Starting my weight loss journey today...

Thank you for the great advice. Every little bit of advice is a great help. I am now down 12 lbs since I started watching what I eat and exercising. I am very pleased with my results so far. I haven't been able to exercise much though because I have an old knee injury that has been giving me trouble the past week. It is swollen and hard to walk on. I went out dancing on Saturday night and I have been paying for it in pain ever since. :(
Sorry to hear that @L_B, I haven't had another weigh in recently so don't know my progress or lack of... I am ill at the moment, have been for over a week now with flu which went gastric at one point, I'm also on steroids yet again (in addition to my daily ones) to control my asthma through this bout, so I'm not really wanting to stand on the scales next Monday am which is when I usually with myself (first Monday of the month). Recovery is more important than diet right now so plenty of fluids and protein for me!

Best of luck with the knee injury, they are a pain to say the least. I'm just over one thankfully. Turned out to be easily sorted once I tracked down the culprit... Using my shoes instead of my boots. I use my custom innersoles in both but hypermobility causes issues and it had reoccurred sadly so back to the boots and in no time at all my knee is sorted!

I am quiet because things are not going great for me in this department. I don't have to step on the scale, I just know. I'm all over the place and not eating sensibly and it has nothing to do with overeating. I still encourage everyone to keep making progress.

Reactions: L_B
Well today is the day I start trying to get some of this weight off before summer arrives.
I was reminded by somebody yesterday about how fat I am. It hurt at first but then I decided to use that negative comment to inspire me. I am looking for some ideas for some healthy low cal meals. What is your favorite go to meal when you are trying to lose weight?
Salads are good. Salads with black beans and lots of fresh veggies. Low on fat. High on protein and healthy for you.

It is always great to have others join along. It is great for motivation! I would really like if we could do this together. The challenge sound great and some great advice. Bread is a big one for me. I tend to eat too much carbs so I have to learn ways up cutting down on that.
I will join you. Already trying to lose weight. We can do it together.

Thank you for the great advice. Every little bit of advice is a great help. I am now down 12 lbs since I started watching what I eat and exercising. I am very pleased with my results so far. I haven't been able to exercise much though because I have an old knee injury that has been giving me trouble the past week. It is swollen and hard to walk on. I went out dancing on Saturday night and I have been paying for it in pain ever since. :(

Aww that's too bad. Exercising is one of my favorite releases. I actually tore a ligament in my right ankle in high school so my knee had to pick up the slack for my ankle and I do have trouble with it when it comes to squats and lunges. 12 pounds is awesome! What have you been eating? Do you find recipes somewhere or do you just focus more on fruits and veggies and stuff?

12 lbs is brilliant! You have really done well @L_B! I wish I could lose that much. Hope your knee is better by now. I wouldn't worry too much about exercising. It really doesn't burn up that many cals unless you do it really hard and for a long period. However, exercise can boost the metabolism in general, I think.... but so can stress :eek:. In which case, I ought to be really skinny. :laugh:

I was chatting to someone else here and mentioned I might post some of my ideas for 200 Kcal meals. I'll have to trawl through my recipe book. But as you like mushrooms - then that's a good start. You just need to cook them without fat!

I have always found that if you stick to 1200 kcals per day then the weight will drop off. But you have to stick to it. So - if you have a list of 200 Kcal meals, it means you can eat 6 times a day! My downfall is alcohol - which has as many calories as fruit juice (don't ever kid yourself that fruit juice is low calories!). If I give up drinking I find it easy to shed weight. 1200Kcals is really quite a lot of food!
Is wine high I calories too? I have been drinking quite a bit of it lately and have gained a few pounds myself this year. Perhaps I need to give up the wine for a while.

Well today is the day I start trying to get some of this weight off before summer arrives.
I was reminded by somebody yesterday about how fat I am. It hurt at first but then I decided to use that negative comment to inspire me. I am looking for some ideas for some healthy low cal meals. What is your favorite go to meal when you are trying to lose weight?

I'm sorry you had to put up with that. You have a great attitude though in turning it around and trying to take positive action.

I started my journey a little while ago. Since I'm nearing the change of life, weight is more of an issue. I gain faster and lose slower.

I try to eat more protein, more fiber, and fewer carbs. My go to meal tends to be chicken salad, which is similar to a Caesar salad but without the Caesar dressing, which I don't care for. I use Romaine lettuce, broiled or grilled chicken, and lots of veggies. I like cheese too, although it's best to limit it.

I like to make the chicken with different seasonings and in different ways to avoid burning out on the same dish.

Best of luck. You can do it!

Is wine high I calories too? I have been drinking quite a bit of it lately and have gained a few pounds myself this year. Perhaps I need to give up the wine for a while.
Wine is about 650 Kcals per bottle. A small glass of wine (assuming six glasses in a bottle) is therefor about 110 Kcals. A few glasses a day can be factored into you calorie intake - but I drink a lot more usually!.

Right on, fellow CookingBites members!

I've dieted twice throughout my life (Im going to be 31 this coming October) & as a foodie at heart, I'll admit it was one of the hardest things I've ever attempted. However, it seems to have worked, because I managed to keep the weight off (the first time I had to diet, it was in order to gain weight, rather than lose it).

Here's my approach to things when dieting to shed pounds (this may turn out to be a bit of a longer post, but if it makes dieting a bit easier for anyone that chooses to read it, I'll be happy I included all I did!) with a few good low calorie recipes attached. I wish you each much luck, l know you CAN do it!

First & foremost, before a dieter thinks about the foods they are going to avoid or try to eat more of, I've always believed that they should think about their body & where it currently stands. Meaning, before you start doing so, make sure your body is ready & prepared to diet. Major changes in your eating-habits & routines should ideally only be made when a person is well-rested, fairly healthy, & in a good mindset. Dieting can be a stressful undertaking and can cause more harm than good if done in the wrong ways!

Additional to watching what we eat, there are of course many other factors that contribute to a successful diet, like: daily excercise, whether it be a full workout at a gym, a game of catch with your little one, or even just a walk around the block after all day at that desk... then there is keeping the body hydrated & flushed with a continuous flow of water throughout the day & evening (an easy alternative to filling up a water-glass 6-8 times a day getting yourself a sturdy, reuseable waterbottle & keeping it with you at all times... to add some flavour, add a squeeze or two of fresh lime or lemon juice to it), avoiding temptation (favorite fast food haunts, bad influences, junk food purchases), keeping healthy snacks around for those times you get 'snackish', instead of candy or salty/fatty foods, & of course keeping busy & keeping your stress levels down, using your brain, dancing, singing, having sex (all of these things are beneficial for a happy body, & they also burn calories!)... etc.

It's also important not to change too much all at once when dieting & to work slowly in to things... your body will adapt to the changes more easily and will respond better to your plan of action.

Now, we get to the real bones of the FOOD part of things. Of course, eating less is a given, but... some tricks & tips for this include: using a smaller serving plate or bowl when eating in order to make your servings of food seem larger & therefore more filling, sipping water with & throughout your meals, taking smaller bites while eating, eating several small meals throughout your day & evening rather than 3 regular sized ones (this dieting technique has been called the 'grazing method', hehe), etc.

As far as WHAT to eat goes, let's just basically say that we want to try replacing as much of the UNNECCESARY carbs, sugars, & fats that you eat on a daily basis, with as many 'good foods' as possible. So, here are some examples: instead of white breads, pastas & rices, opt for brown or wild rice, wholegrain breads, or multigrain pastas. Lay off the frying pan for frying & start using it to braise (cook in liquid... which can be water, broth, etc.) ingredients or meals. Swap full-fat butter for margarine. Instead of ice cream or that honkin' slice of cheese or devil's foodcake for dessert, whip yourself up a nice bowl of vanilla yogurt topped with a handful of frozen bluberries, or maybe try some chocolate Jell-O pudding & sliced fruit. When snacking, don't open a bag of potato chips & crack a can of soda, open a box of your favorite crackers & a container of your favorite low fat dip or hummus, & pour yourself a glass of homemade, low-sugar lime-ade. When buying vegetables, choose ones that you ENJOY, because otherwise you won't eat them (good veggies to eat while dieting, & at any other time really, are dark green ones (like romaine lettuce, brussels sprouts, spinach, broccoli, kale, etc.) & orange ones (sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, etc).

When making lunch or dinner, aim for roughly 2/3 of your plate to consist of your vegetables & protein (instead of a well marbled steak, have a poached salmon fillet with a squeeze of lemon juice chopped fresh dill weed- salmon is also one of the 'super foods' we are now hearing so much about), & the other 3rd to consist of your starches or carbs. Also, dieting is when herbs, seasonings & condiments can be a godsend. You can add a ton of flavour with very little extra added salt, sugar or fat when utilizing something like a good bottle of hot sauce or a handful of fresh, chopped basil or mint. Experimentation is key here, have fun with things: a diet can be fun and interesting if you make it so. It can actually be a culinary adventure of sorts!

As for a low-cal' favorite dish or some low-cal' snack recipes, here are a few of my former go to's:

-Caramelized Cabbage & Onion Soup: http://www.livevegan.org/index.php/meatout-mondays/item/caramelized-cabbage-onion-soup#.Vt1WZb1E3Q8

-Kale & Cashew Salad: http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/salads/superfood-salad-with-creamy-cashew-dressing/

-Vietnamese Glass Noodle Salad with Shrimp: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ese-shrimp-and-glass-noodle-salad-recipe.html

-Baked Sweet Potato 'Fries': http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Healthy-Sweet-Potato-Fries-34184453

Good luck to all of the dieters, and I hope your journey goes as smoothly as it can. We are all here cheering for you! :)

Last edited:
hows the first month gone? hope youre keeping on top :)
I lost 16 lbs the first month. The last week loss was mostly due to having this flu which I had for a week. I have been eating very little and sleeping lots. Those 4 lbs may come back once I start feeling better. I have had a few set backs with a sore knee and the flu but other then that I have been doing really good. I am happy with my results and I am determined to stick with this. Thanks for asking! :)

Back
Top Bottom