Recipe Pain au sarrasin

That sounds naughty...
It does! :laugh:

I saw a video a while back of a French baker using this technique with dough. Its quite fascinating because you start with a really wet dough which sticks to the counter and your hand - but as you keep picking it up and slapping it down, the gluten magically transforms it into a smooth dough. You have to have the confidence to do it because at the start it looks like it isn't going to work.

I hope your wrist gets better soon @Wandering Bob.

Yes, it is pretty cool. I remember seeing Italian bakers using the wet slap method in my old neighbourhood.
It's intimidating to think of as a non-breader/inexperienced baker.

Last edited by a moderator:
hope your wrist gets better soon @Wandering Bob.

Thank you Mrs Glory. A moment of impetuosity on the bike has caused me a problem or two. Hopefully the wrist'll return to normal soon.

Its quite fascinating because you start with a really wet dough which sticks to the counter and your hand - but as you keep picking it up and slapping it down, the gluten magically transforms it into a smooth dough

I have some photos of this technique - yours, I think. Were they ever posted on here? If not, then they should be - perhaps to encourage anyone interested to give it a go. I'm all in favour of publicising alternative techniques - and even more so with this technique because it reduces the amount of time spent in arriving at a viable dough. I reckon the overall time I've put into this loaf - mixing the flours, making a wet dough & then shaping it - comes in at around 6 or 7 minutes. Not that I'm trying to break a record - more that I'm trying to maximise the amount of time I spend in the comfy chair this afternoon.

Thank you Mrs Glory. A moment of impetuosity on the bike has caused me a problem or two. Hopefully the wrist'll return to normal soon.

I have some photos of this technique - yours, I think. Were they ever posted on here? If not, then they should be - perhaps to encourage anyone interested to give it a go. I'm all in favour of publicising alternative techniques - and even more so with this technique because it reduces the amount of time spent in arriving at a viable dough. I reckon the overall time I've put into this loaf - mixing the flours, making a wet dough & then shaping it - comes in at around 6 or 7 minutes. Not that I'm trying to break a record - more that I'm trying to maximise the amount of time I spend in the comfy chair this afternoon.

I was looking for the photos. I deleted them! But I can probably find them again in my trash bin.

600g Sarrasin classique (300g MCF, 240g PMF, 60g sarrasin) with caraway seeds. It pancaked a bit but it'll taste just fine, I'm sure

Added the morning afterwards:

Tried it last night with some of Lucy's goats cheese - it was OK

Tried it this morning once it had cooled and the flavours had really settled : it's spectacular. I had some for breakfast with Anna's plum jam. Great combination - and it would be equally good with Bonne Maman apricot jam or an orange marmalade. I'll talk to E&M later, but I think this is as good as I can make this bread. I doubt I'll need to try any more recipe variations so I guess that's the end of this thread for me.

sarrasin classique 13092018 cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps not quite the end of the story …. once again, I'm frustrated waiting for two items that I need in order to continue with my Winter Bread experiments. "Tomorrow, Bob …" - yeah, well maybe. So … I'm revisiting the sarrasin/carvi loaf today, using a couple of things that I've learned recently. I'm reducing the amount of PMF (strong white) from 240g to 120g, and replacing it with 120g of Petit Epeautre (light spelt). I'm also going to try (at the risk of inducing tendonitis in my right arm) to replicate what I did with the third version of WB (1). That dough was absolutely smashed until I could barely stretch my right arm - then left for 5 mins - then bent, folded and kneaded until I could no longer move. It was also proved by the woodburner. It resulted in one of the best breads I've ever made (or tasted) - and if I can do the same with this bread, I shall be a happy (well, happier) person today.

I'll post taste results, other feedback later …

Sarrasin carvi 1 26112018.JPG
Sarrasin carvi 3 26112018.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom