The CookingBites recipe challenge: processed canned/tinned luncheon meat

Craig will not eat a big slab of tofu. In fact, he won't eat it at all unless I hide it in something.

This is tofu, though admittedly it won't sub for SPAM in this instance.
20231229_124741.jpg

Even my step father has been converted and he's a boarding school kid from 4 years old and unbelievable picky eater to the point where he won't eat something if he sees green in his food, he'll claim its a leek and even when shown the ingredients list and that it is parsley he'll still feed it to the dog rather than eat it. But since his stay in Australia during covid, he'll now eat tofu and actually chooses it when out.

Plus you don't have to make the recipe, and you could always just make it for you, or a neighbour.

Plus I'm just trying to remind all members, not just you, that there is another option.

This is tofu, though admittedly it won't sub for SPAM in this instance.
View attachment 108658

Even my step father has been converted and he's a boarding school kid from 4 years old and unbelievable picky eater to the point where he won't eat something if he sees green in his food, he'll claim its a leek and even when shown the ingredients list and that it is parsley he'll still feed it to the dog rather than eat it. But since his stay in Australia during covid, he'll now eat tofu and actually chooses it when out.

Plus you don't have to make the recipe, and you could always just make it for you, or a neighbour.

Plus I'm just trying to remind all members, not just you, that there is another option.
I know it wasn't just directed at me.

We live in an age restricted community and, although 1 neighbor eats a limited animal protein diet, she won't touch tofu either, and neither will the others, who are either Latin or black. We are BY FAR the most adventurous eaters on our half of the street.

I know it wasn't just directed at me.

We live in an age restricted community and, although 1 neighbor eats a limited animal protein diet, she won't touch tofu either, and neither will the others, who are either Latin or black. We are BY FAR the most adventurous eaters on our half of the street.
One of the main issues I see is that people seem to think tofu should be drained, if you're lucky, put on a plate and served. I've had that done to me at a Christmas meal, the entire slab, cold and in that case, not drained, just served on a plate. The plate was swimming in inedible fluid. The tofu wasn't even heated through.

But if I was to take an egg,
20231231_142557.jpg
remove it from its container, drain off the clearish, white fluid and plonk the bit with a little flavour on a plate as is, people would question me and my sanity.
20231231_142644.jpg
20231231_142857.jpg

(Looking at the portion, one clearly wasn't enough. )
20231231_142650.jpg

(Let's discard this bit, it doesn't taste of anything.)

How many would eat those egg yolks served as is, raw, with some cooked veg and nothing else? That's your protein, what else is needed?
20231231_142857.jpg

Yet people think that's how tofu is served... even you said that above and frankly, I wouldn't eat tofu served that way either...

I guess I have at least changed the diets of my mother (75 yrs old) and my step father (82 years old) who both now eat tofu occasionally. Plus my sister has been eating tofu for the last 5 years (my previous visit to the UK) and tempeh since our visit in October. My sister doesn't actually buy meat or fish at all though will eat it occasionally when out.

So if spam doesn't take anyone's fancy, I'm just saying, there's 3 weeks to locate a recipe and try a tofu alternative instead.

Right off to write up this recipe of mine..... hubby liked it, I found it a bit salty, but I hate salt, so that's expected. And we've got more for tomorrow.

So... my entry. I make no claims on authenticity! :laugh: the tofu is the top layer by the way.

View attachment 108680

Recipe - Vegan Spam Musubi

Well, it looks pretty correct. Your vegan "SPAM" is a little on the thick side, visually. But, only you know what it tastes like. Saltiness aside, does it taste good?

BTW, due to my sodium restricted diet, I'm not going to be able to eat a large amount of what I make for this challenge, without my kidneys waving a white flag. But, I can taste my entries -- and give the rest to the neighbor's dog. :laugh: My mom's dog is already too fat, so she's on a special diet, too.

CD

Well, it looks pretty correct. Your vegan "SPAM" is a little on the thick side, visually. But, only you know what it tastes like. Saltiness aside, does it taste good?

BTW, due to my sodium restricted diet, I'm not going to be able to eat a large amount of what I make for this challenge, without my kidneys waving a white flag. But, I can taste my entries -- and give the rest to the neighbor's dog. :laugh: My mom's dog is already too fat, so she's on a special diet, too.

CD
The laugh is regarding the dog, not your diet. But I know the problems. Mine aren't kidney related but I do have massive potassium sodium balance issues and have to be careful. I also hate salt from having to use it instead of toothpaste as a kid.

