Tips and tricks

With apologies if this is all obvious...

For moulded tortilla bowls - turn a muffin tin upside down and push tortillas gently between the cups then bake.

An ice cream scoop is useful in scooping out the seeds of squashes/marrows.

Last edited by a moderator:
So my first tip is to double sift flour when you want to incorporate as much air as possible in a cake.
I sift the flour into the bowl on the scales then I sift it again as I add it to the mixture.
If a recipe calls for just flour without the word "sifted", I sift it after I measure it. If it says "sifted flour within the recipe then I sift it once and measure it out.

If a recipe calls for just flour without the word "sifted", I sift it after I measure it. If it says "sifted flour within the recipe then I sift it once and measure it out.
Hi Addie and welcome to this great cookery forum! (I wonder if you remember me?)

Whilst on the topping of flour and tips - instead of weighing out the specific amount of flour needed onto the scales, I place the bag of flour on the scales and start tipping what I need into a bowl/pan and detracting the weight on the scales (saves washing!) So, if the bag of flour is 10 oz. and I need 2 oz. of flour, I set the scale for 8 oz and tip away until the scales show the bag of flour now contains 8 oz.

, I place the bag of flour on the scales and start tipping what I need into a bowl/pan and detracting the weight on the scales (saves washing!)
What sort of scales are you using? I have a simple digital scale - I place the mixing bowl on the scales, zero the counter and tip ingredients straight into the mixing bowl. The scales can be set to zero between adding each ingredient.

Hi Addie and welcome to this great cookery forum! (I wonder if you remember me?)

Whilst on the topping of flour and tips - instead of weighing out the specific amount of flour needed onto the scales, I place the bag of flour on the scales and start tipping what I need into a bowl/pan and detracting the weight on the scales (saves washing!) So, if the bag of flour is 10 oz. and I need 2 oz. of flour, I set the scale for 8 oz and tip away until the scales show the bag of flour now contains 8 oz.
My flour bags weigh 5 lbs. But great idea for small quantities.

What sort of scales are you using? I have a simple digital scale - I place the mixing bowl on the scales, zero the counter and tip ingredients straight into the mixing bowl. The scales can be set to zero between adding each ingredient.
Oh mine are the old fashioned balancing ones i.e. pre-digital and around about the time dinosaurs roamed....:whistling:

My flour bags weigh 5 lbs. But great idea for small quantities.
It works for other things too, e.g. a jar of honey etc. Speaking of which, if you don't need scales for the clear honey i.e. just a few tablespoons of it, rubbing a little oil over the inside of the tablespoon will enable the honey to easily leave it when tipping into the bowl.

Oh mine are the old fashioned balancing ones i.e. pre-digital and around about the time dinosaurs roamed....:whistling:
I simply don't have space for that type - I am very short of space in the kitchen! Mine tuck away nicely and are simple to use - a tad bigger than a paperback and slimmer.

Photo on 30-04-2017 at 17.50.jpg

I simply don't have space for that type - I am very short of space in the kitchen! Mine tuck away nicely and are simple to use - a tad bigger than a paperback and slimmer.

View attachment 6794
I have a small kitchen too - the scales take up only a small amount of space i.e. 8" x 6"

It works for other things too, e.g. a jar of honey etc. Speaking of which, if you don't need scales for the clear honey i.e. just a few tablespoons of it, rubbing a little oil over the inside of the tablespoon will enable the honey to easily leave it when tipping into the bowl.
I have measuring shot glasses for liquids.

I hardly ever use scales. Most foods are packed and weighed now so it's just a matter of 1/2, 1/3rd or 1/4 of the pack. No doubt when I finally open the breadmaker I shall need to get out and use these scales (which I've had for many, many years).

scales s.jpg

Likewise. But I put the sieve over the bowl before I zero the scales and sieve as I measure. I only sift once for pastry etc but for sponge cakes I'll sift it again into the mixture to add even more air.

Likewise. But I put the sieve over the bowl before I zero the scales and sieve as I measure. I only sift once for pastry etc but for sponge cakes I'll sift it again into the mixture to add even more air.
I saw something on TV recently where a Chef said that it was completely pointless to sieve flour these days, and that it dates from the days when there were creepy crawlies in the flour. Obviously this may apply nowadays if you decant your flour and store it in a barn or something. But if its used straight from the packet (unless it has lumps for some reason) there is no need to sieve. The chef said the idea that it made cakes lighter was a fallacy. I wish I could remember who it was...

I never do sieve flour (even for sponge cakes). But that is mainly because I'm lazy!

I thought sifting flour had to do with measurement. Something about density and volume.

Back
Top Bottom