The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. And I'm also quite sure I'll smoke a cigarette first or then. I think it's normal. A friend of mine has stopped to smoke successfully (no vape cigarette)...but she eats a lot now and gets fat.
I hope this is only temporary.

The more you think about it the worse it gets. If you had a routine which involved them, change it, stop thinking about them.

The more you think about it the worse it gets. If you had a routine which involved them, change it, stop thinking about them.

Routine is the real problem. After the coffee, cigarette. After a glass of wine or at the end of lunch, cigarette. Or with colleagues and friends while chatting, cigarettes. And my hubby smokes.
Crossed fingers!

Routine is the real problem. After the coffee, cigarette. After a glass of wine or at the end of lunch, cigarette. Or with colleagues and friends while chatting, cigarettes. And my hubby smokes.
Crossed fingers!

The key to this may be to get hubby to stop! I used nicotine inhalers (this was before vaping was invented). My son has just given up by using vaping so it could be worth having a vape cigarette in your handbag for emergencies. Its ridiculously difficult. It really is. Drinking alcohol was always my weak moment. But as @The Velvet Curtain says, the benefits arrive quite soon.

Why no spices and garlic @Elawin ? I had ALL my top teeth removed a few years ago and wasn't given that advice. Indeed I ate exactly what I wanted. Garlic after all has antibiotic properties. I hasten to add that this was part of the process for inserting dental implants (at great expense).
Garlic is a blood thinner, like aspirin or Warfarin, and it was necessary for my blood to clot while the gum healed. 24 hours later, I was on torture treatment (salt water) to wash the clot away, but was still told not to use garlic until it was completely healed. In the hospital where I worked, people were always told not to eat garlic for several days before or after routine surgery; and don't forget, I do like garlic :D. Because garlic is a natural blood thinner, nutritionists usually advise not to eat more than four cloves a garlic a day, and it is one reason why you should not give large amounts of garlic to dogs, especially greyhounds, whose blood is different to that of "normal" dogs.

Garlic is a blood thinner, like aspirin or Warfarin, and it was necessary for my blood to clot while the gum healed. 24 hours later, I was on torture treatment (salt water) to wash the clot away, but was still told not to use garlic until it was completely healed. In the hospital where I worked, people were always told not to eat garlic for several days before or after routine surgery; and don't forget, I do like garlic :D. Because garlic is a natural blood thinner, nutritionists usually advise not to eat more than four cloves a garlic a day, and it is one reason why you should not give large amounts of garlic to dogs, especially greyhounds, whose blood is different to that of "normal" dogs.

I understand that Manchester terriers have a similar blood issue re garlic. I think they are sort of related to Greyhounds (or, at least whippets). I never thought about the blood thinning issue with garlic regarding humans. Is it still true if the garlic is well cooked?

:headshake:only willpower...
Good luck to you, @MypinchofItaly. Stay strong and keep up with it. You can do this! It's better to quit on your own terms than have quitting dictated by any health scare. My Mom didn't quit until she had a heart attack at age 60. Thankfully, she lived a long and healthy life afterwards, but it sure was scary when it happened.

I got myself a new toy this week - a 3 1/2 quart Staub Braiser showed up on my porch yesterday. After cooking with Le Creuset for decades, my one Staub Cocottte had me switch allegiances. I'll be making tonight's macaroni-and-cheese in it - LOTS of mac-and-cheese. :D Leftovers for both later this week and the freezer, maybe.

20170930_154208.jpg

I understand that Manchester terriers have a similar blood issue re garlic. I think they are sort of related to Greyhounds (or, at least whippets). I never thought about the blood thinning issue with garlic regarding humans. Is it still true if the garlic is well cooked?

I would have thought so. I don't add more than four cloves of garlic per person/serving to anything I cook, and the only garlic I eat raw these days are the odd little bits left on the knife or chopping board :laugh:

Good luck to you, @MypinchofItaly. Stay strong and keep up with it. You can do this! It's better to quit on your own terms than have quitting dictated by any health scare. My Mom didn't quit until she had a heart attack at age 60. Thankfully, she lived a long and healthy life afterwards, but it sure was scary when it happened.

Lovely @Lynne Guinne, thank you for your support :)....I'm doing a great effort but I want to stop smoking. I also know that maybe a cigarette will come by these parts....only one, I sweat!

Never. I read the book on smoking by Allen Carr, an American. He dealt with the psychology of smoking, the lies and misconceptions put about, and the truth about the addiction. By the time I finished the book I never wanted to inhale smoke again, and had no withdawal symptoms.

https://www.amazon.com/facile-smettere-fumare-farlo-Italian-ebook/dp/B0089WYJ8A/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1506891277&sr=1-1&refinements=p_lbr_one_browse-bin:Allen+Carr

Thank you @The Velvet Curtain ! Is very useful your experience..but having my husband which smokes, is much more complicated. He is very careful, smokes in the terrace and not inside home, but the smell is however in the air and on his clothes. Maybe I'll smoke a T-shirt! :D

Last edited:
All of the veggies I needed to make some giardiniera have been on sale in the past week, so today I got them all together and made a couple of jars worth. I also scored some very nice Meyer lemons, so I made a small batch of lemony garlic cauliflower. I now have four jars of various sizes tucked into the refrigerator for future use.

20171002_221032.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom