Show me your breakfast (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beef doesn't taste either, spices tase...
I would like to order some worms to start a protein farm at home, but it's not that simple. They can get all kind of viruses if not kept well

Yep, I with you on that.
Last time I was in Mexico, we went to a huge market and I stopped at a place that sold ...
INSECTS.
I spoke to the guy for about 5 minutes, consumed a grasshopper and then the guy said: " Eating this stuff is not really a big deal. It's more a question of in the mind. Most of these insects don't "taste" of very much; they're just crispy".
Mmm 😋 crunchy

Beef doesn't taste either, spices tase...
I would like to order some worms to start a protein farm at home, but it's not that simple. They can get all kind of viruses if not kept well

The beef I buy here has flavor. Seasonings enhance the flavor, but if you season properly, you can still taste the beef.

CD

okay, fat in beef has a taste and the older the better. but meat tissue just tastes like meat and has over 60% to 70% water and minerals, the rest is cultivated encymes from hanging around. we could make the same with insects, they dont have much fat though

okay, fat in beef has a taste and the older the better. but meat tissue just tastes like meat and has over 60% to 70% water and minerals, the rest is cultivated encymes from hanging around. we could make the same with insects, they dont have much fat though

I salt my steaks, and let them sit on a rack in my mini fridge for 24 hours before cooking. You'd be surprised how much water weight is lost just in 24 hours.

But yes, with beef, fat is flavor.

CD

I salt my steaks, and let them sit on a rack in my mini fridge for 24 hours before cooking. You'd be surprised how much water weight is lost just in 24 hours.

But yes, with beef, fat is flavor.

CD
Never do that. Does it improve flavor much?

Never do that. Does it improve flavor much?

It does improve the meatiness by enough to notice. All this process does is remove excess water. The meat turns a darker red, but does not develop a pellicle (dry, funky skin) like a long-term dry aged cut of beef.

I weighed the difference once, but don't remember what it was. I'll try to remember to do that again next time.

CD

Chefs I've met are good with all the different preparations. You can pre salt 24hr, 2hr, 5min or nothing and everytime between. If you can make a steak you can make a steak, but sometimes you need something different. A good tomato sauce will always taste good, but sometimes you want to add cheese, more onions or something else.

No pics, but we ate here this morning:

Lumberton General Store

The owner is the granddaughter of the man who used to have a diner there decades ago. We ate at it then, about 19 years ago, and it was just before it shuttered for good, and it was terrible, and the building has sat as an empty, dilapidated eyesore since.

When we saw a couple of years ago that they were trying to resurrect it as a locally-sourced place, we contributed a few bucks to their GoFundMe page to help them out, and this was our first chance to try them out.

Small menu, somewhat limited hours, but the food was excellent.

Cheese and Chicken breast, lambs lettuce, lemon, fennel, thyme and savory
20231115_084156.jpg

When I eat to much at lunch I'm bloated when the shift starts, so I rather enjoy a bigger breakfast.
Some weeks ago I switched my diet to more proteins and less carbs, and now It's even better to digest, because I've started again to take protein supplements, so I don't have to eat 300g of meat every day.
The next 2 days I'm gonna do a herbal tea fasting

Breakfast taco. Just eggs, cheese and hot sauce today. I need to go grocery shopping. Of course, I hate to do that right before I leave town for a week.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom