Tips and tricks

The best way to peel garlic is within a silicone or neoprene tube. You just pop in a clove, rub it a bit, and the naked garlic pops out.

Do an online search for them. Cheap and easy.

You can even use the wrist of a dishwashing glove, but don't tell my wife why the dishes smell of garlic sometimes...:whistling:

If I'm cooking a dish that requires to be "stirred frequently", I leave my beer in the kitchen and every time I want a mouthful, it reminds me to stir the dish.
Quirky! If it's a stew (long simmering) do you wind up drunk before it's ready? :drink: :o_o:

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to peel garlic is within a silicone or neoprene tube. You just pop in a clove, rub it a bit, and the naked garlic pops out.

Do an online search for them. Cheap and easy.

You can even use the wrist of a dishwashing glove, but don't tell my wife why the dishes smell of garlic sometimes...:whistling:

I bought one of those once and it didn't work!

I was told that there is no need to peel a garlic clove before pressing it in the garlic crusher. Tried it - not decided that it makes much odds in terms of what's left behind in the press, i.e. seems to involve a little wastage beyond just the skin. Anyone else tried this method?

I was told that there is no need to peel a garlic clove before pressing it in the garlic crusher. Tried it - not decided that it makes much odds in terms of what's left behind in the press, i.e. seems to involve a little wastage beyond just the skin. Anyone else tried this method?
Yes - just cut clove in half and press it flesh side down. If you have the Rolls Royce of garlic presses (my review here: WMF Profi Garlic Press) it works a dream.

Yes - just cut clove in half and press it flesh side down. If you have the Rolls Royce of garlic presses (my review here: WMF Profi Garlic Press) it works a dream.
It's hard to see from that diagram what makes that garlic press special (aside from the quality metal). Does it do something over and above other garlic presses?

I stopped using a garlic press a long time ago. Just too "fiddly to clean" to quote morning glory, and using a knife to smash/peel the garlic, then a quick rock chop like a mad man does the trick.

I stopped using a garlic press a long time ago. Just too "fiddly to clean" to quote morning glory, and using a knife to smash/peel the garlic, then a quick rock chop like a mad man does the trick.
Yes I quite favour the smashing it with the side of a knife blade too. You can get garlic presses that have a facility to go between the holes once the garlic is pressed out. I have one but I still dislike washing it afterwards, as you say, still somewhat fiddly.

It's hard to see from that diagram what makes that garlic press special (aside from the quality metal). Does it do something over and above other garlic presses?

Its just a joy to use. The weight of it in your hand is delightful. Precision made and no wasted garlic. Super easy to clean (the top hinges out).

I do that too. I also grate it on a microplane.

I need urgent help! Does anyone know how to remove stains of roots of turmeric from hands? Oh my!, everything I touch now became yellow!!! I'm like Marge Simpson!! I had the idea to prepare risotto with turmeric ( for the happiness of my husband)..:cry:

Back
Top Bottom