Odd Supermarket Behavior

There are times when my local high street resembles a large dogs' home. Mutts are tied up to lampposts, benches, bike racks and pretty much anything else to which one can attach a dog lead. It is not uncommon to wander down the street to the accompaniment of barking, baying, howling and other canine music.

I only wish there were a few shops where I could take the dog as it is a nuisance if I want to buy something whilst out with the dog. The only shop which allows dogs in is (naturally enough) the pet shop. I can't really leave him tied up outside as he is a pedigree and could easily get stolen.
Can't leave a greyhound outside a shop either - people think of stealing them for racing or using for hare coursing or dog fighting round here, and if they get loose they are long gone by the time you come out of the shop. And seeing as it's greyhound country here, some of the shops will let you take a greyhound in but no other breed of dog. Tippy even helped me choose my oven and hob :laugh:

Last edited:
My wife thinks I'm slightly odd in supermarkets. I have this thing about loading items from the trolley onto the conveyor belt in a logical sequence - the same sequence I intend to load them into the shopping bags - heavy things first through to delicate breakables last. This way I can keep up with the cashier, and nothing gets broken. A lot of people seem to load up the conveyor belt randomly, and then end up trying to sort an ever growing pile after scanning, whilst holding up the queue.

I agree with all of the comments above about annoying behaviour, but find it helps to shop at quiet times to minimise the impact.

To be honest we load the conveyor in a certain way then pack as such, heavy stuff at the bottom of a bag, detergents/hygiene together in a bag etc.,

My peeves don't really involve customers as the store itself.....

HATE the plastic bags....things roll out when put in car....get tangled when try to empty.

Store "reorganizing"...makes us regulars frustrated learning the new locations that don't make sense.

There are times when my local high street resembles a large dogs' home. Mutts are tied up to lampposts, benches, bike racks and pretty much anything else to which one can attach a dog lead. It is not uncommon to wander down the street to the accompaniment of barking, baying, howling and other canine music.
I would never make it into the store before having to go home to take a shower from all of the dog spit/drool after petting each one of them.

I was in line at Wally World once (I avoid it like the plague now) and there were two women in front of us with two shopping carts piled high with stuff. BTW, their kids were running amuck. The cashier rang up their items to a total of over $1000.00 US. At that point they didn't have enough money to cover it. They decided to start handing things back to the cashier to deduct from the total as they only had $600.00 and change. They didn't hand back items straight up, no they had to start sorting through the items, selectively choosing the items. Add to that the fact that the money on the card they were using was "government" supplied, via US tax payers.

One thing I never understand is the extraordinary stockpiling of food that some people do for Christmas. It's not like the shops are closed for any length of time these days. Indeed, many convenience stores open on Christmas Day, even in a small town like the one I live in. It's not uncommon, though, to see people piling loaves of bread, cartons of milk and other everyday items into the backs of cars as if they were expecting to have to spend several months living in an underground bunker while a nuclear war raged overhead.

One thing I never understand is the extraordinary stockpiling of food that some people do for Christmas. It's not like the shops are closed for any length of time these days. Indeed, many convenience stores open on Christmas Day, even in a small town like the one I live in. It's not uncommon, though, to see people piling loaves of bread, cartons of milk and other everyday items into the backs of cars as if they were expecting to have to spend several months living in an underground bunker while a nuclear war raged overhead.

You ought to see what happens in the groceries when a hurricane is coming.

Unfortunately a lot of it goes to waste because it goes off or is out of date before they get around to eating it.

Here’s one that’s not just confined to supermarkets. I can’t believe how many people can’t leave their dogs at home. They leave them in the car, and part of me wants to break into the car to let the pets out, or at least open the window so they can breathe and they don’t die. I guess they really love their dogs. :meh:

My thoughts on pets are the same as kids, if you can't take care of them don't have them.

I just had this about 2 hours ago, I wanted 3 things, I knew where 2 of them were as I buy them all the time, both items were blocked by women in their 40's with the trolley parked over the items I wanted. They just looked through me and I had to say I'm sorry I need this here and pointed. They moved reluctantly on. Since this thread I'm always looking around me at the supermarket now.

Russ

My thoughts on pets are the same as kids, if you can't take care of them don't have them.
Unfortunately life isn't that simple. There is a sad lack of preparation for parenthood and even for those who are prepared it can come as quite a shock to realise the extent of the responsibility. My first daughter had the worst screaming tantrums I've ever seen - when this happened in the middle of the supermarket I'd get some very hostile looks but there was literally nothing I could do about it other than leave all the shopping half done and exit the shop.

Unfortunately life isn't that simple. There is a sad lack of preparation for parenthood and even for those who are prepared it can come as quite a shock to realise the extent of the responsibility. My first daughter had the worst screaming tantrums I've ever seen - when this happened in the middle of the supermarket I'd get some very hostile looks but there was literally nothing I could do about it other than leave all the shopping half done and exit the shop.

Lol,lol. My kids were always Angels,lol.

Russ

My daughter was such a little darling when it came to choosing her own shopping that I used to put a basket in the trolley into which all "her" items were placed. When I got to the checkout, I used to hand them the basket and say these items were not required. Some of the checkout girls and boys were annoyed, but others were quite understanding. I guess the latter had kids of their own.

@Dados1950 When our local Tesco's supermarket first opened, it was so big compared to anything else in the neighbourhood, they issued maps so that we could find everything. It has been extended three times since, and it is an absolute nightmare to find anything. and I'm sure that often things are swapped to a different aisle (or shelves within that aisle) just for the sheer hell of it - e.g. drinking chocolate; one moment it's in the same aisle as tea, coffee, etc., and the next it's in the baking aisle. Some of their spices are not in their huge herbs and spices aisle, but in the international aisle. And normal size packs of rice are in one place, and the big 5+kg packs in the international aisle. Why they can't put them all together, I do not know.

Back
Top Bottom