The CookingBites recipe challenge: processed canned/tinned luncheon meat

I like SPAM®, but just that thought of SPAM® infused vodka makes me want to wretch just a bit. I've heard of bacon infused vodka, and bacon supposedly makes everything better... but not vodka. 🤢

CD
Then this is really going to make you sick, from Hormel’s website:

Brandon Phillips, The Duck Inn’s beverage director who created the drink, started by mixing lard with Spam and two different types of rum, and let that mixture sit overnight. He then strained the lard-liquors and blended the infused liquid with fresh pineapple juice, lime juice, orgeat syrup and bitters.

“Lard-liquors…” hmmmm…

I’m afraid I’ll have to sit this one out. I do not like ham, and I absolutely cannot stand SPAM. Just the smell makes me want to retch.
Imma jus’ leave this here:

IMG_7178.jpeg

I do have something completely original in mind. It means I’ll have to actually test and sample things, which I’m not terribly patient with, but if it works, it’ll be good.

TastyReuben it's luncheon meat or the plant-based alternative, Spam® is simply a brand name, but yes!
caseydog why yes I do remember that
Herbaceous why not try the plant-based options? I know now that I've seen them, I will be looking for them
And Tofu, I just love, it's not easy to come by here in Cowboyville Arizona and no one else I know likes Tofu, or plant-based foods - I do 🙋‍♀️ - if I didn't like meat so much aka BACON, I could go vegetarian/pescatarian really - I love veggies, always have. My Mother had a heck a time getting my sister to eat vegetables, I'd sneak hers off her plate for her and eat them quick before Mom saw anything - you're welcome.

Just looking at SPAM, the color and consistency, the first thing that springs to mind is a pork pie variation.
Looking at SPAM is revolting. I must have some deeply buried, negative childhood experience involving SPAM.
Is it true that SPAM is a hot ticket in Hawaii? If so, is it because SPAM was brought to Hawaii by the mainland military during WW2?

Looking at SPAM is revolting. I must have some deeply buried, negative childhood experience involving SPAM.
Is it true that SPAM is a hot ticket in Hawaii? If so, is it because SPAM was brought to Hawaii by the mainland military during WW2?

Hey EB, good to see you. Sorry about the bad memories of canned meat. So, no SPAM® gumbo? :laugh:

SPAM® is also big in South Korea, due to American soldiers during the Korean War. Look up Budae-jjigae. AKA: Korean Army Stew.

CD

Back
Top Bottom