Fun with kale!

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:16 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
First, a disclaimer: I am not a kale evangelist. I don’t expect to convert anybody here to become a kale lover who hates it right now. And, to be honest, I’ll readily pick almost any other green instead of kale when I want to make something.

However, all the people stating how much they hate kale inspired me to try to do something to maybe shed some light on the poor, downtrodden, Brillo pad-consistency green.

Intro to Kale

First of all, kale is really healthy. It had better be, considering how hard it is to work with, right? It's high in antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamins A, C and K, Iron, and fiber, plus it can lower your cholesterol. So, it's worth the effort!

If you hate kale, there's a good chance you tried it in place of a traditional green in a salad. This is where things went wrong: you have to tame the rough texture of the kale before you can have it that way. The dressing on the salad alone isn't quite enough to do the trick. To get kale to behave in a salad, you first need to mix it with lemon juice, olive oil, and some salt. You actually massage the kale, which is a bit like kneading dough, for a few minutes, until the greens start to wilt. Then, make your salad.

I know...massaging kale: another reason to hate it! Hey...I wasn't the one who wanted to make a salad.

I considered making some sophisticated kale-based dish, but decided I just didn't have the energy. So, I decided to make two things: pesto and kale chips.

Kale Chips

D8C16E8B-6392-4BF9-9ABB-ECCA48CD0CD3.jpeg

Kale chips are very easy to make. All you need to do is wash the kale and dry thoroughly (very important: wet kale can cause it to steam instead of getting crisp. Coat with maybe a tablespoon of olive oil, then season as you wish. I used a mix of tajin seasoning and gochujang powder (yes, I said powder).

811d6IlM8bL._SY679_.jpg

Bake in the oven at 225° F (105° C) for 10 minutes, rotate the trays, then bake for 10 more minutes, checking occasionally toward the end of the cook time to prevent burning.

F88401D0-DBF6-4966-AC42-61B4E39D1C27.jpeg

Continue baking until the kale gets crispy:

4551CE61-EFE0-482D-B6AE-C5329055FB5E.jpeg

They're very tasty. I once fried kale in the deep fryer. It was good, but there was so much oil that it squished with every bite. I like this better.

Kale Pesto

As for the pesto, I somehow missed @Frizz1974's excellent Kale Parsley Pesto recipe when I made mine. What I did was similar, except I used arugula (rocket) for the other half of the greens. Oh...and I decided to throw two habaneros into the food processor, too:

A6208533-79A8-4ED6-BF0F-5428CFCB0D6D.jpeg

Yes, you will keep on seeing habaneros in my recipes, until they're gone or gone bad.

I added a teaspoon of szechuan peppercorns (buzzed in my spice-grinder, which is really a coffee bean grinder that I never use for coffee beans). This made the peppers - which I seeded first - more manageable. Still spicy, but not insanely so. I excluded the cheese, too, and used hazelnuts. And, this is what I ended up with:

BA6E1D02-1553-49EC-92EC-F07E9A8584E1.jpeg

It looks like a pesto, doesn't it? I wasn't sure about the lemon, but I do like how the acidity brightens the pesto, particularly playing off the spiciness of the peppers.

Does anyone have any other kale recipes they'd like to share? And, does any kale hater want to make one of these to see if maybe, just maybe, you might stop hating kale? Come on...give it a try!

Last edited:
Kale:

Mince it, and blend it with: minced celery, broccoli florettes, cucumber peeled & minced, a tablespoon of Evoo, a pinch of salt and some sparkling water ..

High in vitamins .. And very tasty ..

I'll still pass on the kale, but the Tajin is great on fruit. Now I've heard of gochugaru which is a powder, but not powdered gochujang.

First of all, kale is really healthy. It had better be, considering how hard it is to work with, right? It's high in antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamins A, C and K, Iron, and fiber, plus it can lower your cholesterol. So, it's worth the effort!
I am not a kale lover and will only eat it if its fairly finely chopped and cooked until soft. But, I wonder, how true is it that is any better for you than any other green leaf - spinach for example?

There is one way I've used it crispy - Kale Seaweed

I'll still pass on the kale, but the Tajin is great on fruit. Now I've heard of gochugaru which is a powder, but not powdered gochujang.
Didn't think I'd convert you, Craig. Thanks for the tip about fruit: I always sprinkle some on guacamole, but I've never tried expanding its uses.

As for gochujang powder, Kroger has a discount bin, which I always check. They usually have unusual things that don't sell (lavender mustard, anyone?). I would never have even thought of looking for it in the regular spice aisle. But, at $1.89/jar, it was worth a try. I still prefer the paste (which usually makes its way into dim sum dips, or mayo for a banh mi sauce), but the powder is interesting.

Is the statement "fun with kale" an oxymoron?

Yes. It's awfully good.

My wife loves this stuff. I'll share some suggestions with her. I'd rather have spinach, romaine, leaf lettuce, cabbage, ect.............
Yeah...I was like that until I began this quest to clear kale's name. But, I actually found that I like it now. I may actually pick it on purpose sometime for a dish.

Come to think of it...(cue the harp music) I wonder what it it would be like if I put that up as a new Challenge:

Make something you hate!

Each person picks an ingredient they hate and tries making it into a dish that they enjoy. @morning glory, what do you think?

I've always had a suspicion that the idea that kale was so 'healthy' was a marketing ploy to sell a vegetable which is cheap and easy to grow and which no-one particularly liked at somewhat inflated prices. http://www.eatthis.com/10-superfoods-healthier-than-kale/
I'm not sufficiently interested in getting the bottom of this, but I do admit that I took it at face value that kale was a proverbial super food. The credentials I list at the top of the thread are impressive (high in antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamins A, C and K, Iron, and fiber, plus it can lower your cholesterol). I do believe that any green is good for you. Brussels sprouts are certainly high on the list, and I already love them.

There isn't much that I "hate". I don't care for mushrooms, but I don't "HATE" them. I'd have to think long and hard about this if it became a challenge.
After I did the reply, I realized that it would be hard to find enough things that people truly hate. I think it would be enough if we could elevate something that we've never been overly impressed by into something we like.

Back
Top Bottom