What did you cook/eat today (July 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday night's dinner was pizza with plenty of cheese, plenty of tomatoes, plenty of onions, and plenty of garlic.

Sunday dinner was cabbage curry with rice and flatbreads.

Cabbage curry.jpg

That is the first I've heard of "cabbage curry".

[And I've had some strange curries!]

That is the first I've heard of "cabbage curry".

[And I've had some strange curries!]
Bandhgobi Turrcarri, according to one of my cookery books. In fact, the recipe I used is a "take" on the one in there. There are quite a few [different] recipes on the internet.

Tried to cook a little today. stuffed pork tenderloin with roasted potatoes and corn on the cob

My wife bought three ears of corn in the market this evening, unfortunately after I'd finished my meal. They were cooked already but I'm hoping at least one will be OK to heat up tomorrow. I'll go for the yellow one for no other reason that it just looks better.

corn on the cob s.jpg

[Edit: @morning glory : It was dark so I needed to use flash. The camera was central, the corn at 12 o'clock and the flash was bounced from the ceiling at about 8 o'clock from the rear]

Last edited:
My wife bought three ears of corn in the market this evening, unfortunately after I'd finished my meal. They were cooked already but I'm hoping at least one will be OK to heat up tomorrow. I'll go for the yellow one for no other reason that it just looks better.

It's a good job I stamped my name on the yellow one. She's eaten the other two already!

IMG_0824.JPG

I actually made this naan bread yesterday for my brother, who is gluten-intolerant, and - for added fun - also can't have yeast. He also said not to use yogurt (a normal naan bread ingredient) because he can't have dairy. Don't ask what condition he has: I think he's a bit of a hypochondriac, but this diet of his has really helped him with not getting sick as often (hence my suspicion about hypochondria).

The flavors are the same as my usual naan bread, but the texture was...not quite as fluffy and amazing as the puffy gluten bomb I usually make. It was a step above "cracker", but a step below what I'd call a proper bread.

The baking powder didn't do much, and I'm trying to figure out why. When I put baking powder in a cupcake mix, for example, the cupcakes double in size. I decided to cook on a sheet pan in the oven, rather than on the stove, because I was concern about it drying out. But, I also know that I baked it longer than I would have pan cooked it because I wanted to see it rise, and because I wanted to get it browned. Maybe I had it backwards? Maybe I didn't make the dough wet enough (though it felt comparable to other kinds of dough where I've had better results)?

This is comparable to what happened the last time I tried to make a gluten free bread. The taste was actually very good. And, paired with hummus, it was tasty. But, can anyone give me a suggestion about how to address the lack of rise, and the general dryness?

I've tried making and cooking naan bread even using a tandoor but have had limited success. I've settled for frozen naan at US$ 1.00 each now.

Tried to cook a little today. stuffed pork tenderloin with roasted potatoes and corn on the cob
adKwWYA.jpg
I think this is the third time i've seen pork tenderloin mentioned in meals during the past week! Maybe worth a thread all on it's own.

Looks very tender - it's so easy to dry it out. I know you're a bust man at the moment, but care to share your recipe when you have a bit more time? Is tenderloin as cheap over there as it is here (I think I paid around £6/kilo)?

I've tried making and cooking naan bread even using a tandoor but have had limited success. I've settled for frozen naan at US$ 1.00 each now.
I've always bought naan bread from the supermarket in the past, but the last ones I got were rather disappointing - that was a few years ago now, and I haven't had them since. Maybe I should try making my own.

Is tenderloin as cheap over there as it is here (I think I paid around £6/kilo)?
It's very close to that price in the US, and even cheaper if you do just buy the whole pork shoulder. I bought 8 lb (3.6 kg) of pork shoulder an an insanely reduced 99 cents/lb. I used the bone to make a stock, and parts of it for sausage, but I could trim out the fat if I took the time to make a lean dish.

View attachment 9327

I actually made this naan bread yesterday for my brother, who is gluten-intolerant, and - for added fun - also can't have yeast. He also said not to use yogurt (a normal naan bread ingredient) because he can't have dairy. Don't ask what condition he has: I think he's a bit of a hypochondriac, but this diet of his has really helped him with not getting sick as often (hence my suspicion about hypochondria).

The flavors are the same as my usual naan bread, but the texture was...not quite as fluffy and amazing as the puffy gluten bomb I usually make. It was a step above "cracker", but a step below what I'd call a proper bread.

The baking powder didn't do much, and I'm trying to figure out why. When I put baking powder in a cupcake mix, for example, the cupcakes double in size. I decided to cook on a sheet pan in the oven, rather than on the stove, because I was concern about it drying out. But, I also know that I baked it longer than I would have pan cooked it because I wanted to see it rise, and because I wanted to get it browned. Maybe I had it backwards? Maybe I didn't make the dough wet enough (though it felt comparable to other kinds of dough where I've had better results)?

This is comparable to what happened the last time I tried to make a gluten free bread. The taste was actually very good. And, paired with hummus, it was tasty. But, can anyone give me a suggestion about how to address the lack of rise, and the general dryness?
Baking powder is weird. In flat breads, it doesn't do much. On the dryness, no clue.
On the baking powder, what brand and how old? Also how long has it been opened?

I decided to be cheap the time before last when I bought baking powder. Picked up a store brand. The first two things I baked worked perfectly. After that, it did nothing. I went back to Clabber Girl.
I think the baking powders went to the top and the filler was at the bottom.

Baking powder is weird. In flat breads, it doesn't do much. On the dryness, no clue.
On the baking powder, what brand and how old? Also how long has it been opened?
The baking powder has worked on other things I've made recently (2 weeks ago, in fact), but this gluten-free, yogurt-free, sugar free, yeast-free naan bread ended up being a very, very flatbread. He liked it, at least, but it always bothers me when something I make doesn't turn out the way I want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom