The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight I'll have my little gift from a TV channel ... it will transmit (and I will not lose even a minute) a movie that I love very much: "the lives of others". It is a German film of 2006, winner of an Oscar prize, set in East Berlin, talks about the Stasi and its spies. A true masterpiece.
Impressive as the actor in the film really lived in his real life, a similar situation.
I have pop corn, wool blanket and a beer. That's my real New Year's Eve!

Tonight I'll have my little gift from a TV channel ... it will transmit (and I will not lose even a minute) a movie that I love very much: "the lives of others". It is a German film of 2006, winner of an Oscar prize, set in East Berlin, talks about the Stasi and its spies. A true masterpiece.
Impressive as the actor in the film really lived in his real life, a similar situation.
I have pop corn, wool blanket and a beer. That's my real New Year's Eve!

I love movies, especially the oldies and classics. Will have to keep my eyes open for that one. Watched the Classic Movie Channel last night, but there was nothing interesting on. Watched Casablanca again, for the millionth time. Oh well. I have another bottle of champagne Maybe there's something on tonight.

Last edited:
I love movies, especially the oldies and classics. Will have to keep my eyes open for that one. Watched the Classic Movie Channel last night, but there was nothing interesting on. Watched Casablanca again, for the millionth time. Oh well. I have another bottle of champagne Maybe there's something on tonight.

Champagne? Oh dear, what a class! I'll be a little more basic tonight, but this beer has a great year
I'm a cinephile, I feed on cinema and popcorn.
If you have the opportunity to see the movie " the lives of others", watch it because it really deserves.
It will start shortly and I can not wait!

Me too! Will do. Popcorn and champagne pair so nicely together. I may do that tonight. Enjoy the movie.

I heard somebody on the radio talking about "accentuating the positive" and "taking the ball and running with it" yesterday. I had been under the (blissful) delusion that management consultant gibberish like this had died out in the late 1980s.

It's left me feeling nervous about going out in case I encounter hordes of people sporting mullets and wearing large shoulder pads.

I heard somebody on the radio talking about "accentuating the positive" and "taking the ball and running with it" yesterday. I had been under the (blissful) delusion that management consultant gibberish like this had died out in the late 1980s.

It's left me feeling nervous about going out in case I encounter hordes of people sporting mullets and wearing large shoulder pads.

The gibberish is alive and well :facepalm:

Some schools are still off so the roads are quiet and a bit spooky, also with people still being off it is very quiet in the office, the past couple of days I have had 6 maybe 7 phone calls, normally I get more than that in 1 hour! Peace is great, means I can crack on with little disturbance :thumbsup:

We're OK thanks. We are further north from it's track.

We are here:

typhoon pabuk.gif

My wife received this as a New Year's gift. Six bottles of fish sauce. I found it an odd gift.

abalone fish sauce s.jpg

Very sad news, our local Deli, the team who do the monthly cheeseclub shut down today :cry:

They told their staff on Thursday and close today. They want to focus on their other branch in a different town. The staff are so good, I hope they all land on their feet.:(:(:(:(:(

When DD was young, we used to get box seats literally right on the street located just before the bleacher seating where the networks televised the Orange Bowl parade. She was probably 4 or 5 when we started and we went until she hit the tweens and it wasn't cool to go anymore. I will never forget 1 year it was so cold we had to wear coats, hats, and mittens, and use blankets to keep warm, as well as coffee and hot chocolate in thermoses. Most years, you could wear short sleeves and be perfectly comfortable. Those floats are definitely something to see up close and personal, though I don't know if I would have been willing to brave "up north" cold weather to see them even back then.

My wife received this as a New Year's gift. Six bottles of fish sauce. I found it an odd gift.

View attachment 21634

Blimey! I remember you posting about the easy availability and sheer range of fish sauces in Thailand. Maybe the abalone type is special. But 6 bottles does seem a lot!

BTW - when I make a fish curry or prawn curry (Indian style) I often add a splash of fish sauce. You won't notice it as a distinct taste but it does add to the flavour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom