What did you cook, eat or drink today (August 2018)?

Homemade pitas with Greek lamb and beef meatballs with tzatziki, plus spanikopita with homemade phyllo dough. That was interesting.

We were supposed to have dolmades and saganaki as well, but while I was in the middle of making dinner got a nasty little surprise. Our water was turned off because of a broken pipe in the neighborhood. So, I wasn't able to soak the grape leaves to get rid of brine/vinegar flavor, nor did I really want to basically start a fire in the house with the water off. BTW, water is still off almost 3 hours later when they told me 2 hours tops when I called.

2018-08-22 18.46.13.jpg
2018-08-22 18.33.07.jpg

BTW, water is still off almost 3 hours later when they told me 2 hours tops when I called.

Oh blimey! I hope it gets sorted.

home phyllo dough

You are indeed a brave person - and I want to know/see more about this. I have thought about trying it but felt that I could never, ever achieve that transparently thin dough. New thread perhaps?

The rest of the Greek meatballs, some more fresh pita, saganaki, and dolmades. Didn't take plate picture, but will take 1 of the dolmades in the pan. They came out much better than the ones we've bought out. I soaked the grape leaves 4 times, 2 in nearly boiling water, 2 in cold water so they didn't have that vinegary/citric acid taste.

Back
Top Bottom