The CookingBites recipe challenge: processed canned/tinned luncheon meat

Not available over here (unless you're prepared to spend $15 on a tin in an expensive delicatessen) so unfortunately, I'll sit this one out. We used to buy Spam fritters from the Chip Shop when I was a kid, but that was over 50 years ago.

I already have at least two entries in mind.

I almost never eat SPAM® now, but I did as a kid, and loved it. But, I'm thinking this Challenge has serious fun potential (serious fun is an oxymoron, isn't it).

CD

I’m looking forward to it. I think I’m doing my first one tonight, and another one NYD.

SPAM-a-lam-a-ding-dong!
IMG_7181.jpeg

Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is processed canned/tinned luncheon meat* and kaneohegirlinaz is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** which uses a processed canned/tinned luncheon meat product, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Friday 19th January UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* consists of products such as SPAM®️, Treet®️, and the like, as well a vegan alternatives like Omni™️, and tofu-derived vegan versions.
** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.
I don't cook out of cans so I will wait for the next one. Spam has been popular in Hawaii since WWII. It is even served in restaurants. Not popular with me, though.

I’m afraid I’ll have to sit this one out. I do not like ham, and I absolutely cannot stand SPAM. Just the smell makes me want to retch.

I am very curious to see how on earth TastyReuben manages to put spam into a cocktail.

And I'll skip this one.

Looking at SPAM is revolting. I must have some deeply buried, negative childhood experience involving SPAM.
Is it true that SPAM is a hot ticket in Hawaii? If so, is it because SPAM was brought to Hawaii by the mainland military during WW2?

Not available over here (unless you're prepared to spend $15 on a tin in an expensive delicatessen) so unfortunately, I'll sit this one out. We used to buy Spam fritters from the Chip Shop when I was a kid, but that was over 50 years ago.

I don't cook out of cans so I will wait for the next one. Spam has been popular in Hawaii since WWII. It is even served in restaurants. Not popular with me, though.

Just as a thought to those above and anyone else who doesn't like SPAM who hasn't said they'll sit it out, there is no reason (or rule) that excludes you from trying either a vegan version of SPAM (yeah I'm not trying the fake meats either) or using tofu* as an alternative. It is the whole idea of the challenge and it isn't always going to be easy. It spud be nice to see more members try. Plus next month is Veganuary month.

*tofu, tempeh & yuba are not fake meats but have existed alongside meat for hundreds/thousands of years in Asia and are minimally processed.

Ok, I’m pooped from being out from 10:30AM to 4:30PM, and then putting away $25,712 in groceries (that’s what it felt like, anyway), so no SPAM tonight, but it’s coming.

Then it’s on point, because SPAM is a very salty meat product! :laugh: 🧂
I was wondering when I saw your purchase list and it said SPAM and 25% reduced salt.

This has a slightly sweet rice with it...

20231231_112307.jpg

Now to try it for lunch and see what needs amending to our tastes. I have already omitted the extra salt the recipe called for on top of the ¼ cup of soy sauce and ¼ cup of vegan fysh sauce....

Just as a thought to those above and anyone else who doesn't like SPAM who hasn't said they'll sit it out, there is no reason (or rule) that excludes you from trying either a vegan version of SPAM (yeah I'm not trying the fake meats either) or using tofu* as an alternative. It is the whole idea of the challenge and it isn't always going to be easy. It spud be nice to see more members try. Plus next month is Veganuary month.

*tofu, tempeh & yuba are not fake meats but have existed alongside meat for hundreds/thousands of years in Asia and are minimally processed.
Craig will not eat a big slab of tofu. In fact, he won't eat it at all unless I hide it in something.

Back
Top Bottom