The CookingBites Cookalong: Tarte Tatin

Thanks @morning glory I'll try that pastry recipe. I've promised my mum I'll make venison wellington for Christmas lunch so need to get pastry practicing!

Doves Farm flour is the easiest gf flour to buy here (most supermarkets) and there are lots of recipes using that flour blend. Aldi do a cheaper gf flour but I've not tried it. I'm finding it best to use recipes that specify the flour blend.
The problem with using gf flour for pastry is it falls apart so difficult to handle. The xantham gum is supposed to help with this. My last attempt ended up being moulded into the pastry case.

I liked the recipes of both Paul Bocuse and Alain Ducasse, which are available in English. Both are traditional classics and work ..

I have never made it as I do not bake very frequently but my mom and mom in law do ..

Thanks @morning glory I'll try that pastry recipe. I've promised my mum I'll make venison wellington for Christmas lunch so need to get pastry practicing!

Doves Farm flour is the easiest gf flour to buy here (most supermarkets) and there are lots of recipes using that flour blend. Aldi do a cheaper gf flour but I've not tried it. I'm finding it best to use recipes that specify the flour blend.
The problem with using gf flour for pastry is it falls apart so difficult to handle. The xantham gum is supposed to help with this. My last attempt ended up being moulded into the pastry case.

I've orded some Dove's GF flour and I aleady have xanthum gum so I will have a go later this week!

Looks lovely! I absolutely adore anchovies. P.S. to correct the typo in the Recipe thread title click on 'Thread Tools' and choose 'Edit Thread' - then just correct the typo and save changes.
Please note my options look different from yours (as I'm on admin team).

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 17.30.02.png

:okay::) Sorry if I was telling you something you already knew! A lot of people seem to get stuck on how to edit a title... I did at first.

I had managed to edit the title but forgot I had already taken the URL to add to the challenge thread, so you prompted me to change that too. Thanks. I'm a web consultant! but all these systems are different so instructions are always welcome :okay:

Last edited:
I make dairy free shortcrust all the time - always have in fact, using Stork or Trex or similar - so that is strange.

I can make and do make a dairy free shortcrust pastry all the time and have no problems with it. I have issues with my dairy free sweet shortcrust pastry which is not as straight forward or at least my recipe isn't as just putting sugar into my savoury shortcrust recipe. For some reason the last time i made it (and made it without egg that time) it was much more like shortbread (as in the sweet biscuit).

I can make and do make a dairy free shortcrust pastry all the time and have no problems with it. I have issues with my dairy free sweet shortcrust pastry which is not as straight forward or at least my recipe isn't as just putting sugar into my savoury shortcrust recipe. For some reason the last time i made it (and made it without egg that time) it was much more like shortbread (as in the sweet biscuit).

What is the recipe - is it on the Forum?

Back
Top Bottom