Food you have never eaten but would like to try

That's the baby. Not sure I can do the goujons without a deep fat fryer - but I want to try to do the dish exactly as given there. Anyway, not sure when I might be able to contemplate buying the turbot but we'll see...
It seems a great recipe. I don't have a deep fat frier either but the goujons will cook just as well in a pan of oil. The only part I have a problem with is:

'Trim the woody stems off the broccoli and wash thoroughly. Cook in salted boiling water until tender, for around 3-4 minutes'

OK. Maybe its me but I really hate undercooked broccoli (or overcooked). To me this seems too little time. What do you think?

Last edited:
OK. Maybe its me but I really hat undercooked broccoli (or overcooked). To me this seems too little time. What do you think?

Well, I suppose it is a matter of personal taste, if you find it undercooked at that then do it longer. Personally, I certainly would prefer erring on the undercooked than the overcooked and it certainly doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Most of my family prefer vegetables cooked more than I do, so I am certainly not suggesting you stand alone with your view. But if you were going to make an amazing job of that dish but only overcooked the veg, it would be a bit of a pity. Actually, my problem with it is the purple sprouting bit. I'm certain they don't sell that in my local Asda.

Well, I suppose it is a matter of personal taste, if you find it undercooked at that then do it longer. Personally, I certainly would prefer erring on the undercooked than the overcooked and it certainly doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Most of my family prefer vegetables cooked more than I do, so I am certainly not suggesting you stand alone with your view. But if you were going to make an amazing job of that dish but only overcooked the veg, it would be a bit of a pity. Actually, my problem with it is the purple sprouting bit. I'm certain they don't sell that in my local Asda.
Well, its not even shown in the photo on the website. Its a side, I suppose. But its really funny you are now worrying about sourcing purple sprouting broccoli when you were previously concerned about where to get turbot. Sorry to make fun... :giggle:

Dublin bay prawns, mud crabs, razor clams, poulet de bresse, Russian salo, biltong, hmm, give me a minute. I can think of more.
Of those I've eaten Dublin Bay Prawns (Langoustines), Razor Clams (cooked them myself too), poulet de bresse (in France), biltong (you can easily buy it here - its overrated). I think you better visit the UK to fulfil some of your dreams - and then hop over to France.

Some more: chitterlings, poi, pho, rocky mountain oysters, turtle, kobe wagyu steak, limberger cheese, vegemite...
I've had vegemite (you can get that here) - Marmite is better! Pho you could surely make yourself? Chitterlings I've had but not turtle (I think they may be an endangered species, as a food). Wagyu steak is way too expensive - although it is being farmed now in the UK. I haven't tried those 'oysters' but I'd give them a go - though I prefer the seafaring type. Limberger cheese? I don't know if I have had it or not. I think its quite a mild cheese. I prefer a stinky cheese. Like Munster or Pont L'Eveque or Stinking Bishop to name but a few.

Limberger cheese? I don't know if I have had it or not. I think its quite a mild cheese. I prefer a stinky cheese. Like Munster or Pont L'Eveque or Stinking Bishop to name but a few.
I just looked it up and Limburger is a stinky cheese! So I can't have ever had it or I'd remember! Its now on my list too.

Last edited:
More of mine: hare, ptarmigan, all those crabs you get in the USA but that we don't get here, abalone, the very best caviar, the very best truffles (NOT the chocolate kind). And then there is a whole list of fruit and some vegetables from Africa and Asia which I will probably never get to taste!

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I bought some Jerusalem artichokes as I'd never tried them before. Daily I would go to the pantry to fetch them, only to return with something else instead. They may still be there.

Today I bought a couple of globe artichokes from the veg market. The greengrocer assured me that they were really good - "still sticky" he said. I nodded knowingly, not having a clue what he was on about. However, I am determined to do something with them this weekend.

A few weeks ago I bought some Jerusalem artichokes as I'd never tried them before. Daily I would go to the pantry to fetch them, only to return with something else instead. They may still be there.

Today I bought a couple of globe artichokes from the veg market. The greengrocer assured me that they were really good - "still sticky" he said. I nodded knowingly, not having a clue what he was on about. However, I am determined to do something with them this weekend.

We had artichokes (globe) for the Recipe Challenge a few weeks back. If you put artichokes in the search box in the green menu bar you can see the entries. Here is what I did:

IMGP1786.jpg

The easiest way to cook globe ones is to microwave them in an inch of water covered in cling (vented slightly). You can tell when they are done because the leaves will pull away easily. I've no idea what the vendor meant by 'sticky' either! Globe artichokes aren't at all sticky.

The easiest way to cook globe ones is to microwave them in an inch of water covered in cling (vented slightly). You can tell when they are done because the leaves will pull away easily. I've no idea what the vendor meant by 'sticky' either! Globe artichokes aren't at all sticky.
Thanks, I will look up those recipes. However, I don't have a microwave!

They are nice oiled and baked.

One word of warning though...they are associated with producing er...copious bodily gases! (In case you had a romantic meal in mind....) :thumbsdown:

Back
Top Bottom