The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomato ketchup

The description says tomato ketchup, so I assume this is not allowed:
51ORPawATpL.jpg

I've made ketjap Manis, from Indonesia, and Banana Ketchup, from the Philippines. The first would not qualify because there's no tomato in it; the second uses tomato ketchup, so- would it be okay, TR?
I know its off topic, but how did you make ketjap manis... I've run out and am currently using soy and molasses.

Ah, the Canadian ketchup wars…it seems so long ago, but like only yesterday…I was a mere footsoldier, but the things I saw…
“The fighting was fiercest just outside Leamington. Harrow…Kingsville…yes, they were bad, but nothing like L’ton…

“If I close my eyes, I can still smell the acrid stench of burning tomatoes and melted plastic squeeze bottles, making their own frontal assault on my nostrils, even as I drew nearer the old factory. Was there a chance Gerald was still alive? Who knew, but I did know one thing - I owed it to him to find out. He’d have done the same for me.

“Suddenly, there I was, just outside the old employee entrance…an entrance Gerald and I had used for years, churning out bottle after bottle of ‘the red stuff’ as we called it - Gerald in charge of sticking the labels on, and me screwing on the caps. It wasn’t glamorous, but it was good honest work…while it lasted…

“That’s when I saw him, just inside the door, covered in blood from god knows how many wounds.

“Gerald, how bad is it?” I asked, not really wanting to know. I cradled his head and joked, “Is that your blood or the other guy’s?” Lame, but I was lost.

“It’s worse than that, Gordie,” he said, “It’s not blood…it’s HEINZ!!! NOOOOOO!!!!”

“The fighting was fiercest just outside Leamington. Harrow…Kingsville…yes, they were bad, but nothing like L’ton…

“If I close my eyes, I can still smell the acrid stench of burning tomatoes and melted plastic squeeze bottles, making their own frontal assault on my nostrils, even as I drew nearer the old factory. Was there a chance Gerald was still alive? Who knew, but I did know one thing - I owed it to him to find out. He’d have done the same for me.

“Suddenly, there I was, just outside the old employee entrance…an entrance Gerald and I had used for years, churning out bottle after bottle of ‘the red stuff’ as we called it - Gerald in charge of sticking the labels on, and me screwing on the caps. It wasn’t glamorous, but it was good honest work…while it lasted…

“That’s when I saw him, just inside the door, covered in blood from god knows how many wounds.

“Gerald, how bad is it?” I asked, not really wanting to know. I cradled his head and joked, “Is that your blood or the other guy’s?” Lame, but I was lost.

“It’s worse than that, Gordie,” he said, “It’s not blood…it’s HEINZ!!! NOOOOOO!!!!”
You really missed your calling as a writer!

Ketchup fact:
Up here, many people have been boycotting Heinz because they pulled their decades old manufacturing facility from Tillsonburg, Ontario that used Canadian grown tomatoes and jobs. People have switched to French's ketchup which is made in Canada with local grown tomatoes. It's very close in flavour..

The description says tomato ketchup, so I assume this is not allowed:
I've bought other "Baron" products (their hot sauce is phenomenal). They hail from St Lucia, in the Caribbean. My recipe came from the Phillipines, where they slather the stuff on spaghetti; and it contains ketchup. However, I'm not sure whether all Phillipine recipes use ketchup; I'll have to take a look. :D

Back
Top Bottom