What did you cook/eat today (December 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, as you know Ignazio is from Sardinia and since there are approx 200 Italian Restaurants including Trattorias in Madrid, he decided to do Sardinian regional and Sicilian.

Can you post a link to the new Ignazio Trattoria ? My daughter is going to Madrid in January and I'm sure she would love it.

I'm super hungry today and you people are not helping. So much beautiful food.

Those prawns :hungry:

and @Francesca that meal. Wow.

Sadly today doesn't include seafood here.

I found a Middle East inspired lamb & lentil sauce with a scent of cinnamon in the freezer. I tossed it through pasta & put it into a dish with bechamel. I will bake it later (it's not lunch time yet, and this will be the evening meal) and serve it with salad.

@MypinchofItaly

Firstly, as you know Ignazio is from Sardinia and since there are approx 200 Italian Restaurants including Trattorias in Madrid, he decided to do Sardinian regional and Sicilian.

The bread basket was heaven on earth & included a rustic round bread called: Civraxiu ..

To start off, Ignazio and my husband and I know each other approx. 10 - 12 years .. So, he brought out some appetisers ( Like an Antipasti but served on a slate board ) and a bottle of Prosecco.

My husband had the Linguini all´ Aragosta ( lobster ) and I had Cassola ( a shellfish, seafood & fish stew with Seppia = Squid ) ..

We shared the 2 dishes ..

We also shared a dessert too ! and had Sardinian Port which I am very fond of .. The dessert was Sicilian in products, and quite amazingly extraordinary. A citrus fruit cannolli filled with fresh made on the premises ricotta, Azahar - orange flower water, Sicilian White wine, citrus fruit, vanilla Golden sugar, orange zest and black chocolate too.

And 2 doublé Espressos !!!!

Have a lovely evening ..

Interesting...being Ignazio from Sardinia, not seadas as dessert, not Vermentino instead of Prosecco?
My aunts in Sardinia made Civraxiu bread, very good, and also Carasau bread and malloreddus (typical little dumplings)..did you ever eat malloreddus?

@MypinchofItaly

The bread was heaven on earth.

Yes, I have eaten Malloreddus in Sardinia .. We had the special as the lobsters were fresh ..

Seadas were not on the Menu and he suggested the Cannolli as they were prepared by hand ( from scratch) and it is my fave Sicilian dessert ! I so rarely have the opportunity to have one that is amazingly exceptional.

We had Prosecco as it was a gift from Ignazio .. It was truly a gem .. One of the best I have had outside of Italy ..

We shall be in Madrid again for the Gastro Eno Trade Fair and the Travel Tourism Convention ( Fitur ) in late January, so another gastro adventure at Ignazio´s ..

Have a marvelous day ..

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly

The bread basket was heaven on earth & included a rustic round bread called: Civraxiu ..

To start off, Ignazio and my husband and I know each other approx. 10 - 12 years .. So, he brought out some appetisers ( Like an Antipasti but served on a slate board ) and a bottle of Prosecco.

My husband had the Linguini all´ Aragosta ( lobster ) and I had Cassola ( a shellfish, seafood & fish stew with Seppia = Squid ) ..

We shared the 2 dishes ..

We also shared a dessert too ! and had Sardinian Port which I am very fond of .. The dessert was Sicilian in products, and quite amazingly extraordinary. A citrus fruit cannolli filled with fresh made on the premises ricotta, Azahar - orange flower water, Sicilian White wine, citrus fruit, vanilla Golden sugar, orange zest and black chocolate too.

And 2 doublé Espressos !!!!

Have a lovely evening ..

@ElizabethB & @Frizz1974

Absolutely the best Italian Restaurant in Spain .. ( Owned by: Sardinian Ignazio Deia )

Simply sensational ..

Thank you and have a lovely day ..

Gammon, poached egg, jacket and peas (cocked up the egg, I'm afraid).

gammon egg jacket 2 s.jpg

Aromatic vegetable pasty with a freekeh salad. (it's my usual rice salad recipe using freekeh or bean wheat instead of rice, so freekeh, spring onion, pomegranate, green pepper, yellow pepper, roasted pumpkin seeds and roasted sunflower seeds in a lemon juice, EVOO, mustard powder and pomegranate molasses dressing). Apologies regarding the light, when the sunsets here it gets very intense on the dining room table. My hubby served and dealt with presentation.

DSC_2467.JPG

@Francesca tomorrow I try the aubergine Tarte Tatin with filo pastry.

Aromatic vegetable pasty with a freekeh salad. (it's my usual rice salad recipe using freekeh or bean wheat instead of rice, so freekeh, spring onion, pomegranate, green pepper, yellow pepper, roasted pumpkin seeds and roasted sunflower seeds in a lemon juice, EVOO, mustard powder and pomegranate molasses dressing). Apologies regarding the light, when the sunsets here it gets very intense on the dining room table. My hubby served and dealt with presentation.

View attachment 12054

@Francesca tomorrow I try the aubergine Tarte Tatin with filo pastry.

@Sat,

Pomegranates are a lovely lovely touch in salads ..

This looks truly wonderful ..

One question, is this rice ? and which rice do you usually use for this salad ? A long grain or a Basmati ? The photo seems to have a short grain I have never seen .. Almost like a coarse couscous form .. Is this Freekeh ?

I am uncertain what Freekeh is ?

I am pleased to hear that you are trying the aubergine tatin .. Good luck with it ..

Have a nice day ..

*** Lunch today: A local tavern with my staff .. Not sure, as I have not yet seen the Menu del Dia = daily laboral Menu ..

Last edited:
We had beef stew last night, cubes of beef cut from a b/l chuck roast, chunks of carrots, potatoes, pearl onions, and mushrooms. Corn pancakes to go with. It got really cold here for us, dropped 40 degrees in less than 12 hours, though coolish weather will only last for a few days, went from a record of 86 F to mid 40's. So, we decided to take advantage and have a cold weather meal.

@Sat,

Pomegranates are a lovely lovely touch in salads ..

This looks truly wonderful ..

One question, is this rice ? and which rice do you usually use for this salad ? A long grain or a Basmati ? The photo seems to have a short grain I have never seen .. Almost like a coarse couscous form .. Is this Freekeh ?

I am uncertain what Freekeh is ?

I am pleased to hear that you are trying the aubergine tatin .. Good luck with it ..

Have a nice day ..

*** Lunch today: A local tavern with my staff .. Not sure, as I have not yet seen the Menu del Dia = daily laboral Menu ..

I have used the same recipe that I normally use for a rice salad but changed the rice for freekeh instead. If i was using rice is use a nice wholewheat brown rice, medium gained. One of the ones that takes a good 45 minutes to cook and has an excellent nutty flavour and is chewy.
In this instance I have used freekeh instead of rice. This version of the freekeh is a cracked version rather than a whole grain version. Freekeh is simply durum wheat that had been harvested before it had fully ripened. It is sun dried and then carefully set on fire to remove the chaff and stalk, leaving the grain which survives because it had such a high moisture content having been harvested before its ripe. It is of Mediterranean origin, but of North African round to Syria origin. So basically it is a roasted durum what grain. Freekeh being the name of the technique rather than the actual grain. Hope that helps.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Thank you very much. Shall definitely take a look in the Health Food Market and at the Mid Eastern Stalls at the La Boqueria .. Yes, it has been a big help. If I cannot get it, I can get bio whole wheat Brown rice without a problem & order it online and also speak to a Syrian friend of my husband who lives here 35 years.

All my best, and have a lovely evening / day ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom