The CookingBites recipe challenge: lentils (any type, any form)

Will you share?
Ask MypinchofItaly. I am sure she would be willing to share. I don't like to share another person's family recipe without getting permission first. Some people are very protective of their family recipes.
A friend of my stepson has gifted us with really good homemade Italian sausage made by his dad. I begged for the recipe. I had to laugh. His Father has refused to give the recipe to his children until he dies. It will be part of their inheritance.

I posted my last contribution to the lentil challenge just to make sure I can get it right at
Lentil Dipping Sauce
The rest of my supply of lentils is going into a batch of lentil soup. No need to post it since it isn't different from the way you probably make it. Fingers are crossed that I have mastered the process of contributing to the challenge.

You have mastered entering the challenge perfectly!

One thing I would say though is that not all lentil soups are the same. They can be very different depending on the country of origin or the type of lentils used. Or indeed a lot of other variables.

You have mastered entering the challenge perfectly!

One thing I would say though is that not all lentil soups are the same. They can be very different depending on the country of origin or the type of lentils used. Or indeed a lot of other variables.
As long as it has lentils, bacon and stock it works for me. Thanks for the master degree.

As long as it has lentils, bacon and stock it works for me. Thanks for the master degree.
Never had bacon (or stock I usually just use water in my soup) in lentil soup.

Let me recommend bacon highly. For me it makes lentil soup worth making. I just cook it in a skillet cut it up and add it along with the bacon drippings to the soup pot. Your way sounds healthier. :)

I'm with you on that first one.

I do have a vegetable stock that we love and I often drink as a drink by itself (different concentration and in the directions on the packet) but there are one or two soups I make that benefit from water not veg stock

Here’s my first one:

Recipe - Lentil Sloppy Joes

Let’s get out of the way that while this is a vegan recipe, I made a couple of substitutions, so what’s pictured below isn’t vegan. I doubt it affected the finished product any, though.

IMG_5602.jpeg

Started with some pretty basic ingredients, red lentils standing in for the ground beef I’d usually include.

Cooked the lentils in one pan, the sauce ingredients in another, then introduced them to each other:

I decided to make this similarly to the “sloppy joe special” we had in Pennsylvania recently, adding some cheese, just for MrsT:

I made mine open-faced and that’s pictured in the daily nibbles topic.

The verdict? Quite good! Taste is fine, because so much of that in a sloppy joe comes from the sauce. The texture isn’t exact, but it’s close.

MrsT, though not as enthusiastic as she’s been with other recent challenge entries, still requested I not lose this one.

Here’s my first one:

Recipe - Lentil Sloppy Joes

Let’s get out of the way that while this is a vegan recipe, I made a couple of substitutions, so what’s pictured below isn’t vegan. I doubt it affected the finished product any, though.

View attachment 104357
Started with some pretty basic ingredients, red lentils standing in for the ground beef I’d usually include.

Cooked the lentils in one pan, the sauce ingredients in another, then introduced them to each other:

I decided to make this similarly to the “sloppy joe special” we had in Pennsylvania recently, adding some cheese, just for MrsT:

I made mine open-faced and that’s pictured in the daily nibbles topic.

The verdict? Quite good! Taste is fine, because so much of that in a sloppy joe comes from the sauce. The texture isn’t exact, but it’s close.

MrsT, though not as enthusiastic as she’s been with other recent challenge entries, still requested I not lose this one.
Just a thought. In my view lentils don't have all that much flavor but they are nutricious. As you suggest, they take on the flavors with which they are combined. It looks like we cooks can conjure up the use of lentils in nearly any type of recipe without causing a problem with flavor. I think it is a good thing because adding nutrition to a dish is a positive thing. Yours is yet another creative application of this little legume. Glad it worked out.

Started with a sandwich, moving on to soup:

Recipe - Lentil Soup with Sausage and Fennel

I know, I know…lentil-sausage soup isn’t stretching any boundaries, and we topped out at 91F today, so not exactly soup weather…but this really hit the spot.

I’d strongly suggest including the sour cream and (especially) the hot sauce - the creaminess sort of pulls it all together, and the little sour acid taste from the hot sauce really brightens it up.

I was planning on freezing the rest of this, but I think it’ll be on repeat for tomorrow!

I'm really not doing well here. Lentils are right up my street and I have tons of ideas and plenty of lentils of all types. Yet somehow I haven't yet cooked anything for the challenge. Its partly the current intense heat here which slammed in when I was about to cook something. Its also partly through indecision (too many ideas/recipes). I think I over researched!

Back
Top Bottom