What did you cook/eat today (December 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wise lady. I admit I do buy the packet mixes during the year but I should really get in the habit of freezing the last slice or two of a loaf for sauce/stuffing

Although this is effectively a "starter" and normally served with onion gravy it is an interesting poultry stuffing alternative:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/seasoned-bread-pudding.8054/

seasoned pudding.jpg

With apologies to @Francesca for the lack of authenticity, but we had a tapas spread for lunch today.

From left to right: Boquerones, a garden salad, Jamon Iberico, Patatas Bravas, Smoked Garlic Mayonaise, Chorizo in Red Wine, Olives, and Sobrasada and Goats Cheese toasts.

View attachment 12482

Yes it did taste as good as it looks :thumbsup:

@morning glory
Your Sauce Picante looks wonderful. How did it taste? G wants to know if you used lemon.

@Francesca
I love beef wellington. I have only made it a couple of times. I did not find the prep work overwhelming. The second time I made it I prepped the day before. It was actually better. Did you use Duxelles? Did you include the chestnuts? When I made it I followed his recipe without chestnuts. I used Cremini mushrooms for the Duxelles. A spectacular dish.

We took a young Zimbabwean lady to my parents today for a traditional boxing day. A walk followed by cold meats, my home made chutney, bubble and squeak, and leftover red cabbage. Then steamed syrup pudding. Then we made her try the selection of cheeses - she liked all the English cheese but not the french!

Now I am tucked up in my home with a jar of olives :)

Dinner is herbal fennel tea,some piece of Asiago cheese accompanied with rhubarb jam that my sister in law gave to me for Xmas.
I have also had breakfast this morning with it: green tea, toasted whole wheat bread and rhubarb jam.I really love this taste, I think it will be one of my faves jams.

Last edited:
It’s been a huge few days on the food front.

My sister in law decided on a Mexican food themed Xmas eve. The Xmas eve salad is so good. Google it.

Then Xmas breakfast bagels

4F6454FD-522D-46A6-AD24-BE2D84B5BDA8.jpeg

And coffee from my shiny new machine from OH.

8CB5E75E-026D-4B4E-B210-BE3EDE41EF3C.jpeg

Then champagne & cocktails & biscuits & chocolates.

Lunch & dinner were riffs on the ham, chicken, cold prawns, deep fried calamari, a heap of salads, bread etc. Followed by home made ice creams & pavlova.

Then we all chilled out with a xmas movie.

Dinner (tea?) included a dessert course of cheese. All the cheese.

This picture below was taken while my 17yo daughter was getting tea ready & the rest of us watched the movie.

B8CE949E-B89D-4EC8-A6C6-D0E24B35C6AA.jpeg

Of course we are living on leftovers.

Boxing Day dinner for me was cold meat, potato cakes made from parsnip, carrots and potatoes, freshly cooked Brussels sprouts, bread sauce, stuffing and pickles. followed by another third of the Christmas pudding served with lashings of home made custard. One serving of duck went in the freezer, plus the carcass for making stock later. after treating the animals to some more bits and pieces with their dinner. The remaining third of the Christmas pudding, and the leftover bread sauce and stuffing all went in the freezer too.

As for the gammon joint. I know the Tesco delivery driver said it was slightly larger than the one I'd ordered, but I managed to freeze another 16 servings of it!!! I'll be eating roast gammon from now till kingdom come. Still I can't complain. As it was a substitution, it only cost me £5 :roflmao:

Yum I love tortellini in broth.

I didn’t cook tonight. We were invited for drinks by my father in law (FIL) so I knew there would be cheese, crackers, dips & crisps etc. I took a platter of crudités & another of sliced fruit to balance out the naughty treats.

Hubby cooked whilst I slept this afternoon. He raided the veg plot for aubergine (4 of) and courgettes (many) and made a sublime ratatouille. It was served quite simply with a slice of bread and 2 eggs pushed in the ratatouille sauce (though there was very little sauce if we were honest about it). It was the best ratatouille either of us has had and actually made him like the dish. Presumably the exceptionally fresh aubergine and courgettes helped. I'll try for a photo tomorrow. I was far too asleep to remember to take one when he served it. It was followed up with a little bit of dairy free salted caramel Almond milk ice-cream (shop bought but very good).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom