My favourite food out of a tin is...

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:25 AM
We probably all use tinned (canned) foods from time to time. In the UK they have fallen out of fashion somewhat but most people use canned tomatoes for sauces and baked beans are as popular as ever. Tinned fruit and vegetables are something we used a lot in the UK in the past - but the huge choice of fresh fruit and vegetables now available in the UK means that most folk rarely use tinned fruit and veg.

Tinned fish is still popular - particularly tuna, salmon and sardines (and anchovies). And then there is meat - remember the days of tinned ham and corned beef. They are still available but how many people still buy them?

So - what are your favourite tinned foods?

We usually have in the cupboard
Tinned fish
Tinned soup - I don't like tinned soup but my husband does and keeps a few cans for when he wants a quick meal.
Chickpeas and a variety of beans (bit not baked beans) for when I forget to soak dried ones
Tomatoes
Mushy peas, as chip shop ones are so expensive and these can be heated in the microwave in the time it takes to plate up the fish and chips.

Tinned soup - I don't like tinned soup but my husband does and keeps a few cans for when he wants a quick meal.
I'm partial to certain tinned soups (its a comfort thing) - Baxter's Scotch Broth (it has mutton in it which gives it a nice gamey flavour) is my favourite but I also like bog standard tomato soup.
Chickpeas and a variety of beans (bit not baked beans) for when I forget to soak dried ones
I've got lazy - tinned beans are cheap and I've almost given up bothering with all that soaking and simmering of dried beans. But the day before yesterday I found some haricot vert in the cupboard and thought I'd use them up. I soaked overnight and then began simmering them yesterday. I say 'began' because they simmered on and off all day (I had to turn them off when I went out). They didn't soften, so I left them to soak overnight and resumed simmering them this morning. They are still not done!

Yellowfin tuna packed in olive oil from either Spain or Italy.

I like that too although I go for the tuna in water to save on calories.

I love tinned fish. I often have mackerel, herring, sardines or sprats for breakfast with a chunk of crusty bread, and a big glass of iced tea. It's a habit passed down from my Irish dad, and mom's Norskie relatives.

I like anchovies also, on pizza, on a salad, or in sauce.

For tinned/canned fruit, I love cling peaches in syrup. Or whole berry cranberry sauce.

We have a lot of cans of soups. New England clam chowder, creamy tomato with basil, lentil, French onion, and chicken aoup with stars are our favourites.

We also use a lot of canned tomatoes, and then I can't forget baked beans in a can. Bush's Maple cured bacon with baked beans are fantastic, especialy when cooked in the can in the coals of a campfire.

I don't know if its my favorite. I sure do enjoy canned ravioli lol

ravioli.png

Bushs Baked bean...the vegetarian one not the one with the weird peice of pork in it...but i add more molasses, brown sugar and mustard...sadly i read that Duke, Bush's spokeman dog recently passed.

Green peas...its a comfort food

Mandarin oranges

And i tend to use canned vegetarian refried beans mostly unless a pot of bean is left over and ready to cook down to mush.

And i don't make my own spaghetti sauce but it comes in a jar not a can

Bushs Baked bean...the vegetarian one not the one with the weird peice of pork in it...but i add more molasses, brown sugar and mustard...sadly i read that Duke, Bush's spokeman dog recently passed.

Green peas...its a comfort food

Mandarin oranges

And i tend to use canned vegetarian refried beans mostly unless a pot of bean is left over and ready to cook down to mush.

And i don't make my own spaghetti sauce but it comes in a jar not a can

Shame on you not making your own spag sauce.lol
I make mine in the summer and freeze for winter.

Russ

Freezing things in Florida where i am am is a iffy proposition, one good hurricane or strong tropical storm and the electricity may be out days or weeks. This past September i lost a goodly assortment of frozen fruits and veggies bought in season and were all chopped up and frozen all ready to make stuff with. We lost power for 5 days. So i have decided to limit what i keep in the freezer especially during hurricane season june-november.

Freezing things in Florida where i am am is a iffy proposition, one good hurricane or strong tropical storm and the electricity may be out days or weeks. This past September i lost a goodly assortment of frozen fruits and veggies bought in season and were all chopped up and frozen all ready to make stuff with. We lost power for 5 days. So i have decided to limit what i keep in the freezer especially during hurricane season june-november.

That is why we bought a generator before Wilma. With Irma I had it running with in 48 hours and we lost nothing in 2 refrigerator/freezers and a deep freezer. A lot or which was homemade sausages and cured meats in the freezers.

That is why we bought a generator before Wilma. With Irma I had it running with in 48 hours and we lost nothing in 2 refrigerator/freezers and a deep freezer. A lot or which was homemade sausages and cured meats in the freezers.

An essential then with all that home cured meat. :okay:

In the UK there are four types of tinned peas - which type do you have for 'comfort food'?

Mushy peas:
View attachment 17204

Marrowfat peas
View attachment 17207
Garden Peas

View attachment 17205

Petit pois

View attachment 17206

The first one only. If I make mushy peas I use frozen marrow fat peas. I've never made them from scratch even though I make my own fish and chips sometimes. Maybe I should do that next time. For now it is far too hot to consider frying anything.

Peas (non-marrow fat) I like fresh but if not then frozen. The frozen ons I only really use for squid stew and fried rice. As Aside dish then it really has to be fresh. I have some in the garden but not holding my breath.

Ah, this talk of frozen foods makes me think of a new thread...

Back
Top Bottom