to buy fresh fish are the coastal towns where the fish is usually landed. That, I think, is a phenomenon the world over. All the places with a reputation for seafood are coastal.
I don't know if it's true but, in a fishery programme, I heard a spokesman say that the fish caught goes up first to London and then comes back down again. Anyone got knowledge of this or can refute it?

You can order on line here if you can afford it! £45 per fish!

https://www.fishforthought.co.uk/online-turbot-suppliers.html?gclid=CKjh_9Oxn9MCFQPhGwodk2EE4Q

Last edited:
This place is cheaper £20 a kilo:http://www.thewhitbycatch.co.uk/cgi-bin/shopprod.cgi?id=29

See also here where it is on offer and has useful info about the fish:https://www.thefishsociety.co.uk/shop/whole-turbot.html?sml=1

This is even cheaper and it is wild turbot. £16 for a whole 1kg turbot. £14 for fillets. http://www.kingcrab.co.uk/acatalog/Fresh-Wild-Turbot--142.html

Right, couple of points here. Firstly, the website selling the wild turbot looks superb, but my goodness it is dear. Recalling some of the contestants on Professional Masterchef failing to live up to Monica Galetti’s expectations when filleting a turbot, I don’t think I’ll be buying any whole ones. A 500g fillet from that website is £14. Assuming that would serve two, then it’s £28 to serve four, and that, by anyone’s book, is dear.

However, I just had a little internet search for turbot recipes and the first one I found is Turbot with Tartare sauce by Nathan Outlaw and looks nothing short of fantastic. I would love to think that I could produce something anywhere near that. Oh dear, Morning Glory, you do like to challenge me don’t you?

Back
Top Bottom