Tastewise I though it needed work, but I'm missing herbs and spices, what I call flavour!
Yes, it was a tad thick, but I'm guessing the blogger's tofu isn't the same thickness mine is. If I cut it into 4, I get that thickness, if I cut it into 6, it would probably be OK, but then it would have been 12 servings not 8... and each would be closer to under 1cm thick, so about ¼ inch maybe.

Yet people think that's how tofu is served... even you said that above and frankly, I wouldn't eat tofu served that way either...

Actually, no I did not! I wrote it wouldn't be touched. I didn't write the big slab hadn't been marinated, fried or other. You are assuming...

Last edited:
One of the main issues I see is that people seem to think tofu should be drained, if you're lucky, put on a plate and served. I've had that done to me at a Christmas meal, the entire slab, cold and in that case, not drained, just served on a plate. The plate was swimming in inedible fluid. The tofu wasn't even heated through.

But if I was to take an egg,
View attachment 108666
remove it from its container, drain off the clearish, white fluid and plonk the bit with a little flavour on a plate as is, people would question me and my sanity.
View attachment 108667View attachment 108668
(Looking at the portion, one clearly wasn't enough. )
View attachment 108669
(Let's discard this bit, it doesn't taste of anything.)

How many would eat those egg yolks served as is, raw, with some cooked veg and nothing else? That's your protein, what else is needed?
View attachment 108668

I guess I have at least changed the diets of my mother (75 yrs old) and my step father (82 years old) who both now eat tofu occasionally. Plus my sister has been eating tofu for the last 5 years (my previous visit to the UK) and tempeh since our visit in October. My sister doesn't actually buy meat or fish at all though will eat it occasionally when out.

So if spam doesn't take anyone's fancy, I'm just saying, there's 3 weeks to locate a recipe and try a tofu alternative instead.

Right off to write up this recipe of mine..... hubby liked it, I found it a bit salty, but I hate salt, so that's expected. And we've got more for tomorrow.
I liken raw, unseasoned tofu to serving someone a piece of boiled, unseasoned chicken breast. Edible? Sure, technically. Tasty? Nope. Season your tofu!

For the record, I have recently eaten raw tofu chopped up into cubes, mixed with a creamy dressing, and used as sandwich filling. But the tofu had been pressed and the dressing was flavourful, so it was yummy.

I’m not sure about making a tofu alternative to spam. As I said, I can’t stand spam (I find the smell incredibly off-putting) so I’d have to make sure it isn’t too similar to spam, which would seem to be defeating the purpose!

Fun fact: the word “SPAM” is an portmanteau of “spiced ham”.

Here’s my first one:

Recipe - “Speviled” Eggs (SPAM-deviled eggs)

Some pics along the way:
IMG_7209.jpeg

IMG_7210.jpeg

I mooshed all this together with a fork and the back of a wooden spoon (just like I do when I’m making refried beans).

IMG_7211.jpeg

The finished product:

The verdict:
At MrsT’s request, these will never be made again. I will not post her reaction since this is a family forum. :laugh:

I personally think they’re fine, as it’s just a fairly standard deviled egg recipe with some SPAM smashed into it (which, BTW, really allows you to overstuff those eggs - it’s a great extender).

If I were to make these again (which I have been instructed I will never, ever do), I’d leave the sugar out, as the SPAM is rather sweet on its own. I usually add sugar (or sweet pickle juice) to my deviled eggs to cut the vinegar bite for MrsT, but I think these are a little on the sweet side.

Here’s my first one:

Recipe - “Speviled” Eggs (SPAM-deviled eggs)

Some pics along the way:
View attachment 108713

View attachment 108714
I mooshed all this together with a fork and the back of a wooden spoon (just like I do when I’m making refried beans).

View attachment 108715

The finished product:

The verdict:
At MrsT’s request, these will never be made again. I will not post her reaction since this is a family forum. :laugh:

I personally think they’re fine, as it’s just a fairly standard deviled egg recipe with some SPAM smashed into it (which, BTW, really allows you to overstuff those eggs - it’s a great extender).

If I were to make these again (which I have been instructed I will never, ever do), I’d leave the sugar out, as the SPAM is rather sweet on its own. I usually add sugar (or sweet pickle juice) to my deviled eggs to cut the vinegar bite for MrsT, but I think these are a little on the sweet side.

I would have tossed the diced SPAM® into a skillet to let some Maillard reaction work on them.

CD

Back
Top Bottom