Pressure Cookers: what do you use them for?

Do you use a pressure cooker?

• I don't have one

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I have one but I don't use it much

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I'm frightened of them

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I use it a lot

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
Can't use it on a ceramic hob. When I bought it, I had a much older electric hob with solid rings.

What is it about the pressure cooker that makes it unsuitable for a ceramic hob? Does it have "an exposed aluminium or copper based bottom"?

What is it about the pressure cooker that makes it unsuitable for a ceramic hob? Does it have "an exposed aluminium or copper based bottom"?

"The manufacturer's website says that your pressure cooker is unsuitable for users of induction, ceramic or halogen hobs.Pans designed to be used on these surfaces allow heat to escape and not build". Even a flat bottomed stainless-steel one like mine is unsuitable if there is a makers mark on the base. Don't forget, I bought this way before I got my new hob.

"The manufacturer's website says that your pressure cooker is unsuitable for users of induction, ceramic or halogen hobs.Pans designed to be used on these surfaces allow heat to escape and not build". Even a flat bottomed stainless-steel one like mine is unsuitable if there is a makers mark on the base. Don't forget, I bought this way before I got my new hob.
If the pan is designed to allow heat to escape, how does it escape from a pan that is a sealed container?

If the pan is designed to allow heat to escape, how does it escape from a pan that is a sealed container?
Haven't a clue, unless it's through the valve at the top. A lot of comments on Amazon and other sites state that pressure cookers not specifically made for ceramic or induction hobs do not built up enough pressure anyway.

Haven't a clue, unless it's through the valve at the top. A lot of comments on Amazon and other sites state that pressure cookers not specifically made for ceramic or induction hobs do not built up enough pressure anyway.

Some pressure cookers, sadly, can't be used on all stoves. It is what it is. So sorry about this. But it also teaches ME a lesson as well. To make sure that the pressure cooker that I buy is the right one for the stove in use.

Most if not ALL of them, now come with a bright red indicator that pops up in the lid when the pressure has built up inside the cooker. This keeps the lid from being opened while there's pressure in the cooker.

All pressure cookers HAVE to release SOME steam from the cooker when the pressure builds up in order to maintain even pressure and to keep the pressure & steam from building up too much. If that happens, then a safety release valve opens, to let the pressure escape safely.:wink:

Some pressure cookers, sadly, can't be used on all stoves. It is what it is. So sorry about this. But it also teaches ME a lesson as well. To make sure that the pressure cooker that I buy is the right one for the stove in use.

Most if not ALL of them, now come with a bright red indicator that pops up in the lid when the pressure has built up inside the cooker. This keeps the lid from being opened while there's pressure in the cooker.

All pressure cookers HAVE to release SOME steam from the cooker when the pressure builds up in order to maintain even pressure and to keep the pressure & steam from building up too much. If that happens, then a safety release valve opens, to let the pressure escape safely.:wink:
My old pressure cooker had died, and my Mum's one needed spares which were quite expensive at the time, so I treated myself to the one which is languishing in the cupboard. It was the correct type for the hob I had at the time. Unfortunately I hadn't had it long when the hob needed replacing. By then ceramic hobs had come down in price quite considerably.....

My old pressure cooker had died, and my Mum's one needed spares which were quite expensive at the time, so I treated myself to the one which is languishing in the cupboard. It was the correct type for the hob I had at the time. Unfortunately I hadn't had it long when the hob needed replacing. By then ceramic hobs had come down in price quite considerably.....

Like the analog TV's that went out of production years ago, this type of stove has might have met the same fate.
Things change so much and so often.:headshake::stop:

Like the analog TV's that went out of production years ago, this type of stove has might have met the same fate.
Things change so much and so often.:headshake::stop:
The old hob had decided to fry its electrics and would have cost too much to repair. The other problem was that, although they still do solid hotplate hobs, they no longer do one the same size as the hole in the worktop :mad:, so it would have meant either hacking the worktop to pieces (and the cupboard below it) to fit a bigger one in, or forking out for whole sheet of the worktop just to about a third of it, plus of course the cost of having it done. All this meant the ceramic hob turned out to be the cheaper option. At least my analog TV is still alive and kicking, even if I've worked my way through 2 smart TVs since (one of which fried its innards, and the other one has had to go back to be repaired twice).....:headshake:

I cannot remember when I last used an electric hob. It must have been pre '72. I've been on gas, mostly bottled, since then.

And I still have an analog TV also. Although the bedroom TV is one of those new thingies.

I cannot remember when I last used an electric hob. It must have been pre '72. I've been on gas, mostly bottled, since then.
I stopped using gas about 20 years or so ago, when I discovered that the GSD I had at the time could turn the gas taps on. Unfortunately she could not light the gas......

Been using gas since the power cuts of the '70's. Seldom hear of a gas cut. Should there be one, I can fall back onto camping equipment.

But I've used open fire, range(turf, wood, coal) as well as electric. The latter the only one proving awkward to get used to.

Been using gas since the power cuts of the '70's. Seldom hear of a gas cut. Should there be one, I can fall back onto camping equipment.

But I've used open fire, range(turf, wood, coal) as well as electric. The latter the only one proving awkward to get used to.
Up until I got my electric hob and oven 20 years ago, I'd only ever used an electric cooker twice and both times were challenging, to put it mildly. After the episodes with the dog turning the gas taps on, I bought a second-hand fan oven from a local charity shop and a new hob from B&Q. The oven was brilliant straightaway and I soon got used to the hob. Unfortunately they both died at around the same time, so I bought a turbo fan oven and a ceramic hob. The oven is lovely, although I don't use the turbo bit very often - it's only really for roasting and browning meat, but I prefer to use the fan oven and grill for this. The hob is brilliant. I always used to use my oven more like a range cooker, and all veg was cooked in the oven as well, but since I got this new hob I find I am using the hob more instead. In fact I was surprised how much electric hobs have changed over the years. I've used all sorts of cookers as well as an open fire and have no wish to go back to any of them except in an emergency or if I'm on holiday. In fact, I've had the gas supply removed from my house completely as there is no longer any need to use it, and I find electric cooking and heating cheaper than gas plus electric.

There's not a tab for "we have one but the other half uses it". We've had one for years and it's regularly used, sometimes abused. I use the slow cooker that isn't so popular with the boss.

Up until I got my electric hob and oven 20 years ago, I'd only ever used an electric cooker twice and both times were challenging, to put it mildly. After the episodes with the dog turning the gas taps on, I bought a second-hand fan oven from a local charity shop and a new hob from B&Q. The oven was brilliant straightaway and I soon got used to the hob. Unfortunately they both died at around the same time, so I bought a turbo fan oven and a ceramic hob. The oven is lovely, although I don't use the turbo bit very often - it's only really for roasting and browning meat, but I prefer to use the fan oven and grill for this. The hob is brilliant. I always used to use my oven more like a range cooker, and all veg was cooked in the oven as well, but since I got this new hob I find I am using the hob more instead. In fact I was surprised how much electric hobs have changed over the years. I've used all sorts of cookers as well as an open fire and have no wish to go back to any of them except in an emergency or if I'm on holiday. In fact, I've had the gas supply removed from my house completely as there is no longer any need to use it, and I find electric cooking and heating cheaper than gas plus electric.
Here cooking on natural gas is much cheaper than an electric hob & oven.
Now many small appliances are more energy efficient than a gas oven.
Unless I am making cornbread, my oven stays off in the summer.
On really hot days, I prefer my small appliances to the stove. Less heat.

Back
Top Bottom