What’s your favourite walk?

One of my favourite walks is from Lewes to Eastbourne, in Sussex. I did this walk many times in the 1980s and 1990s. Towards the end, the walk goes up and down along the Seven Sisters towards Beachy Head. Here's a photo of the Seven Sisters (courtesy of Paul Juler)

Seven Sisters pic 1 PJ May 2018.jpg

Recognise this place?

I know exactly where that is @Herbie … I walked it 35 years ago

I'll wait for @morning glory to respond, but I just wondered if you've hit on an idea for a new thread "Where Is This?" (as opposed to "What Is This?"). It would have to be global, otherwise it would be unfair to non-UK members, but it could be fun …?

@Herbie and @morning glory - that's put me on the spot.... I recognised it immediately - I had an almost identical photo from 1983 (but sadly no longer).

It's definitely in the Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate area - if pushed I'd say looking at North Foreland from Broadstairs.

Do I get any points for that?

@Herbie and @morning glory - that's put me on the spot.... I recognised it immediately - I had an almost identical photo from 1983 (but sadly no longer).

It's definitely in the Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate area - if pushed I'd say looking at North Foreland from Broadstairs.

Do I get any points for that?

Could well be...

Close! I think you get a point for that @Wandering Bob and an extra half a point for mentioning the North Foreland. It's nearer the South Foreland. It's St Margaret's at Cliffe looking down to the bay. It is my favourite place but I've not been for nearly two years now my parents have moved.

You can walk from there to Deal and beyond or the other way to Dover. Or swim to France if you fancy that! The bay is famous for being the place cross-channel swimmers start from and also for where the Royal family used to holiday (a few generations ago) it is also the spot where the cables cross to Europe. And, and...
Bleriot (near by)
Dunkirk evacuation
Rolls Royce
James Bond (Well, Flemming )
Peter Ustinov
Noel Coward
Marconi
Just to name a few. It's done a lot for a small village in Kent. Not bad, eh?

I think we need more canal photographs in this thread. @Lullabelle and @Herbie ….?

Here's one of mine taken in May. It's the Nantes-to-Brest canal just NW of Malestroit. It's one of my better photos - I was pleased with the dappled light on the towpath and the serendipitous appearance of the tractor in the field. A happy accident …

The Cut looking NW 04052018.JPG

The only thing I remember (vaguely) about canals is wandering (read staggering) around Amsterdam at 01:00 well pished. Canals have featured in my nightmares ever since.

Thanks @Herbie …..if that was "on the other side of the road" from me, I'd be walking or cycling on it every day too.

A well-maintained towpath, and it also looks like the canal meanders a bit (rather than being dead-straight) which just adds to the appeal.

Back
Top Bottom