The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yorky, that might be because if her hair is like mine, after using a shampoo for a while the hair decides it no longer likes it. I have four I rotate, depending on how my hair is getting along with the shampoo. I've also relegated a couple to cleaning duty. Did you know that shampoo cleans soap scum off fiberglass shower walls and tubs? Just be sure to rinse thoroughly!

Yorky, that might be because if her hair is like mine, after using a shampoo for a while the hair decides it no longer likes it. I have four I rotate, depending on how my hair is getting along with the shampoo. I've also relegated a couple to cleaning duty. Did you know that shampoo cleans soap scum off fiberglass shower walls and tubs? Just be sure to rinse thoroughly!

She reckons her hair is falling out because she finds it in the shower. Another plan she has is to wash her hair periodically in lime juice. God knows who told her that.

We don't have fibreglass stuff here (or didn't when I built) so our bathrooms are just tiles:

http://freebeerforyorky.com/public_html/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=68

Cute house, Yorky! It might work on the tiles. We had those in our first house, and I hated cleaning them. (Well, I hate cleaning, period.) I'd end up using a scrub brush and Tide powdered laundry detergent thinned with bleach and water. Hated the grout between tiles - no matter how often I cleaned them, mold would still grow there. The builder's guy probably didn't seal them.

Tell your wife to start taking a Vitamin E capsule every day - about 200 iu, if she can find them. If she can only find 400 iu, one every other day. I started on them when I noticed my hair was falling out, and it slowed down the loss rate to what I had when I was younger - as in, just a few instead of a brush-full.

She reckons her hair is falling out because she finds it in the shower. Another plan she has is to wash her hair periodically in lime juice. God knows who told her that.

We don't have fibreglass stuff here (or didn't when I built) so our bathrooms are just tiles:

http://freebeerforyorky.com/public_html/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=68

that's better than our 'bathroom' which also has no fibreglass stuff in it either. the bathroom is an addition put on in 1999.
Look at the floor... it's cold...

bathroom 1.jpg bathroom 3.jpg bathroom 4.jpg bathroom 2.jpg

It does however have a lot of sunlight and gets warm even in winter with the glass roof and wall... There's a door behind the shower that leads to the outside world... and another to the left in picture 2 that leads to the master bedroom... the master bedroom has another door which leads to the sitting room... picture 3 shows the sun room as well... 2 walls of glass and gets exceptionally hot, and also has another door which leads to the sitting room. You can run an entire circuit around the house... kids love it. adults get really conscious about walking through your bedroom to get to the bathroom but the light switch for the sunroom (only an issue at night I appreciate) is at the wrong end and around here, when its dark, it is totally dark...

My description of the bathroom to my husband before we moved in was basic. I will add that with a white shower curtain it is a lot lighter in there. And the shower is wonderful, powerful and very hot! shame it runs on tank water which is our only drinking water though!

That's a good question. this is Australia and the BOM. I honestly have no idea. I guess it is probably ground because things are often frozen at ground level... but is it ground level at the Airport, I suspect it is and that simply means it is usually colder here. plus my thermometer which matches the AP and our car (incidentally) is in a sheltered location rather than where the pipes are which is much more exposed and frequently white when the area around the house isn't. I know it is cold when the pond is frozen over and the pond is a meter from the veranda if that.

-4C is cold enough to freeze the automated waterer's water totally solid... and also to put a layer of ice on the water inside the chook house which is locked up completely and has a very thick wooden floor. It was frozen again this morning, I expect it will be again tonight. The place usually has a good hoar frost across everything and I can guage how cold it is by simply seeing how far up the mountainside the frost comes. By the end of next week we are due to be back to Zero overnight... I've another night of -4C, then three or four at -3C, then -2C and so on, but it will all change... the only thing I can say is that it is sunny and cold, but the clothes still come in dry off the washing line despite the temp not getting into double figures here today!

right I need to do a log run and its going dark. I'm late. I usualy do it first thing in the morning, but other matters got in the way today.
If the watering system(pump?) is in an enclosed building, put an old fashioned filament bulb(min 60W) in and leave it on at night.

It'll stop it freezing.

Cute house, Yorky! It might work on the tiles. We had those in our first house, and I hated cleaning them. (Well, I hate cleaning, period.) I'd end up using a scrub brush and Tide powdered laundry detergent thinned with bleach and water. Hated the grout between tiles - no matter how often I cleaned them, mold would still grow there. The builder's guy probably didn't seal them.

Tell your wife to start taking a Vitamin E capsule every day - about 200 iu, if she can find them. If she can only find 400 iu, one every other day. I started on them when I noticed my hair was falling out, and it slowed down the loss rate to what I had when I was younger - as in, just a few instead of a brush-full.
When you say Tide, you mean the washing powder. Gone here.

We had four faulty lights outside the house from a storm on Monday. The sparks (3) arrived this afternoon and located the problem (one fitting was shorting out all the others). They disconnected the offending cable (to sort another day), replaced a double fluorescent with a new LED light fitting in the car port, and installed a new twin three pin socket on the stoep. About 90 minutes work in total.

Cost me 9 quid!

[Edit: Not including the fittings - I bought all those on Tuesday]

I spoke too soon. The fitting which was shorting out the rest required a portion of the drive digging up to retrieve the offending cable then all had to be replaced and the drive repaired. And a major renewal of cables to prevent it happening again.

This visit was 40 quid!

If the watering system(pump?) is in an enclosed building, put an old fashioned filament bulb(min 60W) in and leave it on at night.

It'll stop it freezing.
It's under the house, and not enclosed. It is also not the end that is freezing (ironically)...
it is the other end of the pipe around the barn and the water tank where the pipe is almost on the surface and happens to be metal!

When you say Tide, you mean the washing powder. Gone here.
Most powders are gone here, too. I have, fortunately, found one I do like. We have a Bosch front-load washer that was leaving almost-greasy flakes of residue on the wash. The customer assistance person I got when I called told me how to clean out the washer (Oxy powder with as hot of water you can get, run the washer empty - then repeat) and said to use a reduced measure of HE (High Efficiency) powdered detergent. No problems with flaking ever since, and no soap residue either.

Most powders are gone here, too. I have, fortunately, found one I do like. We have a Bosch front-load washer that was leaving almost-greasy flakes of residue on the wash. The customer assistance person I got when I called told me how to clean out the washer (Oxy powder with as hot of water you can get, run the washer empty - then repeat) and said to use a reduced measure of HE (High Efficiency) powdered detergent. No problems with flaking ever since, and no soap residue either.
More suprised that "Tide" is still available.

Full cycle on highest temperature, with no load or soap, once every three months is recommened.

I have a top load washer and just use liquid detergent.

I have a front loader Bosch machine which is meant to have only powder in the drawer, but since no-one sells the balls to but the detergent in and they don't come with the container, I just pour the liquid into the top of the drawer, watching it run out as I do so and leave it at that. Provided I don't overfill the washing machine, and remember to up the spin cycle to 1200rpm rather than leave it on the default 800rpm I get clean clothes that dry in the winter months if it is sunny and in the summer months are dry inside 30-60 minutes on the line!

I know the house really is warmer with stove lit 24/7 and is significantly warmer than last winter, but boy am I cold today.... must get up and try doing something active but I need to be online doing other things and I'm freezing!

I've got a house to get clean and chicks have ot be moved out on the morning of the 13th... we have a house inspection that day and I can't afford to have them in the house. But it's too cold for them to be outside and they are too young for them to be in the chicken coop with the other chooks. So they have to stay indoor in the sitting room until the morning of the 13th, then they get moved to the studio and the fire lit there (along with the heater on) and I use my office there for the day until after the inspection is over. Only problem is that their 'cage' is a converted wardrobe and I have had to move furniture around in the house which will all need putting back in the morning, then that evening moving back because the stove in the studio won't burn overnight whereas the stove in the sitting room does. Right I think it is time for some hot chocolate and some choc chip scones to get warm again... then I am off to try to work out how to use a Turkish drop Spindle... and I'll see if the sunroom has warmed up yet to at least siitting room temperature and move into some sunshine for a little bit of vitamin D....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom