My favourite food out of a tin is...

We were in the main supermarket this morning - this is the tinned fish aisle (handphone picture):

View attachment 17410

For some reason this surprised me - I wasn't surprised by the fish sauce so much as I know that so many Thai dishes include it. But what are they doing with all this tinned fish? I can't recall seeing a single Thai recipe which includes it.

But what are they doing with all this tinned fish? I can't recall seeing a single Thai recipe which includes it.

I'm told by my wife that it's "village" stuff. It's not very expensive.

What does 'village stuff' mean? Still don't understand how they are eating it. Just straight out of the tin?

Not as far as I know. It can be included in fish curry or tom yam for example. They certainly eat a lot of it (as you may conclude given the quantities on the shelves). We rarely buy it but it's good to have occasionally on toast (the pilchards).

Can we extend to include jarred products? I love pickled herring, but have never seen them offered in a can/tin.

We probably all use tinned (canned) foods from time to time. In the UK they have fallen out of fashion somewhat but most people use canned tomatoes for sauces and baked beans are as popular as ever. Tinned fruit and vegetables are something we used a lot in the UK in the past - but the huge choice of fresh fruit and vegetables now available in the UK means that most folk rarely use tinned fruit and veg.

Tinned fish is still popular - particularly tuna, salmon and sardines (and anchovies). And then there is meat - remember the days of tinned ham and corned beef. They are still available but how many people still buy them?

So - what are your favourite tinned foods?

Hearts of Palm for (Caprese) salads
Artichoke Hearts:
In salads, pasta, pasta salad, flatbread pizza. I add them to tuna salad, as well.
i.e.:
Gremolata Pasta with Artichokes
I top it with grated Parmesan cheese, and sometimes add tuna to the dish.
https://www.today.com/food/gremolata-pasta-artichoke-hearts-1D80333669

Flatbread/Naan Pizza
https://www.bhg.com/recipe/pizza/artichoke-flatbread/

San Marzanio tomatoes (for tomato sauce)
Clam sauce - Red and white
Used to buy Smoked oysters, and serve on crackers for a quick appetizer
Garbanzo beans/chick peas - for salad
Tuna, salmon

I also doctor up the clam sauce. For the white clam sauce sometimes I'll add cooked crumbled bacon, lemon juice and/or zest, or peas, since it can be a little bland on its own. For the red clam sauce, sometimes I'll add shrimp or crab, whatever is around.

I also doctor up the clam sauce. For the white clam sauce sometimes I'll add cooked crumbled bacon, lemon juice and/or zest, or peas, since it can be a little bland on its own. For the red clam sauce, sometimes I'll add shrimp or crab, whatever is around.

I don't think we get clam sauce in cans in the UK. It sounds like a handy ingredient. I will hunt...

Wow. They want a fortune for it. Do you have a Walmart or a Target near you? Maybe a can of baby clams or minced clams? Perhaps you could add some white wine, garlic and herbs and make up your own clam sauce? I wonder why it's so expensive.

Last edited:
Wow. They want a fortune for it. Do you have a Walmart or a Target near you? Maybe a can of baby clams or minced clams? Perhaps you could add some white wine, garlic and herbs and make up your own clam sauce? I wonder why it's so expensive.

I'm in the UK - no Walmart or Target here! I can probably get tinned clams and make my own as you suggest.

I wasn't sure. But was thinking along the lines of the equivalent of a Walmart or Target-like store. Hope you can find them. Add a side of garlic bread or prosciutto-wrapped breadsticks and some wine, and dinner is done in about 20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom