Starting my weight loss journey today...

I've been on a diet (1,200 calories a day) since the first Monday of the year. So far it is going well but I don't weigh myself often because otherwise I get obsessive about it and I have to be careful in that area. But I have had 2 weigh ins since then, the first and then 4 weeks in and I'm going well. I'm also walking twice a day for physio and exercise. The morning is longer and faster, the evening I take the neighbours dog with me and he is getting old and slow sadly) but I walk for about an hour a day at a decent pace (now). Hopefully I will be able to get back out on my bike and trike soon.

I find I actually can't eat a full portion of breakfast cereal (porridge) so add some fruit to it. Raspberries and blackberries have surprisingly few calories in then (40 and 36 per 100g of fruit) and I only have 60g of 1 of them a day with the porridge (made with unsweetened almond milk) so it comes in around the 200 calories mark. Lunch is usually raw vegetables which is something I have always done and served with either an egg or some other protein (tofu or tvp). My evening meal is more interesting. I usually try to stick to 500 calories for that and don't exclude rice (always brown/wholemeal). That leaves me 300 calories for snacks or treats and drinks. There is a brand of popcorn that is 80 calories for a decent portion which I have when my husband is at home. if I have any beer it is usually only 150-200ml (a small glass) which is typically 50-75 calories which is great. I generally don't drink much other that hot milk or water with lemon or lime in it and my hot milk (almond milk) is unsweetened so comes in at something like 26 calories for a 200ml serving. Occasionally I have tonic water (I've finally conceded and gone over to the slimline version) which is 5 calories a glass. Then we have some treats in the house which I have occasionally. Some olive oil rice crackers which are in a packet and are only 85 calories per packet. I'm often surprised as to how many I get in a packet for so few calories. And my favourite ice cream which is only 136 calories a portion! It was bought for me, not something I would normally purchase myself when dieting.

I think my biggest problem is weekends. My husband likes to eat much more than he realises and serves me way to much as a result. It's hard to eat my usual lunch at the weekend so finding something low calorie to eat immediately after having done the weekly shop is hard but I have finally got him away from what we used to have (an olive ciabatta dipped in balsamic vinegar and olive oil and served with humous) and we now have a tomato and basil soup (93 calories a portion) with 100g of homemade sourdough (roughly 250 calories) and if he is really hungry I will add an egg to that for him.

what a coincidence.I am also starting my weight loss journey today. I hope to cut 2 kg weight every week. My diet plan includes vegetable soup 4 times in a day. Pop corn three times a day and juice once a day.
Vegetable soup is a great way to 'fill up' without too many calories - so long as you don't use a lot of oil or butter to make it. Also popcorn - although not the sweet sort! By the way @Vinaya, can you put your location under your picture so people know where you are - its easy! To see how, click here: How to add your location to below your avatar.

Reactions: L_B
I've been on a diet (1,200 calories a day) since the first Monday of the year. So far it is going well but I don't weigh myself often because otherwise I get obsessive about it and I have to be careful in that area. But I have had 2 weigh ins since then, the first and then 4 weeks in and I'm going well. I'm also walking twice a day for physio and exercise. The morning is longer and faster, the evening I take the neighbours dog with me and he is getting old and slow sadly) but I walk for about an hour a day at a decent pace (now). Hopefully I will be able to get back out on my bike and trike soon.

I find I actually can't eat a full portion of breakfast cereal (porridge) so add some fruit to it. Raspberries and blackberries have surprisingly few calories in then (40 and 36 per 100g of fruit) and I only have 60g of 1 of them a day with the porridge (made with unsweetened almond milk) so it comes in around the 200 calories mark. Lunch is usually raw vegetables which is something I have always done and served with either an egg or some other protein (tofu or tvp). My evening meal is more interesting. I usually try to stick to 500 calories for that and don't exclude rice (always brown/wholemeal). That leaves me 300 calories for snacks or treats and drinks. There is a brand of popcorn that is 80 calories for a decent portion which I have when my husband is at home. if I have any beer it is usually only 150-200ml (a small glass) which is typically 50-75 calories which is great. I generally don't drink much other that hot milk or water with lemon or lime in it and my hot milk (almond milk) is unsweetened so comes in at something like 26 calories for a 200ml serving. Occasionally I have tonic water (I've finally conceded and gone over to the slimline version) which is 5 calories a glass. Then we have some treats in the house which I have occasionally. Some olive oil rice crackers which are in a packet and are only 85 calories per packet. I'm often surprised as to how many I get in a packet for so few calories. And my favourite ice cream which is only 136 calories a portion! It was bought for me, not something I would normally purchase myself when dieting.

I think my biggest problem is weekends. My husband likes to eat much more than he realises and serves me way to much as a result. It's hard to eat my usual lunch at the weekend so finding something low calorie to eat immediately after having done the weekly shop is hard but I have finally got him away from what we used to have (an olive ciabatta dipped in balsamic vinegar and olive oil and served with humous) and we now have a tomato and basil soup (93 calories a portion) with 100g of homemade sourdough (roughly 250 calories) and if he is really hungry I will add an egg to that for him.
Lots of good ideas here. I use almond milk all the time. It saves literally 100s of calories! Its good for adding a creamy taste to vegetable soups and brilliant on cereal.:happy:

Also popcorn - although not the sweet sort!

The are several brands of sweet and salty popcorn now where the serving size is respectable and the calories are around the 120 mark. Proper Corn, Tyrrels are 2 that come to mind immediately in the ready popped variety and then the Butterkist sweet and salty microwave popcorn which is 80 calories a serving which is my favourite. Sadly I have only found out in 3 serving sized bags but even so 1.5 portions is a very decent amount and is only 120 calories. It is great for an evening treat and my husband is more than happy to have 2 portions if I only want the 1!

I am sure I am not doing as well as I can and it's not even that I am overeating or anything. Yesterday I actually starved myself out. I think a lot of other negative stuff is making this harder. Anyway, it feels good to see others are doing well and that's encouraging.

Well I weighed myself this morning and I am down 7 lbs. I always have a big loss the first week but most of it is probably fluid. I surprised myself by staying on track the entire weekend. I was out walking twice a day even though it was cold. Yesterday was terribly cold so I did some mall walking. The mall is never too busy on Sunday so I can keep a good pace while doing my laps. Thank you everybody for all the advice and ideas. I am determined this time to succeed. I want to feel good when I do to the beach this summer. Thanks @SatNavSaysStraightOn for the detailed description of what you eat. It is very helpful and a lot of good ideas. I always keep the 100 calorie snacks on hand for when I need something and don't want to over do it. So how are you doing @winterybella and @Vinaya? I think it is great that we can all work at this together. It is great for motivation!

It is time to pay for taking advantage of all the good food during the holidays. It is winter and hard to get out to walk, I hula hoop when I can not get out.

I eat an apple a day and drink more water, avoid the bread and sugar. Hope in the the next 2 weeks my goal will be within site.

I picked up the courage to weigh myself yesterday morning to find that I have now lost 5kg. I still need to lose another 1kg for my bmi to drop below 25 and me pass from the overweight category to the normal category, another 8kg for me to get to my preferred max weight, another 10kg to get to where I was when my back went 15 months ago and another 13kg to my ideal weight (as in the weight I am happiest with), so I have a long way to go yet. It will probably take me as long to lose the weight as it did to put it on!

I picked up the courage to weigh myself yesterday morning to find that I have now lost 5kg. I still need to lose another 1kg for my bmi to drop below 25 and me pass from the overweight category to the normal category, another 8kg for me to get to my preferred max weight, another 10kg to get to where I was when my back went 15 months ago and another 13kg to my ideal weight (as in the weight I am happiest with), so I have a long way to go yet. It will probably take me as long to lose the weight as it did to put it on!
Well done! Its very difficult and you are doing it.:happy: I'm struggling. Its the alcohol with me. I haven't dared weigh myself recently - I know I have been drinking too much due to problems with my son. But I can tell from my clothes that I'm about 10 kg over my ideal weight. Despite the fact I'm an obsessive cook, I eat very little. I mainly just cook it and have a few tastes of it! In fact, if I eat, I really can't enjoy cooking. I have to feel hungry (which I do all day!) and then I enjoy cooking.

Anyway, your success is spurring me on @SatNavSaysStraightOn. Lets all keep at it!

Wow you are doing great! Keep up the good work. I know it takes a lot of hard work and commitment to see results but it is all worth it. @morning glory I know it can be difficult to stay focused when you have other issues going on in your life. I hope everything works out with your son. Being a mom is a challenging job at times.

Wow you are doing great! Keep up the good work. I know it takes a lot of hard work and commitment to see results but it is all worth it. @morning glory I know it can be difficult to stay focused when you have other issues going on in your life. I hope everything works out with your son. Being a mom is a challenging job at times.
Trouble is, the son in question is 26! :scratchhead:

I had another weigh in at the weekend when I picked up the courage to stand on the scales again. Success. I'm now below the overweight/normal divide for that (blasted) BMI index and have almost lost 7kg since starting the diet on the 4th January. It's a little under the aim which was a kg a week but my weekends are often well over my diet calories per day because of missing my Saturday morning exercise and my OH's eating habits (or more accurately snacking habits) but they are under the 2,000 calories a day UK women's guidelines.

There is still a long way to go, but I think I should be down to my preferred max weight before we leave the UK, so I'll not have to think about dieting this hard during the move which will be great (assuming that the visa comes through OK and the first continues a pace).

I had another weigh in at the weekend when I picked up the courage to stand on the scales again. Success. I'm now below the overweight/normal divide for that (blasted) BMI index and have almost lost 7kg since starting the diet on the 4th January. It's a little under the aim which was a kg a week but my weekends are often well over my diet calories per day because of missing my Saturday morning exercise and my OH's eating habits (or more accurately snacking habits) but they are under the 2,000 calories a day UK women's guidelines.

There is still a long way to go, but I think I should be down to my preferred max weight before we leave the UK, so I'll not have to think about dieting this hard during the move which will be great (assuming that the visa comes through OK and the first continues a pace).

You are doing great! It is also so inspiring to read of other's successes. It keeps me motivated. I am still doing well and beginning to see results. I have been sticking with my healthy eating even on the weekends which is good for me. It has been too cold to get out walking so I go mall walking on the days that are too cold to be outside. I was surprised how many mall walkers they are. I am down 11 lbs so far. I have a long way to go yet but I am feeling determined.

I actually just started a diet and exercise plan about three weeks ago. My biggest advice is to eat smaller portions more often throughout the day. I always see the best results when I eat 5 or 6 small meals a day than when I eat 3 normal sized meals. Stick with complex carbs (or low-carb) and protein. Don't completely deprive yourself of the foods you love though or you won't be able to maintain the weight loss. I google healthy food blogs to help me out. Best of luck!

I actually just started a diet and exercise plan about three weeks ago. My biggest advice is to eat smaller portions more often throughout the day. I always see the best results when I eat 5 or 6 small meals a day than when I eat 3 normal sized meals. Stick with complex carbs (or low-carb) and protein. Don't completely deprive yourself of the foods you love though or you won't be able to maintain the weight loss. I google healthy food blogs to help me out. Best of luck!

Thank you for the great advice. Every little bit of advice is a great help. I am now down 12 lbs since I started watching what I eat and exercising. I am very pleased with my results so far. I haven't been able to exercise much though because I have an old knee injury that has been giving me trouble the past week. It is swollen and hard to walk on. I went out dancing on Saturday night and I have been paying for it in pain ever since. :(

Back
Top Bottom