Tips and tricks

When frying eggs cover them with a lid, the tops then steam and they cook more evenly avoiding crispy edges and undercooked white around the yolk.

When cooking eggs with bubble and squeak - after frying the first side I then turn over the potatoes, make a couple of indentations into which I crack the eggs, then cover the pan until the eggs are cooked.

bubblesqueek.jpg

They were accompanied by a barbecued pork steak in a green pepper/yoghurt sauce.

I hate peeling garlic. I read a tip on the net to microwave the whole head for 20 seconds and the peel just falls off. I was a little sceptical so I nuked a head for only 15 seconds and the tip was correct. The skin just fell off. The problem was that the cloves were partly cooked and soggy!

Back to peeling garlic the old way I guess.

I hate peeling garlic. I read a tip on the net to microwave the whole head for 20 seconds and the peel just falls off. I was a little sceptical so I nuked a head for only 15 seconds and the tip was correct. The skin just fell off. The problem was that the cloves were partly cooked and soggy!

Back to peeling garlic the old way I guess.

Garlic in the microwave...Oh my gosh

Before chopping chillies, lightly oil your fingertips. This makes washing your hands afterwards a more thorough experience in terms of getting rid of that lingering chilli state!

Also, if a dish is too spicy add either sugar or tomatoes; this will act to tone it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before chopping chillies, lightly oil your fingertips. This makes washing your hands afterwards a more thorough experience in terms of getting rid of that lingering chilli state!

Also, if a dish is too spicy add either sugar or tomatoes; this will act to tone it down.
I always wear gloves when dealing with jalapeños.

If buying packets of duck breasts, here's how to ensure you get a crispy skin (requires some thinking ahead)!

I prefer to take the plastic off of it the night before (but it might work done early on in the day if eating it in the evening). Ensure both breasts are skins side up and mop up any wetness on the skin with a kitchen paper towel. Exposing them this way (inside the fridge) acts like a drying effect.

Before frying it (on a low heat, starting them off skin side down in a cold pan) I like to lightly criss cross the top of the skin.

Before getting the juice from a citrus fruit, roll the fruit around on a work surface. This helps to loosen it up inside, making more juice available.

When grating the zest, get the stuck remnants out of the grater by using a toothbrush.

To prevent bananas ripening too quickly, separate them. Its the shared stalk that helps to promote ripening.

If your apples are starting to be past their best, i.e. losing juice and crispness, I find that placing them in the fridge for a bit will bring them back to their former state!

Back
Top Bottom