What did you cook/eat today (July 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday - thanks to @MypinchofItaly: Tuscan Panzanella

20170722_142926.jpg

That Panzanella looks lovely.

Today I tried Yorkshire fishcakes (the ones with sliced potato and fish. (Recipe here).
I found the potato needed to be on the thin side of 1/4" and I added a teaspoon of bicarb just before dipping the potato/fish into the batter and so the batter bubbled up and made a nice light, crispy coating. I made them gluten free by using GF flour and cider vinegar. Very tasty and filling. We had it with a simple salad but I will be more organised next time and have proper mushy peas, or minted garden peas.

I've not exactly been banned from the kitchen this past week, but Mrs. E had commented that I had kind of taken over the kitchen of late, and become just a little bit obsessive about cooking. Anyway, to redress the balance, she undertook to cook for the week, which actually suited me as I was rather busy with work stuff. Despite the fact that she has cooked up some marvellous food I have been getting withdrawal symptoms. I did make the occasional foray into the kitchen, being unable to resist the odd prod and poke at whatever she was cooking, but good sense prevented me from coming out with "no, you don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this.." Actually, it was less to do with good sense and more to do with steely looks that could have stopped a raging elephant at fifty paces.

Anyway, my week off culminated yesterday in a splendid lunch of Moules Normandes:
View attachment 9309

Last night I finally got back into the kitchen all on my own, and managed a pork tenderloin stuffed with black pudding (wrapped in bacon), and a mustard sauce. Not the prettiest dish, but it's great to be back!
View attachment 9310
Was it really the steely looks or the steel that was either in her hand or close to her hand?
Today was chinese.

...good sense prevented me from coming out with "no, you don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this.." Actually, it was less to do with good sense and more to do with steely looks that could have stopped a raging elephant at fifty paces...
You are a smart man, @epicuric.

Thanks to @MypinchofItaly's post a few days back, I've been inspired to make another supper of Panzanella. Photos to phollow when we eat. Hubby is currently cutting grass and I do NOT want to interrupt, lest he loses interest. :D I'd better get busy putting it together, too, since it's close to being too dark to cut.

Anyway, my week off culminated yesterday in a splendid lunch of Moules Normandes:
View attachment 9309

Last night I finally got back into the kitchen all on my own, and managed a pork tenderloin stuffed with black pudding (wrapped in bacon), and a mustard sauce. Not the prettiest dish, but it's great to be back!
View attachment 9310

Recipes, s'il vous plait?

Those look wonderful. We are planning to visit friends this summer who are from Normandy. They own a small resort on Lake Champlain, so I'd love to take over their kitchen and make the mussels for them.

Last edited:
You are a smart man, @epicuric.

Thanks to @MypinchofItaly's post a few days back, I've been inspired to make another supper of Panzanella. Photos to phollow when we eat. Hubby is currently cutting grass and I do NOT want to interrupt, lest he loses interest. :D I'd better get busy putting it together, too, since it's close to being too dark to cut.

:thumbsup: and @Lynne Guinne your Panzanella is very delicious too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom