Steak, How do you prep it

Yes, I also initially season with salt and pepper or go the whole hog and coat it with mustard and cracked black pepper.....

cut 2 s.jpg

@Shermie. Lol. RockLobster and I were making polar opposite jokes about the doneness of meat. I wouldn't take it literally :wink:.

Last edited:
Steak is a pretty wide category. There's lots of popular cuts that require very little prep, and the cook is equally uncomplicated. But then there's various cuts, from super thin, to tough, thick, and fatty; from mechanically tenderized, to enzymatic softening tricks, and so on.

That is so true. I've bought steak that tastes amazing and is tender as can be with little prep - and other times, it needs a hefty marinade. I also think steak in the USA is probably different from the UK and may well be better, in general. Steak here is popular but I don't think its as popular as in the States.

I like my steaks done so that they are cooked right through. still very slightly pink in the middle but not oozing. Had a lovely steak with Stilton on my birthday - they mustn't get it wrong, because they can't put it back under the grill or whatever without ruining the Stilton sauce.

I use eye fillet ala fillet Mignon. Wrapped in bacon. Cooked blue. Steak Dianne sauce full of Garlic. If guests are here I offer mushroom sauce also. I like to give my guests choices.

Russ

Forgot to add s and p before cooking. And I prefer aged steak.

This is the one that I normally buy. Probably the best local stuff available. ฿700.00 to ฿900.00/kg (approx A$28.00 to A$36.00/kg).

dry aged fillet s.jpg

Ok, the quote thing won't work. Yorky I've never seen anything like that, I just buy from my local butcher. My good friend sold his butcher shop a few years ago. I miss popping in to see him. Fillet steak goes from $40 to $50 kg. I go to a Mediterranean shop and get it for $28 kg. Then I wrap bacon around it. We are having this on Sunday. My dil birthday so you get to choose what we have. She has chosen
Chicken croquettes. Everyone's fave entree.
Filler Mignon with choice Dianne sauce and mushroom sauce. She loves shrooms.
Chocolate mousse for dessert.
Main served with potato dauphinois and other vegetables.

Wife's was last week she chose soufflé as mentioned earlier. Creamy chicken skillet. And trifle. Her fave.lol.

Russ

The only butcher in these parts (which I would almost trust) is in the larger of our local superstores (Big 'C'). However, they stopped selling beef some 12 months ago and now concentrate on chicken, pork and duck. It may have been because the local population is predominately Buddhist and many do not eat beef.

This is a cut from "Chef's Kitchen" last year before I invested in a blowlamp..

jan fillet cut s.jpg

And this is a similar cut post blowlamp...

fillet burner 0 s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom