The CookingBites recipe challenge: lentils (any type, any form)

Just three days left - I’m not sure I have another one in me, but I may.

Let’s get some more lentil recipes in the home stretch!

Teaser for my last one, which will incorporate oven-roasted lentils:

IMG_5737.jpeg

My last one, something just like me, sweet & nutty:

Recipe - Lentil-Pistachio Brittle

I made this somewhat on the spur of the moment, because if I’d read the directions, I wouldn’t have. :laugh:

I hate making candy, and I’ve never made brittle before, but glancing over the ingredients only, it seemed simple enough. Only when I’d gotten partially into it did I realize I needed to cook things to various temps, like when making candy…and I don’t have a candy thermometer (because I don’t like making candy).

I ended up using my digital probe thermometer, and that wasn’t as easy as it sounds - no clip, so I had to try and hold that steady while stirring this goop, and after the addition of the lentils and nuts, it was like trying to stir half-set concrete, so I’d stir a bit, check the temp (and my thermometer isn’t a quick-read one, so it was a matter of waiting…waiting…waiting), stir a bit, check the temp.

Finally got it where it needed to be, and…well, this is some sticky stuff, and it didn’t want to spread, so I had to mash it down forcefully, and it was cooling by the second and getting more troublesome. I think I pushed all the fizzy bubbles from the baking soda out of it, but oh well.

As to the taste…it’s very good, actually. It has that almost-bitter flavor of nearly-burnt sugar and brown butter, which I like, and it’s very nutty. I don’t generally like nuts cooked in cakes and things like that, but this is fine.

If you like brittle, give it a go, but make sure you have the proper equipment and can work fast.

No more from me.
I bought 3 different lentils for the challenge, but then my wife had an operation on her foot and couldn't move for two weeks. She was allowed to hobble from one place to another this week, but it still meant I had to cook 3 meals a day for her and my disabled son, do the shopping, (none of which I object to), drive son to the gym every day, pick things up from the pharmacy, do the garden, wash the clothes... and sonny has been over a week where he doesn't sleep at night, so he wakes up at 2-3am, shouting obscenities and waking everyone up.
So sorry, no more entries.

Sorry you’ve got all that going on, karadekoolaid , certainly understandable. Hopefully things settle down a bit for you soon.

and sonny has been over a week where he doesn't sleep at night, so he wakes up at 2-3am, shouting obscenities and waking everyone up.
So sorry, no more entries.

Well you have entered - so no need to apologise. I've failed completely to enter the single dish I settled on. I too had a night time problem last night with Steve (partner who has dementia) waking and wandering about several times. I got maybe 3 hours sleep in all and was in no state today to cook anything other than egg on toast for his lunch and a heated up meal for his dinner. It was going to be kichdi with roasted vegetable masala.

Well I've drawn up a short-list of recipes

msmofet Recipe - Ms. Mofet's Linguine and Lentils
Lentils work very well with rice, and I've no doubt they would with pasta.

blades Recipe - Lentil Tacos
I do like tacos and like the idea of switching out the refried beans with lentils.

karadekoolaid Recipe - Beluga Lentils with Spinach and Spicy Tomato Butter
This is right down my street. I love this combination of spices.

I'll let you know later which recipe I choose.

TastyReuben your lentil & pistachio brittle intrigues me but I'm not certain my teeth will appreciate it. But I suspect I may try it anyhow.
Elizabeth I do so love mixing fruit with lentils and i love mushrooms.

Thank you for this honor. I have to think about this a bit. Where do I go to see a list of past ingredients?
Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Thank you for this honor. I have to think about this a bit. Where do I go to see a list of past ingredients?
Any suggestions welcome.

Congratulations!

Regarding the next challenge:

As usual, its best to choose an ingredient which is fairly accessible in all our various countries. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.
If you want to you can 'float' an idea for the next ingredient in this thread or if in doubt PM me or another moderator for advice.

Please note the link medtran49 gives is to the whole thread about the challenge. The links in the above paragraph lead directly to the lists in date order and alphabetical order.

Back
Top Bottom