The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomato ketchup

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:05 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is tomato ketchup* and TastyReuben is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** which uses tomato ketchup, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Thursday 7th March UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* homemade and store-bought tomato ketchups are both eligible to use, including flavored varieties such a hot ketchup and curry ketchup. Homemade tomato ketchups can be submitted as a standalone entry.
** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

A few years ago, I heard a fascinating program on the radio (probably NPR) about the history of ketchup, and all the different ways it can be used - several noted chefs talked about how it’s the perfect balance of sweet, sour, and umami, and is something of a secret weapon/Swiss army knife in the kitchen.

Let’s see what the fine folks here can do to show off ketchup as more than just a French fry dipper.

Tricky one as I do not use ketchup at all...
Maybe I should delve into history as well and that should allow me to use ketjap, sort of according to wikipedia

Ketchup - Wikipedia

Malay theory​

Ketchup may have entered the English language from the Malay word kicap (pronounced [kitʃap], sometimes spelled kecap or ketjap). Originally meaning 'soy sauce', the word itself derives from the Chinese terms.[33]

5c88bda22c8eebd8b25d15df880271cf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom