What did you cook/eat today (July 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The baking powder has worked on other things I've made recently (2 weeks ago, in fact), but this gluten-free, yogurt-free, sugar free, yeast-free naan bread ended up being a very, very flatbread. He liked it, at least, but it always bothers me when something I make doesn't turn out the way I want it.
It may not have been the baking powder. It may have just been the recipe.
Overworked, underworked, too much of this, too little of that, too much humidity in the air, too little humidity in the air. Too hot, too cold. Or it could just be that was a recipe for a flat, flatbread.
Why do I feel like I just rewrote Goldilocks?

The different corns are interesting. After having an odd encounter in the local supermarket trying to find 'popping corn' I was looking up different types of corn.

Tonight's meal was summer rolls and dips. We have been eating these about four times a week this summer. So lovely with fresh herbs and veg, and occasionally prawns. I've tried six different dips and adapted the recipes but cant find them! (having some construction work done at home so cant find anything). I made two ok dips tonight but will wait until I find the other ones to post a recipe.

We found a lovely Chinese cash and carry that also sells Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese etc. ingredients to supply mainly local restaurants, but they also are open to the public and run a mini bus service to the two local universities for students!

We found a lovely Chinese cash and carry that also sells Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese etc. ingredients to supply mainly local restaurants, but they also are open to the public and run a mini bus service to the two local universities for students!
I find places like this every so often, and they're a nice surprise: I go in expecting to just dine, and I end up taking ingredients home, or I go in expecting to buy ingredients, and I end up staying for dinner!

The different corns are interesting. After having an odd encounter in the local supermarket trying to find 'popping corn' I was looking up different types of corn.

Tonight's meal was summer rolls and dips. We have been eating these about four times a week this summer. So lovely with fresh herbs and veg, and occasionally prawns. I've tried six different dips and adapted the recipes but cant find them! (having some construction work done at home so cant find anything). I made two ok dips tonight but will wait until I find the other ones to post a recipe.

Do you mean popping corn that is still on the cob, or popping corn that is in bags?
The first is hard to find, the second is on the chip/crisps aisle in the states.
Oh we also have microwave popping corn.

Recipes, s'il vous plait?

Those look wonderful. We are planning to visit friends this summer who are from Normandy. They own a small resort on Lake Champlain, so I'd love to take over their kitchen and make the mussels for them.

Mais oui, d'accord!

I can't remember where we originally found a recipe for these about three years ago - we probably cook them a couple of times a month, so now make it up as we go along. A quick trawl through my cookbooks and Elizabeth David, Michel Roux and Anthony Bourdain all have quite different variants. I think it’s typical regional recipe stuff – everyone has their own version, and so it should be. Roux uses cider and fish stock, David uses cider but no fish stock or bacon, Bourdain uses Calvados and bacon but no fish stock. I think as long as you remember the basis of a good Normande sauce is butter, cream and apples, you won’t go far wrong. For what it’s worth, here is my version:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/moules-normandes-mussels-in-a-normandy-sauce.10490/

Last edited:
I find places like this every so often, and they're a nice surprise: I go in expecting to just dine, and I end up taking ingredients home, or I go in expecting to buy ingredients, and I end up staying for dinner!

Unfortunately dining in is not an option as is just a warehouse of food and cooking utensils. Dining in would be both great and dangerous (dangerous on finance and weight!). There is another cash and carry near us that sells Indian, Pakistani, Kurdish, Iranian, etc. ingredients (also to local restaurants). And there was be thinking we would miss London. Well we do for Turkish (Olives, olive oil, vine leaves, etc.) and decent restaurants, but can't complain on most ingredients!

I think this is the third time i've seen pork tenderloin mentioned in meals during the past week! Maybe worth a thread all on it's own.

Looks very tender - it's so easy to dry it out. I know you're a bust man at the moment, but care to share your recipe when you have a bit more time? Is tenderloin as cheap over there as it is here (I think I paid around £6/kilo)?
No probs. I just sauteed some chopped onion, garlic, tomato, peppers, mushrooms in a bit of olive oil with some rosemary..let it cool...Slice the pork tenderloin length ways to butterfly it. Pound it out until you get a nice rectangle. Line your ingredients up in the center and roll the pork tenderloin up around it. Tie it with a few lenghts of string. Roll it in bread crumbs. I heated up some olive oil in a roasting pan at 350 Fahrenheit.. pull it out and place the breaded pork loin in. I turned it every 10 minutes until it was done. About half an hour...let it sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing it up..

It's very close to that price in the US, and even cheaper if you do just buy the whole pork shoulder. I bought 8 lb (3.6 kg) of pork shoulder an an insanely reduced 99 cents/lb. I used the bone to make a stock, and parts of it for sausage, but I could trim out the fat if I took the time to make a lean dish.
I don't know how they grow pigs up in Detroit, but I've never seen tenderloin from the shoulder. It's the length of darker meat on the inside (curved) side of the ribs.

3d8763001db6577fe8de617b62b62c50.jpg

It's usually a pricier cut if you shop a store that knows how to market trends, but I get my tenderloins from a tiny local grocery store that puts them on sale frequently. You just have to know where to shop to get the best price.

I have milk that needs using up soon, so I made macaroni and cheese with bits of ham for supper. While the casserole dish was baking, I tossed some broccoli in oil/salt/pepper and roasted them in the oven, too. Added a half of tomato to each of our plates for color. We have enough mac-and-cheese left over for one supper for two if it's just that and a salad, or two suppers if it's the starch side for a protein and veggie. Decisions, decisions...

20170724_215543.jpg

I popped the sweetcorn (after stripping) in the m/w for 1 minute and it was very OK - still squeaky and crunchy. I put it with pan fried gammon, a boiled egg, and the remainder of the tinned new potatoes with plenty of butter for my dinner tonight. Mustard also, of course.

gammon sweet corn 3 s.jpg

gammon sweet corn 3 egg s.jpg

I tried again this morning and it uploaded no problem.

Last edited:
I couldn't upload the egg image to Cookingbites. That image is from my website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom