What did you cook, eat or drink today (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another defrosted chilli con carne this evening. An old one (I guess) considering how much it had matured. I had to toast the bread as the accompaniment as that had been in the freezer for a few days..

Did it lose its heat? I opened a jar of mustard I'd had for 2 years yesterday. I bulk bought lots of jars because I could only get this brand on-line and it was the hottest mustard I'd ever tasted - like Colemans English mustard x 10! But - it seemed to have mellowed in the jar and was not really hot at all. :mad:

Difficult to know. It was quite hot. I've stopped labelling my frozen stuff because the labels fall off. It could have been three weeks old or 6 months old.

Apparently masking tape works well in the freezer and is easily removed and replaced. I sometimes use a permanent marker on plastic tubs - but of course if you want to use the tubs for anything else you can't change the 'label'. I must try masking tape - its not very pretty but who cares?

Apparently masking tape works well in the freezer and is easily removed and replaced. I sometimes use a permanent marker on plastic tubs - but of course if you want to use the tubs for anything else you can't change the 'label'. I must try masking tape - its not very pretty but who cares?
I have some purple masking tape - leftovers/end of roll from the spray painters in the body shop I worked admin for last year.

Valentine’s here today. We don’t make a fuss but I was headed into Sydney for a meeting in a place I thought I might have a chance of a bargain & maybe some fresh seafood do I took the Esky filled with frozen blocks just in case.

I’ve been craving a decent feed of seafood for a while and every time I ask OH to suggest a meal idea for the weekly plan he asks for something seafood related but we can’t source much here.

Misto do mare.
0A5BEAA4-7E26-488C-8664-0C2FDF88DA6F.jpeg

I have been trying (for almost 20 years) to build up a stock of "Tupperware" type containers (250, 500, 1000, and 1500 ml). Unfortunately the quality leaves much to be desired and if I concentrated on buying the product of one manufacturer, they would soon discontinue the line. The lids are suspect and deteriorate in the freezer therefore I have a multitude of containers which either do not have lids or I cannot find the lids.

And those are the ones that are not in the freezer!

Valentine’s here today. We don’t make a fuss but I was headed into Sydney for a meeting in a place I thought I might have a chance of a bargain & maybe some fresh seafood do I took the Esky filled with frozen blocks just in case.

I’ve been craving a decent feed of seafood for a while and every time I ask OH to suggest a meal idea for the weekly plan he asks for something seafood related but we can’t source much here.

Misto do mare.
View attachment 22416

This looks fabulous! Great photo too,

I was reading about fennel pollen recently - how do you buy it?

Good ole Amazon. When we went to that huge Farmer's Market a few weeks ago, stopped at a couple of spice stalls that are really good size and neither one had it. The one lady that carried some more exotic spices said there wasn't enough interest and it was just too expensive (it's not cheap, not as bad as saffron, but...) for her to carry. She suggested trying Persian or Indian markets, then I said I'd probably just order off Amazon, and she said or there. I got this one.

The smell just smacks you in the face when you open the bag, it comes in a little plastic bag inside the tin. It's a fennel smell but stronger and earthy/muskier is the only way I can think of to describe it. This is the second time I've used it, but for the life of me can't remember the first. Going to have to go back and look cause now it's going to drive me crazy.

Ah, found it. I used some in an aioli for flatbreads with porchetta.

Last edited:
Good ole Amazon. When we went to that huge Farmer's Market a few weeks ago, stopped at a couple of spice stalls that are really good size and neither one had it. The one lady that carried some more exotic spices said there wasn't enough interest and it was just too expensive (it's not cheap, not as bad as saffron, but...) for her to carry. She suggested trying Persian or Indian markets, then I said I'd probably just order off Amazon, and she said or there. I got this one.

The smell just smacks you in the face when you open the bag, it comes in a little plastic bag inside the tin. It's a fennel smell but stronger and earthy/muskier is the only way I can think of to describe it. This is the second time I've used it, but for the life of me can't remember the first. Going to have to go back and look cause now it's going to drive me crazy.

Ah, found it. I used some in an aioli for flatbreads with porchetta.

I hunted about and came up with a very good value deal - https://www.melburyandappleton.co.uk/wild-fennel-pollen-50g-spice-of-angels-10540-p.asp. £14.99 is approximately $19 - which for 50grams seems exceptionally good! I think this amount will last ages so I'll probably give some away!

Can't wait to try it.

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 15.16.47.png

Actually, now that I read that ad, I remember a TV show that was on upscale chocolate places. One of them was truffles with fennel pollen as part of the truffle and also decorating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom