What did you cook/eat today (December 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the best ratatouille either of us has had and actually made him like the dish. Presumably the exceptionally fresh aubergine and courgettes helped.

Nothing beats really fresh ingredients prepared by a good cook

It was followed up with a little bit of dairy free salted caramel Almond milk ice-cream (shop bought but very good).

Was that 'Almond Dream'? That is very nice. Another to try in BoojaBooja, but this is VERY expensive and I think only available in the UK. I've not tried the Ben and Jerry's vegan icecream as it is also expensive and yet to try Aldi's own. Sorry, most unhelpful but you got me thinking about icecream :)

Nothing beats really fresh ingredients prepared by a good cook

Was that 'Almond Dream'? That is very nice. Another to try in BoojaBooja, but this is VERY expensive and I think only available in the UK. I've not tried the Ben and Jerry's vegan icecream as it is also expensive and yet to try Aldi's own. Sorry, most unhelpful but you got me thinking about icecream :)
I'm not sure if it is Almond dream, it could be.

I know booja booja very well. I've eaten that one for decades. I used to make one very similar to it from cashew nuts, agave nectar, cacao powder and something else (can't remember now) but it was very rich and very good, just not quite to the booja booja standards. We can get the normal chocolates here but their ice cream is limited to one or two stores in the major cities. Ironically Canberra despite being the capital city of Australia does not qualify as a major city in Australia though we do now have an international airport (but in all honesty you can't tell... You can get off a flight and be in your car inside 20 minutes from landing).
Sadly Ben's and jerry's vegan ice cream had not yet been launched over here but we do have an excellent range of coconut milk ice cream and some sublime doesr milk ones as well. The 'cheap' chocolate soya milk one is excellent (by sanatorium I think).

Another to try in BoojaBooja, but this is VERY expensive and I think only available in the UK.
Riverford sell Booja chocolate from time to time, but I agree it is very expensive, and they only seem to be doing truffles at the moment. A lot of their products are available globally, especially it seems in Australia.

IMG_1079.JPG

Absolutely stunning color from the latest batch of pickled red onions. I always make my red onions the same way: 1 cup of water, 1 cup of vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar, a teaspoon of salt, and red onions. This time, I added something that I recently found out about: Gochujang powder.

I think I can attribute the rose-like color to this new ingredient. It's also slightly spicy. And, in this picture, it actually looks like a rose. I think I'll take another picture:
:pics:

Last edited:
Very nice. I have never seen that in powder form. It’s fermented chilli & soy bean if I’m thinking of the correct thing.

A very different type of satay chicken skewers & sauce from one of my favourite bloggers.

Serving with a shredded carrot, cabbage & spring onion rice noodle salad with a heap of coriander, mint & Thai basil. Lime chilli dressing.

I spent a long time today making this curry and accompaniment and as usual, I didn't then feel inclined to eat it. However, I did and it was exceptionally good.

Bratfud Bangla with "dry" potatoes and cauliflower and a boiled egg.

with potatoes 2 s.jpg

[Edit: The serving was only 10% of the curry and 1/3rd of the spuds]

Last edited:
Today we have had tomato and avocado sandwiches. Off in a minute to see Star Wars!

Hoping the snow holds off over the east and west midlands so my sister and her husband and children, and my husband and I can get to my patents for 'Christmas dinner'. Mum and I are doing traditional but lazy! with packet stuffing, bread sauce and gravy. We have done so much cooking over the past week we wanted to do something easy so a roast with bought extras it is. My sister is not a cook so does not mind, and mum and I are pleased for the rest even if we will miss the delicious homemade side-dishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom