What did you cook, eat or drink today (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackened pork Wellington. Another one to add the the list of "ideas not to attempt again".

served 2 s.jpg

What went wrong?

It was the "double cooking". Ended up overcooked.

I'm always weary of undercooking pork (or chicken) whereas beef should be "undercooked" (IMO). I may try the chicken again, Kiev or Cordon Bleu, but I'll give the pork a miss.

Yes it's very yummy alright, for my 40th a Tongan friend of my family did a suckling pig on a pole over wooden embers, that crackling was amazing, he turned it by hand for about 6 hrs. The islanders and Maoris know how to cook with fire alright.

Russ

Yum. “Pig on the spit” was another big part of my family life growing up. I’m not sure where my Dad picked it up actually but he was an electrician who worked in a big steel factory back in the 1950’s & 1960’s. He was a very friendly person & had a lot of immigrant friends who he learned food stuff from. For eg - going fishing with Greek coworkers taught him that octopus and squid could be eaten. The anglos only used them for bait here back in those days.

Dad made an electric spit with legs of steel plate and a long pole so the mechanism was well out of the way of the fires he would build in a shallow pit in our yard.

We would do a whole beast (occasionally sheep featured) a few times a year. My Mum was in her element creating canapé platters with curled celery & radish roses. Piping curried egg yolk back into halved whites and garnishing with curly parsley.

Thanks for the memories.

Frizz

Portuguese squid stew I cooked tonight based on my mother-in-law's recipe with my own twist of frying the tenticles to use as croûtons.

Lovely - I keep meaning to do my slow-cooked squid recipe. I have squid in the freezer. If you have time - can you post your MIL's recipe?

A new recipe, vegan cheese fondue with vegan sausages, vegan sausage rolls, some cooked veg (broccoli, butternut squash and asparagus) plus raw veg (carrot, cucumber, celery, tomatoes and spring onion) and tofu plus kalamati olives.

Some of it prepared by me and some by my husband. I'll let you guess who prepared and served what!

20190213175528_IMG_1818.JPG
20190213175540_IMG_1819.JPG
20190213175606_IMG_1820.JPG

Despite what the vegan cheese fondue looks like ,it tasted really good .

Another defrosted chilli con carne this evening. An old one (I guess) considering how much it had matured. I had to toast the bread as the accompaniment as that had been in the freezer for a few days..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom