The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Sesame Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks - I found those sources too - but no recipe is included. Strange isn't it? Its usual to Google a recipe and find it. Perhaps, given the ridiculous prices it sells for, they don't want us to know how easy it is to make.

I think what I have made will be OK. We will see. The alternative would be to toast the seeds first, which I can also try out.
Reading further on the first of those references you get this statement which gives quite a few clues.

This flour is made with raw GM Free sesame seeds which have been cold-pressed and milled into a fine powder.
  1. Raw equates to, well raw, not toasted
  2. cold pressed equates to oil extraction (note that it does not have to be cold pressed, just pressed. Heat can be used in the same manner as with olives, sunflower seeds etc)
  3. Then milled into a fine powder, so dried and ground.
That gives us what had happened to produce sesame seed flour from seed.

Last edited:
And from this particularly painful to read patent we get the same.. (my bold to highlight the process).

It i is to be particularly jnoted that where the oil is extracted from the uncooked seed as heretofore andutilized as a flavoring and perfumed extract the latternotfo'nly deteriorates-within a. few months but, the pulp of theseedwas valueless and could'not'be utilized readily for any known purposegj .However I have discovered that by heating andfcooking the pulp to a suflicient extent the same can advantageously be ground and.

used as a, nutritious and edible flour, which together withthe oil content having: a very desirable and distinctive flavor and aroma renders'the resulting product of great value

So
  1. Extract the oil from the seed
  2. Take the pulp and heat/cook it
  3. Cool it then grind it.

I've just tried to make black tahini but it is a little grainy.I've some more to experiment with alter. For now it is a beautiful sunny day so I'm off to enjoy the sunshine.

And from this particularly painful to read patent we get the same.. (my bold to highlight the process).

So
  1. Extract the oil from the seed
  2. Take the pulp and heat/cook it
  3. Cool it then grind it.

I think you might be over complicating this. You can make nut flours in the food processor at home without making nut butters. You just have to start with toasted frozen nuts and process gently. I can't imagine sesame seeds would be any different. Unfortunately, I don't have any in quantity right now so can't give it a try. You obviously aren't going to get homemade flours from nuts that can match commercially prepared flours, but you can get something useable. I've made almond flour and either pecan or walnut (can't remember) flour before. They were actually more like meal, but were still serviceable for the recipe I was using at the time.

Last edited:
I think you might be over complicating this. You can make nut flours in the food processor at home without making nut butters
You missed my point. Technically you're not making a nut or seed flour but ground nuts/ground seeds unless you reduce the oil quantity of the nut/seed first. And sesame seeds have one of the highest oil quantities at 40% oil.

You missed my point. Technically you're not making a nut or seed flour but ground nuts/ground seeds unless you reduce the oil quantity of the nut/seed first. And sesame seeds have one of the highest oil quantities at 40% oil.

I think @medtran49 recognises that. As she says:
I've made almond flour and either pecan or walnut (can't remember) flour before. They were actually more like meal, but were still serviceable for the recipe I was using at the time.

As she says 'they were more like meal'. I suppose it depends what you are going to use the 'flour' for. I must say that the flour I made doesn't look much different from the images of the commercially made product. I would buy some to compare but its stupidly expensive and I don't think I'm likely to use it that much.

Can we please extend this another week since not many entries have been posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom