Show me your breakfast (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Open faced omelette with mushrooms and tarragon:

fullsizeoutput_8566.jpeg

I woke up hungry, and may have invented something. A breakfast omelet taco...

Not a great photo, but you get the idea. The tortilla is open for the photo so you can see the omelet.

1699547963407.jpeg

Two eggs, cooked slowly in butter, omelet style on medium heat in a non-stick pan with a lid. Some Queso Quesadilla cheese (Mexican), and Cholula hot sauce.

CD

Last edited:
The cool British kids loved biscuits and sausage gravy. The dorks didn't. :D
Yeah!
If you're presented with something new (especially food) then you need to try it. At the very least, try it. You might throw up, but at least, you've tried it.
My sis is one of those "Within my comfort zone or NADA!" people. She went to Croatia and came back saying they didn't know how to make chips (fries). She went to Thailand and ate every single day in an English restaurant that did "Sunday Roast". She even went to India and ate omelette and chips for 10 days.
Her son (my nephew) grew up with his mum's "limitations". He came over to Venezuela and we went to the beach. No fish, no seafood - he ate "pizza" ( and I can assure you, beach pizza is definitely among the worst in the world), "salad" (ie. lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber) or pasta. One day, after I'd spent 20 minutes translating the menu for him, he chose a pasta with 4-cheese sauce. When it arrived, he looked at it as if it had just been dragged out of the crocodile pit and said :
" I don't think I'm going to like that".
If you visit a foreign country, or you're introduced to "foreign" food, the very least you can do is to try it. That's called "education". If it tastes awful, then no problem, just don't eat it again. The locals will love you for it. If you're not interested in even trying, then stay at home. Don't travel. Do not leave your comfort zone. Do not pass "Go". Do not collect $200!

If you're presented with something new (especially food) then you need to try it. At the very least, try it. You might throw up, but at least, you've tried it.
I’m somewhere in the middle, I suppose. When I’m in another country, I’ll definitely try something I’d never eat at home, but it still has to be something I’d reasonably expect to like - it has to at least smell good to me, and if it looks good, all the better.

I’m not willing to try something, though, that smells bad or off to me, and I’m not about to risk eating something that might make me throw up (with the exception that if I’m a guest in someone’s home, I’ll eat whatever it is, so as not to be rude).

I like to eat, I like my food more than most, but I’m not insatiably curious about discovering new tastes or having to try everything put in front of me.

Well it be appealing to children doesn‘t exactly sell it. They eat haribo for goodness sake!

But I’m more than open to the sweet and salty thing so tell me your favourite recipe for this abomination 😆

Last edited:
Yeah!
My sis is one of those "Within my comfort zone or NADA!" people. She went to Croatia and came back saying they didn't know how to make chips (fries). She went to Thailand and ate every single day in an English restaurant that did "Sunday Roast". She even went to India and ate omelette and chips for 10 days.
Her son (my nephew) grew up with his mum's "limitations". He came over to Venezuela and we went to the beach. No fish, no seafood - he ate "pizza" ( and I can assure you, beach pizza is definitely among the worst in the world), "salad" (ie. lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber) or pasta. One day, after I'd spent 20 minutes translating the menu for him, he chose a pasta with 4-cheese sauce. When it arrived, he looked at it as if it had just been dragged out of the crocodile pit and said :
" I don't think I'm going to like that".
If you visit a foreign country, or you're introduced to "foreign" food, the very least you can do is to try it. That's called "education". If it tastes awful, then no problem, just don't eat it again. The locals will love you for it. If you're not interested in even trying, then stay at home. Don't travel. Do not leave your comfort zone. Do not pass "Go". Do not collect $200!

I'm pretty open to new things, but I do draw the line at food that is still moving. And, I'm not EVER going to eat eyeballs. Nope! Don't care if they are delicacy. Ain't happening.

CD

Well it be appealing to children doesn‘t exactly sell it. They eat haribo for goodness sake!

But I’m more than open to the sweet and salty thing so tell me your favourite recipe for this abomination 😆

American biscuits are not sweet. They are not "cookies" as we call what you call biscuits. They are more like a savory scone. You split one open, and pour sausage gravy on it. Sausage gravy is a white gravy (béchamel) with chunks of breakfast sausage. The roux for the gravy/béchamel is generally made with flour and the rendered fat from the sausage. Oh, and a generous amount of black pepper.

CD

EDIT: The guys who made that video are really annoying -- the one guy has the most hideous laugh ever -- but I have to say that they have travelled around the US quite a bit, and have eaten a lot of American foods with a very open mind.

Last edited:
American biscuits are not sweet. They are not "cookies" as we call what you call biscuits. They are more like a savory scone. You split one open, and pour sausage gravy on it. Sausage gravy is a white gravy (béchamel) with chunks of breakfast sausage. The roux for the gravy/béchamel is generally made with flour and the rendered fat from the sausage. Oh, and a generous amount of black pepper.

CD

EDIT: The guys who made that video are really annoying -- the one guy has the most hideous laugh ever -- but I have to say that they have travelled around the US quite a bit, and have eaten a lot of American foods with a very open mind.

Only playing.

My understanding is that the biscuits are more like the UK’s savoury cobbler top.
I honestly don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. If it was made the opposite way round with the ‘gravy’ on the bottom and the ‘biscuit’ on the top it would essentially be a sort of cobbler.

IMO it’s just the language difference that makes the visuals jarring. If it was called Savoury Cobbler with Sausagemeat Bechamel I doubt it would raise anything more than an “Oh right”
It’s simply the words biscuits and gravy that cause the initial disbelief.

but I do draw the linesat food that is still moving.
Yep, I with you on that.
Last time I was in Mexico, we went to a huge market and I stopped at a place that sold ...
INSECTS.
I spoke to the guy for about 5 minutes, consumed a grasshopper and then the guy said: " Eating this stuff is not really a big deal. It's more a question of in the mind. Most of these insects don't "taste" of very much; they're just crispy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom